Overclock - A REAL new phone experience.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I posted how to just a couple posts ago.......

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
100% stock 2.0.1. it is a COMPLETE 2.0.1 rom flash.

hughesjr

Reaction score
How is it easy to reverse?
The bottom line is that easy is relative.

If you have been running/administrating Linux on servers since 1995, then rooting the Droid, using adb, remounting the system in read/write mode, and all the other things here are very basic, easy things.

If you are a "Windows Server" systems administrator and have spent a lot of time at the command prompt and are comfortable writing batch files, then this stuff is also easy.

If you don't ever open the command prompt in Windows, if you have never used a terminal window on a Linux distribution, etc. ... well then these things would be fairly intimidating.

What I would recommend is that people who want to overclock their machine (and/or get new features) is to use the ROM of someone you can trust and who know what they are doing. I recommend doing this via sprecovery and nandroid, as that is the easiest way to get back to where you are now.

Specifically to the question of overclocking ... there is a HUGE difference in running a machine at 800 MHz (or 1000 MHz/1100 MHz) and 550 MHz. It is UNTRUE that you must adjust the voltage to have the CPU temperature be higher and that it would stay the same if the voltage is unchanged. It is also UNTRUE that the CPU for the Droid was designed to run at 800 MHz or 1100 MHz ... it was designed to run at 600 MHz. Does this mean that running at 1000 MHz will actually damage your phone ... no, it does not. One thing to remember is that the phone automatically shifts the speed of the CPU very effectively between the 5 frequency slots that the kernel has ... so your processor will MAX out at the overclock setting, but not run that way all the time.

shademar

Reaction score
Shade, you circumvent your whole argument against why people should wait to root after 2.1 by stating that developers and rommers are more on top of things than the three companies involved. However, if they completely fixed the way to root (is this confirmed? haven't heard for sure yet) and no other way to root is found, there must be a way to reset the phone to factory 2.0.1 or 2.0. Does anyone know of a way currently?

Check out Unroot & Back To Stock - Root Your Droid. Unrooting is about as simple as rooting thanks to assorted devs.

In any case, I'm not pushing anyone to root if they are uncomfortable with the process. Quite the opposite!...I'm just saying that you can't expect root access as a matter of course after updating to 2.1 by standard means. It's just not a given... Seeming as how a ton of peeps just rooted to try out 2.1, they probably wouldn't care. But if you rooted for OC'ing, wifi tether, ect..., well, you might have some choices to make in the near future.

Reaction score
Shade, you circumvent your whole argument against why people should wait to root after 2.1 by stating that developers and rommers are more on top of things than the three companies involved. However, if they completely fixed the way to root (is this confirmed? haven't heard for sure yet) and no other way to root is found, there must be a way to reset the phone to factory 2.0.1 or 2.0. Does anyone know of a way currently?

Check out Unroot & Back To Stock - Root Your Droid. Unrooting is about as simple as rooting thanks to assorted devs.

In any case, I'm not pushing anyone to root if they are uncomfortable with the process. Quite the opposite!...I'm just saying that you can't expect root access as a matter of course after updating to 2.1 by standard means. It's just not a given... Seeming as how a ton of peeps just rooted to try out 2.1, they probably wouldn't care. But if you rooted for OC'ing, wifi tether, ect..., well, you might have some choices to make in the near future.

I'm comfortable with trying new things, I love doing this kind of stuff, I'll be graduating with a degree in MIS here in May. If I weren't taking 18 credits, I would probably have rooted already, but my schedule is pretty well packed, and during weekends, I switch over to hobo mode, aka video games and pizza :)

hughesjr

Reaction score

Okie dokie, then I'm not worried about waiting for 2.1 plugging up the hole :) Hooray for options! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
Well ... getting back to there after you applied the 2.1 OTA update might not be so easy though.

What if Verizon/Motorola have people who read XDA and alldroid ... what if they know about SPRecovery, the current root exploit and the current couple of SuperUser apps. What if they removed the SU aps (it only takes a couple of delete commands), removed SPRecovey/nandroid, and closed the current root exploit hole (the Droid one was closed on 2.1 for "Nexus One")?

The "Nexus One" has been rooted (took about a week), and the 2.1 on Motorola should be able to be rooted too, but the question is: Can you live without the apps you want for a month (a week, 2 weeks, etc.) while they root it? I need openvpn (to remotely connect to a work network) so I can not let root go away for a day ... If I do, my phone doesn't do what I need.

Other people need tethering because they frequently need to go places and take their laptop's and need to connect to the internet in those cases. (I guess they could also buy a Verizon Wireless 3G network device for their laptop, instead of using the Droid in those cases).

If rooting is only for fun and if you do not NEED it for a particular reason, then waiting is probably no big deal ... if you need that functionality though, then waiting "could be" a big problem for up to a month.

acturbo

Reaction score

Okie dokie, then I'm not worried about waiting for 2.1 plugging up the hole :) Hooray for options! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
Well ... getting back to there after you applied the 2.1 OTA update might not be so easy though.

What if Verizon/Motorola have people who read XDA and alldroid ... what if they know about SPRecovery, the current root exploit and the current couple of SuperUser apps. What if they removed the SU aps (it only takes a couple of delete commands), removed SPRecovey/nandroid, and closed the current root exploit hole (the Droid one was closed on 2.1 for "Nexus One")?

The "Nexus One" has been rooted (took about a week), and the 2.1 on Motorola should be able to be rooted too, but the question is: Can you live without the apps you want for a month (a week, 2 weeks, etc.) while they root it? I need openvpn (to remotely connect to a work network) so I can not let root go away for a day ... If I do, my phone doesn't do what I need.

Other people need tethering because they frequently need to go places and take their laptop's and need to connect to the internet in those cases. (I guess they could also buy a Verizon Wireless 3G network device for their laptop, instead of using the Droid in those cases).

If rooting is only for fun and if you do not NEED it for a particular reason, then waiting is probably no big deal ... if you need that functionality though, then waiting "could be" a big problem for up to a month.

Who needs 2.1 after being overclocked? :) The only thing I think I really need now is the flash support. The phone is snappy as heck, I already have the 2.1 browser, gallery, music player etc. I have updates blocked and dont feel a need right now to upgrade until everything is figured out with 2.1. Unless they tell me/us there is a new amazing feature from the 2.1 release who really needs it at this point?

gentlefury

Reaction score
First of all for all I know you're mom is younger than me and is a programmer.:)

If I install your backup will I lose my Swype and the APK's I've installed? Does yours give the 5 screen launcher? And once I root it and backup yours then I assume all further OTA's will have to be done manually... right?

I am fairly certain I would brick it... so which one of you wants to do it for me :)

Well I already offered a backup that has everything you need....the initial part is so simple my mom could do it.

Install the root update.zip

once rooted go to the market and install droidroothelper

follow directions and your done!!

Apply backup and enjoy.

It's not a custom rom. So everything stays the same. It will add a few things, but you won't lose anything except the annoying things no one uses. All the custom roms I've used have been laggy. Stock work all the enhancements pushed seems to be the most stable and fastest.

gentlefury

Reaction score
How is it easy to reverse?
The bottom line is that easy is relative.

If you have been running/administrating Linux on servers since 1995, then rooting the Droid, using adb, remounting the system in read/write mode, and all the other things here are very basic, easy things.

If you are a "Windows Server" systems administrator and have spent a lot of time at the command prompt and are comfortable writing batch files, then this stuff is also easy.

If you don't ever open the command prompt in Windows, if you have never used a terminal window on a Linux distribution, etc. ... well then these things would be fairly intimidating.

What I would recommend is that people who want to overclock their machine (and/or get new features) is to use the ROM of someone you can trust and who know what they are doing. I recommend doing this via sprecovery and nandroid, as that is the easiest way to get back to where you are now.

Specifically to the question of overclocking ... there is a HUGE difference in running a machine at 800 MHz (or 1000 MHz/1100 MHz) and 550 MHz. It is UNTRUE that you must adjust the voltage to have the CPU temperature be higher and that it would stay the same if the voltage is unchanged. It is also UNTRUE that the CPU for the Droid was designed to run at 800 MHz or 1100 MHz ... it was designed to run at 600 MHz. Does this mean that running at 1000 MHz will actually damage your phone ... no, it does not. One thing to remember is that the phone automatically shifts the speed of the CPU very effectively between the 5 frequency slots that the kernel has ... so your processor will MAX out at the overclock setting, but not run that way all the time.

ARM Cortex-A8 - ARM Processor

to quote:

The ARM CortexTM-A8 processor is the first applications processor based on the ARMv7 architecture and is the highest performance, most power-efficient processor available from ARM. With the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz, the Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW;

And as for the easy is relative. If any 13 year old with the slightest amount of reading comprehension skills and enough intelligence to check the front page of this forum for the stickey's can do it, I think anyone can!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
While it may scale to those speeds, what you aren't noting is that it is a family of processors, like C2D. It doesn't mean that the lower speed ones are meant to run at those higher speeds.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rooted and downloaded root helper have any one else had it force close after clicking the options, yeah i already got the tools

peterjariel

Reaction score
Man I'm not 13 and I don't get it. I really want to get it done but I keep getting lost. Is there any one that lives in central FL that can help me. Seriousely!

Arachnyd

Reaction score
I am complete confused on how to do this. Does the phone need to be rooted?

Run 'adb shell su' (all directions provided with single quotes should be run without including them). If you don't know how to do this step comfortably, there is lots of good info on AllDroid starting here: AllDroid - View topic - Important Droid Threads.

This step is confusing, I go to that link and see nothing that seems to help me.

If you can get it to a point of doing a nandroid restore you can use my backup....I've built it over the past month from things that have been cool...no custom rom tho, so its really really fast.

800MHz_glass_vkb-BS-20100128-0226.zip

includes, root/busybox, 800Mhz, Mobile Defense in System, Voice Keyboard, Glass Theme, and removes corp cal, email and visual voice mail (they are all still there, just need to be renamed if they need to be restored), and wifi tether (you still have to install the APK application, but it is ready to go)

I tried bugless beauty 800Mhz and it was really slow in comparison.

Awesome. I just used your backup to fix my horrible crashing problem that DroidRootPro caused. One question - how can I tweak the colors of the theme? I like the smoked glass, but not the blue color that replaced the normal green.