1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Overclock kernels

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droijo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. droijo

droijo New Member

I know that if your phone can't run a certain kernel it'll freeze or boot, etc. What I want to know is what you do when this happens. Do you just upload a different kernel via update.zip in recovery, or how would you fix it.

I am currently running p3 1ghz 125mhz and would like to try higher kernels but would like to know before hand when I run into that scenario. Oh and does the existing kernel need to be removed beforehand, if so, how.
  2. ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Nandroid backup. If u get stuck in boot loop, pull battery and load backup. Make sure to back up current rom! Hopefully u r using rom manager. Makes it easy.

When u install new kernal, it overwrites old one so no need to uninstall. Not even sure if u can.
  3. droijo

droijo New Member

Hm, more complicated than I thought. ;)

I don't have any rom. I am running froyo (counts as rom?) and am not using rom manager. When backing up via nandroid, and if I need to reload it; will I have to reset everything? Widgets, apps, etc?
  4. dclutter1

dclutter1 New Member

Yes, that counts as a rom.

A nandroid backup is an image of your system. So, no you won't have to set everything back up. ALWAYS have a current backup before you go messing around with things.