OverClocking 101

Discussion in 'Tech Guides for root users' started by Skull One, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

Ok, one issue that may present itself later on as the batteries get older is the fact the profile in batterystats.bin will be built off of combined data. Which means if one battery starts getting weaker sooner, the OS will try to report the drainage based on the overall profile until it does a full battery check. This will show up as a sudden drop from say 60% full one second to showing 20% full the next. When you start to see that behavior, you may wish to delete batterystats.bin and let it rebuild with the new condition so you get a better idea of the drain rate.

Most of the Gingerbread ROMs built straight from AOSP show the LED issue. A few ROM makers that go beyond AOSP have tried to fix the issue with varying degrees of success.

If the LED and phone stability is important, I can highly recommend Sapphire 2.0.2 by cvpcs as a very stable Froyo 2.2 ROM. It has a very good set of extended features over AOSP built ROMs.

2. jksell07

jksell07 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Most of the Gingerbread ROMs built straight from AOSP show the LED issue. A few ROM makers that go beyond AOSP have tried to fix the issue with varying degrees of success.

If the LED and phone stability is important, I can highly recommend Sapphire 2.0.2 by cvpcs as a very stable Froyo 2.2 ROM. It has a very good set of extended features over AOSP built ROMs.[/QUOTE]"

The only Gingerbread rom I've tried is liquid's and I haven't had any notification problems.

#626 jksell07, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. jksell07

jksell07 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

4. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

That's because Liquid's ROM isn't straight AOSP. It is modified :)

5. Dunnski21

Dunnski21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Skull One,

I just flashed Peter's GPA12 and his new 1ghz kernel. On his blog he posted the actual voltages for each slot, for example the 225mhz slot was 32 volts,and the 1 ghz slot was 68 volts.

I understand the numbers for the most part, but I want a comparison to other kernels. I have not found any statistics anywhere on other kernels' voltages, just the fact that they are "low" or "Ultra-low".

I just came from MetickMod 1.0 with chevy's ulv 1ghz, and I was getting 14-18 hours on a school day. Today is my birthday and i got an extended life battery, and i am hoping peter's new kernel won't use more battery compared to chevy's.

let me know if you know where I can find other kernel's voltages.

6. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

68 Volts? That kind of power drain would kill the battery in 10 minutes or less. The number might be the hex value that the phone uses to calculate the actual voltage but it doubt it is the actual Voltage.

And very few kernel makers publish their numbers used for voltage. I gave up on trying to collect that information last July. Most developers consider it a "trade secret" for some odd reason.

7. moset

moset Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've been having heat problems since I got a CLN replacement months ago. I recently flashed RZ's baseline 0.4 ROM with RZ's 1.1Gig lv kernel and interactive gov. My heat problems seem to have gone.
    I have read that interactive should cause these problems to be worse. But not so for me. It also seems that load averages are lower.
    I haven't fully tested if problems return with on demand gov.
    Any thoughts?
    1 min load runs below 10 when working hard like streaming videos and around 1 or less most other times. Just now .61 and CPU temp is 28. Temp goes up to maybe 42 max.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

8. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not been keeping up with this thread as much as I used to, but was there ever any definitive conclusion made as to weather or not "full stat collection" from the kernel was/is required to get the most accurate battery % & or if a kernel with "full stat collection" included vs a kernel without it affected battery life at all?

At first glance one might assume that a kernel with "full stat collection" might in itself demand more of the battery to "collect" since its performing more tasks, but then on the flipside, without that info "collected" may result in a slightly obscured battery readings.

9. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, now what kind of issuez could or may occur with the cpu locked in at 125mhz while the phone "sleeps" ? The most obvious would be lag when "waking" the phone, missed calls, but what other problems may occur? And would those issues still occur even if all ur apps are behaving ?

I usually have my "screen off" profile pinned at 250mhz & have not noticed any issues ever.....that I know of...

10. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    I keep mine pegged at 125-250 or 400 on-demand and I've never missed a call, text, or had a problem waking up. That's on two different phones.

11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Set Cpu Question

I apologize if this has already been discussed, in Set Cpu, in the "info" tab I was curious as to what each of the # listed in the "load average" line represents? Im showing 3 decimal #'s then a fraction then another #?

12. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quadrant Question

Out of curiosity I sparringly run quadrant standard, I tried a lower voltage kernel than I usually run & when running I got a failed exception? is that because of the kernel, as I have never gotten that before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
android clocking
android ignore nice load
android nice load
clocking android
con up threshold
ignore nice load
ignore nice load android
nice load
nice load android