OverClocking 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

moset

Reaction score
I've been having heat problems since I got a CLN replacement months ago. I recently flashed RZ's baseline 0.4 ROM with RZ's 1.1Gig lv kernel and interactive gov. My heat problems seem to have gone.
I have read that interactive should cause these problems to be worse. But not so for me. It also seems that load averages are lower.
I haven't fully tested if problems return with on demand gov.
Any thoughts?
1 min load runs below 10 when working hard like streaming videos and around 1 or less most other times. Just now .61 and CPU temp is 28. Temp goes up to maybe 42 max.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
I have not been keeping up with this thread as much as I used to, but was there ever any definitive conclusion made as to weather or not "full stat collection" from the kernel was/is required to get the most accurate battery % & or if a kernel with "full stat collection" included vs a kernel without it affected battery life at all?

At first glance one might assume that a kernel with "full stat collection" might in itself demand more of the battery to "collect" since its performing more tasks, but then on the flipside, without that info "collected" may result in a slightly obscured battery readings.

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Interesting, now what kind of issuez could or may occur with the cpu locked in at 125mhz while the phone "sleeps" ? The most obvious would be lag when "waking" the phone, missed calls, but what other problems may occur? And would those issues still occur even if all ur apps are behaving ?

I usually have my "screen off" profile pinned at 250mhz & have not noticed any issues ever.....that I know of...

Question, someone told me that for your screen off profile you should always have 3 slots for the cpu to clock in between. Is this true?

That's a new one on me. And I can't think of a single reason why the Android OS would need that. All the OS needs is enough speed to keep up with the background tasks. So you could set the clock to stay at 600Mhz (one slot) and it shouldn't care in the least. Now if you set the clock to stay at 125Mhz only, I could see that causing an issue ;)

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Set Cpu Question

I apologize if this has already been discussed, in Set Cpu, in the "info" tab I was curious as to what each of the # listed in the "load average" line represents? Im showing 3 decimal #'s then a fraction then another #?

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Quadrant Question

Out of curiosity I sparringly run quadrant standard, I tried a lower voltage kernel than I usually run & when running I got a failed exception? is that because of the kernel, as I have never gotten that before?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed, in Set Cpu, in the "info" tab I was curious as to what each of the # listed in the "load average" line represents? Im showing 3 decimal #'s then a fraction then another #?

Load (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is probably the best explanation of what those numbers mean.

Out of curiosity I sparringly run quadrant standard, I tried a lower voltage kernel than I usually run & when running I got a failed exception? is that because of the kernel, as I have never gotten that before?

Yes, that is a symptom of a voltage that is too low and the CPU and or Memory failing to work as expected.

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Finally tried something and took setcpu off the phone completely. Honestly, the phone seems to run better with better battery life. I'm starting to get the impression that the closer to stock you can run (i.e. no setcpu, stock launcher, stock browser, etc) the better the phone will perform and the better the battery life.

For reference I'm now using Pete's GPA14 with his stock 600mhz sv kernel. Phone runs great! Great battery too. I've been running the battery for 7 hours at the time of this composition and the battery is at 80%. So I'm bi-winning!

My conclusion. Keep as close to stock as you can! Don't modify settings (i.e. setcpu, taskkillers, memory optimers, etc) that Google didn't intend. Of course, these are just the opinions from a tech laymen, but I turn them over to the viewing audience of this forum nonetheless.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
First off, Google has nothing to do with the design of these phones; only the software, and not as much as you might think. Secondly, you're preventing your phone from running Flash by running the 600MHz kernel. Flash requires 800MHz on a Linux platform, which is why Motorola put an 800MHz kernel on these phones for FroYo -- the phone only "naturally" clocks up to 800MHz when you're running Flash no matter what you're doing if you're not overclocking, so it tops out at 600MHz anyway. Third, if you're not overclocking the phone then you're not sucking the battery dry any faster than if you were stock from the CPU, so... Bi-win all you want. Overclocking the phone, even with a low-voltage kernel, is still overclocking and drawing more juice than 600MHz stock. Period. :)

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^+1

@aggiechase37 with that logic why root at all? Or download apps for that matter.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Closed at OPs request.

Status
Not open for further replies.