Over 1000 Roots in 2 Weeks! - RootYourDroid.info

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Lou, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought I'd pass this statistic onto you guys. In the 2 weeks I've offered the update.zip root package on my site, it has been downloaded over 1000 times! It's great to see so many people, even the least knowledgeable average Joe, so eager to Root their Droids!

To be honest, it would not have been possible if I hadn't received the tips and advice from many users here! So this is a celebration all of us can share. Perhaps our next step is WORLD DOMINATION!

Woot! :icon_ banana:

2. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooting is a bad idea. It gives the phone more freedom and therefore makes it easier for them to kill us. These things are evil right out of the box, now we are screwed.

JK I'm rooted.

3. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Awesome to hear!!! ROOT! ROOT! ROOT!

4. noisufnoc

noisufnoc Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Aaron636r

Aaron636r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice. Congrats!! :icon_ banana:

6. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Sweet.....

7. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations, well deserved I might add, you did a great job on the site.

8. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I completely disagree. The "least knowledgeable average Joe" shouldn't even THINK of rooting their Droid. There is a very real danger of irreversibly bricking your device if you do not have at least a good amount of knowledge of what you are doing, and WHY each step is necessary (as well as being able to understand why it's necessary to do things in a certain order).

Rooting a device like the Droid is one of those things where if you have to think of an answer to "Why do you want root access?", you shouldn't even attempt it. Again, unlike messing with BlackBerry OSes or jailbreaking an iPhone, rooting an Android device carries a real risk.

Encouraging the "average Joe" to undertake something like this is a nightmare for a site like this where the purpose is to assist other users of the device. While it is nice for us enthusiasts to have access to root, most people have no more business running a rooted phone than they do running as root on a Linux desktop PC.

I don't mean this to sound rude, or condescending, but I don't feel like explaining to a bunch of "average Joes" why their $550 device is now a paperweight with a voided warranty.

Then again, it's their device, if they want to ruin it, I guess more power to them.

9. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if you've ever seen my site. It's geared towards people who have absolutely no idea how to Root, but they want to. Not everybody has a CIS degree or years of experience with this stuff. Some people have to start somewhere, and why not with a website dedicated to noob-friendly guides? I pride myself on getting people who otherwise would be in over their heads had they seen some other, less organized forum guides, into the action.

My guides educate the follower every step of the way. Not only are they performing the hack, but they are learning as they go along. I've also put many warnings and written tons of background on what exactly they're getting themselves into. I even state multiple times that if you have to ask "why" after learning what it is, then please don't attempt.

10. wiredout46

wiredout46 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't thoroughly checked out your site, but if you haven't already done so, you should add a section for people to revert their phone back to being unrooted.

11. MontyMo

MontyMo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds intriguing, but I gotta ask, why? What are the advantages?

Monty
    (An Average Joe)

12. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it will go up tonight or tomorrow!

Search tags for this page
root your droid.info

rootyourdroid.info