Overclock and temperatures

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Anyone know what temperatures to keep they phone under? I play emulators a lot and just want to.make sure im not killing my phone :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
The SoC is rated to 70C. Not that I am saying you should run your phone that hot. Anything under 55C is acceptable under very heavy use.

EDIT: As an example. Listening to mp3's, browsing the web over 3G, switching back and forth between texts and playing some game. I usually get my phone up to 48C constant with an occasional spike to 50C - 51C and then back down. Phone doesn't miss a beat. The hottest I have had my phone was 58C for quite a while and it didn't do anything bad. What you will notice though is that your battery will drain a little faster because as the chip heats up the battery heats up a bit too. The hotter the battery gets the faster it drains. Otherwise you should be fine.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
In SetCpu I have the failsafe set for 41c which is 105.8F. That is probably playing it on the very safe side.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the bottom line is that high temperatures are the enemy of electronic components. Within any large batch of components a (small) percentage will fail even at "normal" operating temperatures. As the temperatures go up and the length of time at a higher than "normal" temperature increases, the percentage of failures will rise.

Clock speed ratings for components are intentionally conservative. That doesn't mean, however, that every unit can be operated at higher than rated clock speeds without damaging a cpu or other components. If you want to be "safe," stick to the rated clock speed of a cpu. Any clock speed faster than the rating increases the risk that your particular phone is one that will fail.

Darkseider

Reaction score
In SetCpu I have the failsafe set for 41c which is 105.8F. That is probably playing it on the very safe side.

41C? Hell the phone ain't even breaking a sweat at that temp.

LOL Ok, I am going to crank it up to 65 cause I need some excitement in my life.

I ain't saying go balls out, yes I know you are being sarcastic, realistically the OMAP 3430 can handle anything in the mid 50's centigrade and below without any problems. Stock Droids under heavy usage can get to those temps running at 550 Mhz. The only difference is that when OC'ing you hit those temps a little faster than a stock unit would.