Overclock stuck at (default) 550mhz max ??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Zandog, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Zandog

Zandog New Member

Got the Droid 4 days ago, I'm in to it! Searched forums for an answer on this, I'm sure I'm missing something.

I rooted, but have nothing serious installed yet except setCPU. I followed the guild for overclocking, minus the kernel or ROMS. When I go to set the clock rate, the maximum I can set it to is the default, (550mhz). I chose auto-detect as advised, rebooted the device to see if that worked, but nope..

I can jailbreak, set speeds and customize my (now deactivated =) iPhone like no ones business but being 4 days old, I'm still getting to know this Droid.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing on this overclock?
  2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

missing kernels and/or ROMs... the droid will only overclock if you ALLOW it to (with an OC kernel) rather than just TELLING it to with SetCPU. i would suggest that you pick a good ROM that has features you like, and all of them OC now, and try running that.
  3. Zandog

Zandog New Member

Thanks for the quick response. If I need to install a ROM, which one seems to be the most popular with the power users?
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Ultimate Droid is probably the most popular right now. Download ROM Manager from the market (get the paid version) and it will flash everything for you. You get to choose the cpu speed along with a lot of different customization options. It also offers 2 or 3 other ROMs that are very popular.
  5. bradford88

bradford88 New Member

Ultimate Droid 9.0 is awesome.. i've ran through all the major ones but Ultimate Droid runs my cpu hotter than the others.

I'm fairly new to the Root scene but at the moment my favorite is Cyanogen. I like the stock Nexus One look. but evidently you cant clock over 1 Ghz in Cyanogen. and the new version of Cyanogen doesn't work with launcher yet

-if i can clock to 1.25 in cyanogen somehow then pm me somebody-
  6. xkaper

xkaper New Member

I have been real happy with Adamz Smoked Glass 6.0, but I think you should get familiar with the roms and read up about them and come to your own decision. They are all a bit different in ways. Check to see which ones fit what you need.
  7. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Chevy's Simply Stunning 3.0 is the latest and greatest. Here is the thread

Mike
  8. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

+1 for reading up on each of them:)

There are tools that let you install things automatically with the intent that this occurs without a hitch. Usually this tends to be so, but not always.

There are instructions that come with the various roms whose intent is to make it easy to follow through each step until you get to the desired result. Folks sometimes get stuck going this method too.

Decide what you'd like to do: just get rooted and use a tool or go the manual root and dig a bit deeper into how things take place on your phone.

The best way to do this is to read about the issues others had as well as read about the various roms. Go with your gut instinct. For each rom, for they all are good, someone will come along and say "pick me, pick me" :)

btw...psst: smoked glass 6.0
  9. mikes

mikes New Member

You don't need a "ROM". All you need is a kernel which supports overclocking speeds. adrynalyne has posted a few toward the end of this thread, which can be installed simply using the "update.zip" method.