OUYA on KickStarter; An Android Powered Gaming Console & More for $99 Bucks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OUYA-console-and-controller.png

How does an Android powered gaming console and controller that allows you to play Android games on your HD TV for only $99 bucks sound? How about if most of the games were free to play or try? What about if it were easy and cheap to develop for, and favored indie game developers, yet still pulls in the big titles too? That's the premise and promise of a new Kickstarter startup project called OUYA.

The idea is very intriguing. Sell a $99 Android based gaming console with controller in the retail chain that also happens to be the developers kit. Make things easy and cheap for developers and game publishers to develop for, and simply require the developers to have a free version of the game, just like we see frequently on Android already. Hook the device up to your HD TV and play any number of shooters, rpgs, strategy, platformers, sports games and more. They've already lined up soem big name games, like Minecraft, Shadowgun and more. You will even be able to watch Twitch.TV on the OUYA. Check out the Kickstarter source link at the bottom to see a video of the OUYA team and their project, and to get more info as well as pledge an investment if you desire. Here are some quotes to give you an idea of the OUYA concept,

For Developers,
Developers can wave farewell to the roadblocks of bringing a console game to market. Anyone can make a game: every OUYA console is a dev kit. No need to purchase a license or an expensive SDK. It's built on Android, so developers already know how it works.

About the Controller Design:
It has everything you've learned to love: fast buttons, triggers, laser-precise analog sticks, a D-Pad – and we've added a touchpad for any games making the trek from mobile or tablet to the TV. It's just the right weight. Everything just works. We call it 'the Stradivarius of controllers,' and we hope developers will be inspired to take gameplay to a new level with it.

The Hardware and a love note to Hackers:
Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Specifications:
  • Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0

This device looks pretty amazing and really has our interest piqued. Please sound off in the thread to tell us what you think of OUYA.

Source: Kickstarter

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
sayy what???? no way, is today somehow april fools???

Seriously though, this sounds like an AWESOME idea and the perfect next step in android, if decent games come to this then i will definitely be looking into it

on a side note, i wonder how long before apple comes out and says "hey we have a patent for this even though we never intended to use it. We wont allow you to sell these"

jayman350

Reaction score
this sounds like an awesome concept, $99 for what appears to be a good base for a new gaming platform is a good deal

on a side note, i wonder how long before apple comes out and says "hey we have a patent for this even though we never intended to use it. We wont allow you to sell these"

i would say that will come out about a week after the project has been funded, no sense is destroying people's dreams for an open-sourced gaming system if they don't have the money to move forward with it...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You know what I want to do.

Make a tiny android emulation console. Think PC Engine small, and you just shove an SD card in it, and plug in a USB controller, and you can use it to emulate consoles with. I like the idea, and a year ago I said something about it, and one of my buds really liked it.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i want one .. period end of story :hail:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
still needs 225000 dollars of backing to get it going

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmm..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I sent them a check. Project should get rolling any........................................ millenium now
maybe if this story would be on the other forums it would help get things rolling sooner since they tend to have more overall traffic like rootzwiki and xda
(sorry DF, i still think this is the best forum site as far as the people go, its just a shame it doesnt get more attention like rootz and xda)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
cereal killer said:
I sent them a check. Project should get rolling any........................................ millenium now

We should start a kickstart to kickstart them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe if this story would be on the other forums it would help get things rolling sooner since they tend to have more overall traffic like rootzwiki and xda
(sorry DF, i still think this is the best forum site as far as the people go, its just a shame it doesnt get more attention like rootz and xda)

It's been on Droid-Life and Androidpolice today as well.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
jntdroid said:
It's been on Droid-Life and Androidpolice today as well.

I saw it maybe last week, or a few weeks ago on overclock. Net. Interestingly, they were not as excited about it as we are here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Jeyman

Reaction score
get it on engadget and its got the backing needed. Granted it will turn into a flame war in comments, bu it will get the funding really fast.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
They passed 1 million!

[h=5]8,522
BACKERS[/h][h=5]$1,060,921
PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL[/h][h=5]29
DAYS TO GO[/h]

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
I have an issue with this But I love the idea of an Android based system. I think the specs Are too low but understand They have to start somewhere. I still think a tablet hooked to the tv with a Bluetooth controller is a better way.

I just hope they come up with some really interesting games. I know the community is going to turn it inside out do some truly great things with it though.