overclock question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by j5tj@aol.com, Feb 25, 2010.

1. j5tj@aol.com

j5tj@aol.com New Member

Im gettin my droid in march and have been reading a lot lately about everything droid related. I found a bunch of articles saying that overclocking is a must do for the phone and some saying that it really isn't that necessary. Im pretty sure that I will root my phone and throw the smoked glass rom on there. And so finally my question is do I need to overclock it or if I leave it alone will the phone be slower with the smoked glass rom than the original. sorry about the long post this is my first time.
  2. EpyonZeroX

EpyonZeroX New Member

basically makes it faster, scrolling through screens, pictures, interwebs, etc. makes it fun and fast and kinda just sticks it to the apple fanboys be like..*crouch chop* whatup!
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

:welcome:
    To be honest as of late the ROM plays a much more important factor in performance that OCing. The newest ROMs are VERY fast compared to the stock 2.0.1 ROM even at stock speed (550Mhz). A slight OC to 800 is really all that's needed to make the new ROMs fly and with the exception of benchmark scores you won't really see a difference in any apps or normal use. This will become even more the case by the time you get yours.
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

5. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 New Member

Like the other posters have said, it's not necessary, but can load things quicker and make the system seem a little smoother, plus if you enjoy tinkering with stuff, overclocking is just fun.

I run a lot of widgets, so I notice a difference more than others might with a more bare set of home screens.
  6. j5tj@aol.com

j5tj@aol.com New Member

Yea I know where your comin from on tinkering with stuff lol, my only concern is the overall battery life along with frying the processor
  7. rooted_default

rooted_default New Member

One thing to be aware of if you choose to overclock is cpu temp. If you use setcpu as is recommended in most guides you can set speed profiles to help manage battery life and temperature. The are alot of widgets out there that have no controls for temperature. I run my Droid at 1.0 Ghz without problems. When I play MP3s in my car the cpu heats up too much and setcpu throttles back to 550 Mhz. I set my charging profile to 800 Mhz and the problem goes away completely. If you decide to root and overclock make sure you do it right.
  8. Tatootie

Tatootie New Member

Only problem with Ocing , is that you kinda get spoiled by the speed. I borrowed a friend of mine's droid the other day, and couldnt believe the slow, lagginess of stock. Dont get me wrong, the stock droid is awesome! Just you get so use to that smooth extra speed. Kinda like having a car with power windows/locks/ac, and then going back to a manual cranking and no ac car...