Overcharging Battery?

yitaf24

Reaction score
Is it okay to constantly charge the Droid X battery? It seems that after a full charge (100%), jumps from full to 90% really fast then drains doowwwwn faster ..... then I end up charging again and again. Need some assist please. I really like my DX, just want to know if it's okay to leave it on the charger ... thanks.:icon_ banana:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is not possible to "overcharge" your battery, I charge mine for 7+ hours every night :)

Asterisk

Reaction score
Once the battery gets fully charged it cuts off the power flowing from the charger to the phone. Once that is done the phone runs on ac power and not using the battery. Thats why you can pull the battery out and the phone remain on when plugged up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Asterisk,
That's not the case here... I plug my phone in, it starts charging and when I pull the battery, the phone shuts off just as it does when I do a battery pull.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Don't forget that also when it says 90% that is anywhere from 90-99 so that could just be 99 % how long to you expect that 1st percent to last?

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
Don't forget that also when it says 90% that is anywhere from 90-99 so that could just be 99 % how long to you expect that 1st percent to last?

Not true. Neither is the whole it switches to AC power only when it hits 100%.

What really happens is this phone, for whatever odd reason, ONLY functions on the battery. That means when the phone hits 100% and its still plugged in, it starts to trickle charge. The phone will inherently chew through battery, a little at a time, even while plugged in at 100%. The trickle charge is enough to keep it topped off, but if you were to say, use the GPS with maps, stream music, and browse the web all at once (don't ask how, but its possible. DROID DOES BABY) you would see that your battery starts to drain quickly. And I've even heard of instances where someones GPS and Navigation was chewing up battery faster than the car charger could keep it charged.

So yeah I would say charge it to 100% but don't leave it in for too long. Once the battery hits ~4200mv its basically capped off. Mine hits 4241mv at peak and thats it. Any higher is pushing the envelope.

Also I wouldn't leave it plugged in at 100% and do strenuous usage like gaming and listening to music. Just unplug it and let it drain down some. USE the battery, otherwise constant trickle charging at 100% isn't really good.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How do you say what I said is not true, the Droid X see the battery in increments of 10. So when it says 90 percent your battery can be anywhere from 90-99, I am pretty sure all of that is true.

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
How do you say what I said is not true, the Droid X see the battery in increments of 10. So when it says 90 percent your battery can be anywhere from 90-99, I am pretty sure all of that is true.

Negative. I have had my phone sit idle for over 12 hours after unplugging it at 100%. And after 12 hours of 3G and 1x connected idle time, guess what the battery was at: 100%.

After 10-15 minutes of using the phone it finally hits over to 90%. Now, you can gnaw at it all you want, but 12 hours of phone ON time is 12 hours its running off that battery. There is no way in heck that it ONLY hits 99% after 12 hours time off the charger. Not. Possible.

Now, 94% is possible. Still unlikely but possible. I'm leaning towards 90% is exactly that, 90% and nothing more.

Then again, what is "91%" of something that is not numerical in nature? Battery life is not some electronic figure, it is chemicals residing inside a shell. There's no "91%" left. There's a best guess as to how much juice it may have left, versus total capacity, but there's no sure shot totally accurate measure of battery capacity. It's not something that can be measured to a fine percentage. Hence the 10% increments.

I will stick to my theory that 90% is 90%. People are free to believe whatever they want, just understand that whatever the percent is that it tells you, is probably not quite right ;)

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
No it is not good to "constantly" charge a battery. That will reduce the life of the battery and the reduce the amount of time it takes to discharge it.