over heating and weak battery issue

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by r1nstang, May 7, 2010.

1. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

Heres what I'm running. Simply stunning v2.2 ESE53
    with kernal 2.6.29 low voltage 7 slot
    I run the helixlauncher.

I charge my phone all night. it shows 100% when i unplug it. I leave for work i put it on vibrate and leave it in the car ...its 3am so its not hot nor is it freezing. I get back out to my car at about 8am...and its already down to 80%. screen wasnt on. no calls or messages. K9 email polls every 30 minutes.
    by noon after texting a little bit maybe using adilko reader for 30 minutes. Im down to 40% battery.

I can plug it in. kill all processes and let it sit and it will charge up. Unplug it and just sitting there it seems to get up to 100 degrees F without doing anything.

Set CPU is set at on profiles.
    charging 250max 125 min
    sleep 250 max 125 min
    power 1100 max 250 min
    failsafe--battery 53.7C 1100max 125 min

I know the moto droid doesnt have the greatest battery life. but it seems like its been better then this before. Should I wipe the cache a few times and use a nandroid backup?

think for lack of a better term...the system just got clogged up??

Thanks for the help
  2. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Not sure, but since I have been reading different developer's forums all night..work night shift :) I have seen similar posts on Koush's , Bugless forums and Some are starting to believe it is the SetCPU latest update. For sure the active widget for SetCPU is burning up juice , but even without using it people are noticing more heat and worse battery life.
    I have run Chevy's , Bugless, and Koush' roms this past week and they all ran smooth , but did have battery issues. I just uninstalled SetCPU and redownloaded the version prior to the last update 1.5.1a so I will see if that gives me better battery life.

Sure seems that SetCPU is the most common element between the different roms.
  3. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

hmm ill definiately give that a shot myself
  4. Desh

Desh New Member

put me in the camp that believes the poor battery life and over heating are b/c of SetCPU. Looking for a fix.......
  5. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

got rid of setCPU and phones fine now. battery life is still kinda lacking...but thats always been an issue with the droid. but its not at melting temps while idle any more haha.
  6. GameBoiye

GameBoiye New Member

Latest version of setcpu fixes the issue.
  7. gatewayad

gatewayad New Member

It might take care of the heat issue but the battery drain issue. Losing 10% an hour not doing anything on the phone, wasnt like that that before the last couple SetCPU updates. I'm going to delete it and see how it goes for a couple days. Hope I can handle the lack of speed :icon_evil:
  8. Desh

Desh New Member

battery leakage

i too was noticing the 10%/hr battery life, but have since setcpu to max 550, and things seem to be perfectly fact, and more than doubled the battery life.
  9. mdbray

mdbray New Member

I would check and see what "Governor" you are using. The OnDemand (at least prior to 1.5.3a) governor would send the CPU from 125mhz to 1000mhz for no apparent reason. I didn't see any reason for the CPU to be jumping to max if it's idling and all processes have been cut. I have been giving "Conservative" a try and it seems to do a lot better about being more deliberate in ramping the CPU up (i.e. not as hyperactive) without sacrificing performance (sometimes when waking the phone it lags for a second but then it gets to work). I'll be watching battery life over the next few days.
  10. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Juice defender really helped my battery life as did a low voltage kernel. ;)

I also only run at high speed when I'm doing something that could use the higher speed; generally I stay at around 900mhz, which also really helps my battery life. An auto task killer helped a lot too. And as others mentioned, check your usage in setcpu, I find that conservative really helps.

Quick question, why would you want your phone's processor at 1.1ghz as a fail safe? I have mine set to 125 max/min at 47c
  11. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

12. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

everyone should see it from my understanding as it is supposedly a coding issue with the kernel files on why it does that
  13. ???

??? New Member

on this note i was on vac out of state and in a crappy 3g area and the phone was acting weird and getting really hot, draining my extened battery in less than a day with not much use. so later that night i reflashed back to the stock 2.1 with root and uninstalled set cpu. since then my stock battery is almost usable and my phone doesnt seem much slower at all than the 1k over clock i was using. maybe a tad of lag from time to time, but for never getting hot and everything just working better, i wont be overclocking again.
  14. dwoid

dwoid New Member

The most recent version of SetCPU (1.5.3a) corrects the CPU speed taching with the Active Widget, however if you are running Active Widget at all, it is adding to your CPU usage and battery usage.

Regarding heat it's important to note that with some testing between SetCPU and TempMonitor you can observe that the programming calls in both programs for System Battery Temperature do not return a reliable value. Compare the values with the realtime AK8973 values provided alternatively by TempMonitor and you can easily see that the System Battery Temps are often dangerously different...

With that knowledge, it's pretty clear that the best option to use in the SetCPU failsafe profile on a Droid is the recently added CPU Temperature option. CPU Temperature in both SetCPU and TempMonitor is consistent and reliable, and even though it varies wildly, it compares the same between SetCPU and TempMonitor and can be trusted in the SetCPU Failsafe. The new refresh interval option also allows you to generalize the CPU's wildly fluctuating temperature over a desired time period, so the failsafe isn't switching all the time.

Just as an example, I set my failsafe to CPU, 700/250@50C, conservative, with a 60 second interval and it kicks in and cools nicely, and then releases to the normal profile in a timely fashion. (I'm using the P3#24 kernel which offers the 700 CPU slot.)

I did note immediately that there was some severe inconsistency with SetCPU when I updated to version 1.5.2, so I switched from Chevy's LV 1.25GHz 7 slot kernel to the P3 #24 LV 1.25GHz 7-slot kernel. That corrected the issues, but i don't know if this was really due to a problem with Chevy's kernel or if just re-installing Chevy's kernel would have had the same positive effect. I do know the P3 #24 kernel is running nicely, but so was Chevy's before the original SetCPU upgrade.

Also worth noting, I like the active widget so I keep using it, but if I get into a situation where I cannot charge regularly I turn it off and set the non-active widget on. Having talked with Mike Huang (SetCPU's developer), it sounds like we will be able to set a general refresh interval in future versions which will among other things give us control over the active widget's power consumption.

It's important to keep in mind that SetCPU is used on multiple platforms, probably the majority which have a system call that works properly for System Battery Temperature. The Droid is unique in that regard, probably having either a hardware or software bug at the level of either the original kernel or baseband builds. The fact that System Battery Temp doesn't work properly for both SetCPU and TempMonitor on the Droid, but that it works properly on other platforms, is a good indicator that it's most likely not a bug in either of these programs.

I don't know if this bug exists on both firmware versions 2.0.1 and 2.1 on the Droid -- I'm using 2.1 and never tested this carefully when I was running 2.0.1. There is a strong possiblity that System Battery Temperature has never worked properly on the Droid.
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
Search tags for this page

droid eris overheating

galaxy s4 heating issue
s4 heating issue