Overclock - A REAL new phone experience.

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
Is there an 800Mhz for dummies tutorial somewhere?
I mean, literally step by step - precisely what is needed to make it work?

If I'm going to do this I'd rather not fumble around.. I'd like it to be 100% laid out in front of me.

Unfortunately, there is not. I put in a link earlier, you can try following that and then searching for all parts you have trouble with (thats what I did, it took me about 3-4 hours)... but as far as a step by step screenshot type approach, no, I haven't run into one.

its a bit intimidating if you haven't rooted your phone, have SDK installed, etc etc.

-Wil

gentlefury

Reaction score
Overclocking forces the processor to work harder then it was intended too, soooo...yes there is a chance of damaging it.

But.......I think its worth it :D Ive been at 1ghz for a week no issues.

Not just damage from the heat but also overworking the processor. Although it hasn't been long enough, with computer overclocking it degrades the processor over a long period of time <2 years. I imagine it might be worse for a cell phone that doesn't have the proper cooling to deal with heavy use. Browsing the web for a little less than an hour on 550 gave me 104 degrees, which is fairly hot. I can't imagine what 800 might do. Perhaps someone could shed some light? Right now my 550 runs at 87.8 coming out of sleep.

The heat you are feeling is not from the CPU it is from the data....using data is basically like making a phone call only more intense.

It has been tested and there is no additional CPU heat when overclocking up to 1.1Ghz.

Again, 800Mhz runs as fast as you would expect the phone to have run when you bought it.

And once again again, read about the CPU....it is meant to run at a minimum of 600Mhz and a max of over 1Ghz (it is yet to be determined!)

550Mhz is underclocked to below the rated minimum...this has nothing to do with battery life...or CPU life or any of the speculation from people that don't believe overclocking is ok. It is from the LEGAL DEPT!

Motorola says, hey we want to use a CPU that is clocked from 600Mhz to 1Ghz, for maximum performance with the OS Google developed 800Mhz is a perfect medium, it balances battery life and performance and stability.

Legal Dept says....600Mhz to 1Ghz....ok set it to 550Mhz so there is NO WAY it will overheat and burn the chip therefore lowering the rate of returns and maximizing profit..

Developers...but the user experience will be slow and disappointing...

Legal.....550Mhz.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The Droid's CPU is normally clocked at 600mhz, underclocked to 550mhz for the Droid.

But, the CPUs that are rated for over 600mhz, are not the same CPU. Same family, not same CPU. So beware. I tried 800mhz, but I had backlight troubles. Pity, I kind of liked it :D

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there an 800Mhz for dummies tutorial somewhere?
I mean, literally step by step - precisely what is needed to make it work?

If I'm going to do this I'd rather not fumble around.. I'd like it to be 100% laid out in front of me.

This is as close as it gets to being what you asked for:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

I followed this installation process to a t and it worked great. I then replaced that rom with the Bugless Beast and IMHO it is even better and lives up to it's name of Bugless. I just update to BB 7.2 and it's supposed to be better than the first Bugless.

BTW, if you end up using the Bugless Beast, be sure to donate to Pete over on Alldroid. He's a working fool and very good and deserves our support.

Clifton R. Diamond

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Bugless Beast is the one I had backlight troubles with.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I have Bugless Beast 7.2 installed right now and am having no backlighting issues or really any issues at this time. But I'm sure if there are any issues, we can bring them to Pete's attention and he will fix them in the next release.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm trying Adam's smoked 800mhz rom to see if it has the same issues.

acturbo

Reaction score

I have Bugless Beast 7.2 installed right now and am having no backlighting issues or really any issues at this time. But I'm sure if there are any issues, we can bring them to Pete's attention and he will fix them in the next release.

Same here this ROM is great, for those looking for step by step do this:

Follow this guide up until step #50:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

Then instead of installing the Sholes ROM use this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...beast-800mhz-wifi-v0-7-1-1-26-10-awesome.html

Do steps 1-50 on the first link and downloading the Update.zip file from alldroid.Simply do the following:

Put update.zip in the root directory on your SD card.(do this before you start doing anything with nandroid)

Choose install as stated in first link
Choose allow update.zip
Then choose Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
Back out to the main menu using the power button
Choose reboot

Doesnt get much easier than that, if anyone has questions shoot me a PM and I will be happy to respond or post in appropriate thread and Im sure someone would be willing to help.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Alright, the Smoked Glass 3.1 @ 800 mhz is flawless. I like the Bugless Beauty/Beast, but some of the changes are too much for me (like the lock, and the overly black status icons).

Arachnyd

Reaction score
I decided to take the plunge and successfully rooted my droid, then used DroidRootPro to install Busybox and the 800mhz overclock kernel. Everything seemed to be working perfectly - SetCPU confirmed that the phone was overclocked to 800mhz.

But suddenly it began rebooting itself over and over again. I used Sensor List to check the internal temp and it only read 38 (less than the 41 it reported prior to installing the overclock). This sort of sucks. The phone isn't bricked or anything, but it obviously can't be used if it randomly reboots every minute or two.

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
I decided to take the plunge and successfully rooted my droid, then used DroidRootPro to install Busybox and the 800mhz overclock kernel. Everything seemed to be working perfectly - SetCPU confirmed that the phone was overclocked to 800mhz.

But suddenly it began rebooting itself over and over again. I used Sensor List to check the internal temp and it only read 38 (less than the 41 it reported prior to installing the overclock). This sort of sucks. The phone isn't bricked or anything, but it obviously can't be used if it randomly reboots every minute or two.

Stop. I had the same exact problem, my phone randomly rebooted a few times, not sure what caused it.

Goto setCPU, choose "auto detect" as the phone (scroll down the list of phones). Change max setting to 800, and min to 125 or 250 or whatever. I set it to 125.

Shut down, pull battery, reboot.

I'm not sure if the shurt down and reboot thing does a damn thing, but I know my phone hasn't done one weird thing since then.

Give it a little bit. It "seemed" to me my phone was acting funny, then an hour or two later rock solid.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I had the random reboots too. Let me know what happens, I'm curious.

-Wil

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score

One last thing, you said you used Droidrootpro, I did not use that. I did a search and someone else said they were having some issues with droidrootpro and they went back to stock.

-Wil

Krish

Reaction score
i did 800mhz it was nice and the improvement speed was greatly noticeable. 1 way you can tell its smoother with the overlcock is when you use beautiful widget and press the home weather animation and it pops up, the stock would be choppy at first n get smooth. With the 800mhz everything is smooth there's almost no lag for me. I pushed my phone to 900mhz and no problems at all, looking to go for 1ghz testing.