OverClocking 101

Discussion in 'Tech Guides for root users' started by Skull One, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Well I wonder if just simply my specific cpu likes conservative better for some reason. Cause once I made the switch life has been great...

Anyway, yeah definitely keep up the research! I'm excited to hear the results

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. jasonx9

jasonx9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in doing this how can I start it off I read it but dont understand how to get the program onto my phone.

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Overclocking for the Droid X is VERY different than the Droid 1, which this thread is dedicated to. You need a totally different app.

4. jasonx9

jasonx9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok well is there one for it because I am really looking into messing with my droid X to make it perform better i am not happy with the speed at the moment. It has alot of things I like about it but lacks a little bit when it comes to speed.

5. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Droid X/2 Overclock. JRummy16 is a local boy, too. :)

6. lonndoggie

lonndoggie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So either there is a difference in performance that you're keeping mum about, or the implication is that you're not very impressed with OnDemand, either, since they're about the same!

Seriously, I'm dying to see what your full report will be. It seems to me that Convservative's Advanced settings would make a better label for it ControlFreak, as it appears you get to tell the kernel at what CPU utilization it should ramp up, and at what it can ramp down--and by what percentage.

Assuming the labels for those values are correct, and actually work, that is. If so, seems like one would want to spend a bit of time dialing it in:

Ramping up at, say, 20% and down at 5% by 25% of the max frequency would seem to be a very high performance setting,
    Whereas ramping up at 60% and down at 25% by 5% of the max frequency would actually be truly conservative.

Go Skull!

7. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Actually they perform about the same except when I start up a game that needs to ramp up the CPU like Angry Birds and then I see a tad bit of slow down usually only at the startup.

I believe I am unimpressed because I have already tweaked the hell out of my phone. About the only things I have running in background is WeatherBug (every hour), Email (every 15 mins for one account) and SetCPU (in passive mode). I use autostarts to kill off any task that would auto launch on startup or based on events unless I really need the program to know what the phone is doing.

My big battery draws are screen, data (web and rss) and gaming. And those can't be compensated for by any governor configuration.

I am actually very frustrated with myself because I don't believe I can now properly test "real world" savings for the "average user" under this condition.

8. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Member

Ratings:
    +0

Not to get off topic but what ROM are you running? If it is the stock Moto/VZW crap that is the major problem, and not the speed of the chip. I don't run there garbage on my device anymore and was overclocked for awhile. I have now taken it back to stock speed on the custom ROM and am more then happy with it.

9. lonndoggie

lonndoggie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the average user reading this thread is aspiring to be more like you (er, as far as battery usage, anyway). :)

When I had the CPU ramp up at a lower percentage threshold, starting games (Homerun Battle, in my case) was zippy; today I raised the threshold a bit, and I did notice a bit of jerkiness, but once in-game, it was fine.

Still looking forward to your findings.

Thanks--

LDog

10. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I finally took the plunge and rooted my Droid 1 so I could take advantage of SetCPU and maybe get some more performance out of this thing...

I had the stock Froyo 2.2 that I received from the Verizon OTA update a couple months ago... Never rooted this thing before, never really wanted to, but after that 2.2 update, things were getting a bit sluggish... I figured, worst-case scenario, I brick this Droid and wind up buying a Droid 2 for full-price (because I've still got 11 months in my current 2-year Verizon contract -- the one I signed on Nov. 6, 2009 when I bought this original Droid on release-day). Honestly, I thought it wouldn't be a terrible thing if I did brick it and was forced to buy a new Droid 2 -- I was getting pretty disgusted with the sluggish performance of this Droid 1 after the OTA 2.2 update.

Now that I've done it, all I can say is, "WOW!!!" I should've done this MONTHS ago!!! It's like having a brand-new phone for the $1.99 price of SetCPU. AMAZING!!!

And it was SO SIMPLE! I followed the instructions here, and in about 30 minutes I was rooted, and still running the same 2.2 Froyo that I had been before -- absolutely nothing on the phone changed at all, except now I had root access... It was precisely what I wanted to happen.

I purchased and downloaded SetCPU, set the sliders to 125MHz min and 800MHz max... (Can't get it any faster without a custom kernel.) Set up a few profiles as recommended by this thread's O.P. (I copied his profiles almost exactly, leaving out the one at Batt < 41%), set the advanced settings to 100000,75,0,75 -- of course I also selected Set On Boot for everything I could. Rebooted just for good measure (mostly to see if the settings would be maintained thru a reboot). It all looks great so far!

Played one of my favorite games (RoboDefense) and on the higher levels it was getting pretty sluggish before -- now, it's super smooth. And the phone didn't get any hotter than it did before overclocking, which totally blew me away! I think it's because the CPU is ramping down to 125MHz so quickly, when the game is between robot-waves. When I finished that game, I immediately checked the CPU temp -- 104-degrees F. Absolutely normal after playing that game -- perhaps even a bit cooler? I've seen it hit 106 or even 108 after a full level on that game.

Tried the web-browser; went to a page that I know is loaded with Flash-based advertisements (of course I have Flash 10.1 on my Droid! Take THAT you iPhone weenies!) Before the overclocking, pages with lots of Flash ads on them were quite slow to load -- now, it's super smooth! Really nice!

I honestly don't know why I didn't do this months ago -- I was so nervous about bricking my phone... But the instructions here were so EASY. It all went so smoothly, and now I'm absolutely loving my Droid again. I can wait 'till Motorola and Verizon get together and release a 4G-capable Droid (Droid 3? Droid 4? Droid 4G?), or until the end of my current contract, whichever is later.

Thanks a bunch, guys, for all your posts here that made this process so easy!

11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Skull One...how do u get your email set to check at specific intervals?

12. moset

moset Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Not Skull but may be ably to help. If I understand correctly Gmail does not check for new mail but rather the server sends new mail when it arrives (push). I use AOL mail. You can open email, select menu then account settings then Email check frequency. If you select never it only checks when you open the email app. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
android clocking
android ignore nice load
android nice load
clocking android
con up threshold
ignore nice load
ignore nice load android
nice load