Overclocking - A Hot Mess?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dannar, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dannar

dannar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just like a computer (and let's not kid ourselves, these smart phones are hand held computers) smart phones can be overclocked. But in doing so, I imagine you'll get worse battery life out of your device. Even so, I see ROMs sporting about overclocked processors that somehow use a diminished voltage. It doesn't seem logical, is this a snake oil remedy?

Secondly, if one is overclocking their phone processor, will heat be an issue like it is with desk top computers? Will it diminish the life expectancy of the device?
  2. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    I have been over clocked for a year now.. ever since i rooted and over clocked i actually got better battery life. I will most likely not wait for my device to go bad i will upgrade soon so not concerned about it.
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +30
    the stock voltages are set high to run stable for everyone. most phones can handle lower voltages, and some can handle really low voltages. Just gotta play around with what works for ur processor.

Generally, the constant OCing of the phone will diminish the life but if you do it within reason, youll still get a long life out of your phone.