Outlook Syncing -- or, The Sound of the Dead Horse Being Beaten

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by alkaholic, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Nepherim

Nepherim New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Outlook --> Droid sync...solved

After days spent reading through these threads (and experiencing the same incredulity as many others here), I am pleased to say that I have found a solution that satisfies me.

The current version of Sync2 allows me to move Calendar and Contact items seamlessly from Outlook to my Droid, via my Google account. The Sync2 desktop app works on a schedule or on demand, honors Contact groups and Calendar alarms, and once sync'd to Google, the items show up on my Droid almost immediately. I actually enjoy better sync performance in two critical areas:

- In either direction, I am assured that items will automatically sync, without my having to plug in or launch anything.

- I can easily send out text messages to defined groups.

Notes are handled by a separate program, and while that doesn't thrill me, I do not need frequent updates of my Notes; I just need them to be on my phone, and CompanionLink takes care of that.

So thanks to Sync2, I am now a happy camper with Outlook and Droid. Now if we could just get icons and text to be bigger...

3. slinky

slinky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So unfortunately the solution for Calendar and Contact (not notes and tasks) is once again to provide Google with all of your information into their cloud. Glad it works for you but this reliance is a terrible disappointment. I can't stand all of these cloud based phones and getting rid of simple sync to desktop for people who don't want their data all over the planet.

4. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that there should be a shorter route and that having to go through Google is not optimum. While my personal philosophy about this is that privacy is overrated, one should not have to subscribe to that belief to find a procedure that works.

5. Kabilos

Kabilos New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that the Touchdown application has worked perfectly since the day that I installed it. I did the 5 day trial that they offered and by day 4 I was already hooked. It works perfectly and have not had a single problem yet. Nor has it wiped my outlook settings and made me re-enter them.

For $20 bucks which I ended up writting off on the company, this has been a godsend and kept me with my droid.

If anything, try their 5 day trial and see what it does for you. You'll quickly learn that its a very simple application that works.

6. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Kabilos, can you give us a 50-cent tour here of what Touchdown does and how it does it?

7. SDC_Bolts

SDC_Bolts Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My co-Workers and I have been using the Droid since December or so and have not had a problem with the contacts, calendar or email sync with our exchange server. But I wanted the option for peak times which WM had and Droid does not so I use Touchdown, it is a bit pricey, but well worth it, the features it has are ridiculous and works flawlessly. I love the Touchdown app, it is great.

8. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if Touchdown is just for use with an Outlook Exchange server or would also work with generic Outlook and a POP3 account. I suspect the former...

9. Kabilos

Kabilos New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While I can give you an explanation, one post that I found very helpful is listed here

Droid Exchange lost settings Droid Bugs

Also the link has configuration instructions. Which I found VERY helpful. As I ended up configuring mine through my web access email rather than trying to connect directly to my mail server.

This application unlike the built in one for the droid allows push, which I have yet to receive an email more than 3 minutes after it has been sent to me. Sometimes I receive email sitting at my desk before it even shows up in my outlook.

I have yet to have Touchdown fail me. I just wish there was a way to uninstall the corporate calandar and email features that came in the droid, because they are constantly opening up and being killed by my task manager, when they are not configured.

Let me know what you think.

10. rickaltman

rickaltman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that sounds like a terrific solution, but I have yet to get confirmation on whether Touchdown is an Exchange-only solution. From your description and those of others, I suspect so.

If that is the case, I would be of the opinion that creating an email mirror through Gmail stands as the most reliable solution for non-Exchange Outlook users to receive their mail on the Droid.

11. Cool Cake

Cool Cake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dumped Outlook completely, Google handles email, calander and contacts.
    No syncing issues. A little limited but I've learned to do without and there are web based apps that fulfills most of what I am missing from Outlook.
    Although it would be nice to link emails to contacts. but it's not crucial.

Just so you know...I own 3 domains and a gmail account and all get handled by google.

12. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are missing the point, which sadly seems to be frequent with this thread. The OP is looking for a syncing solution that is direct between phone and computer, not through Gmail or any "cloud" based systems. Sure, it works for you, and it is great that it does, but there are those that want their stuff more secure, and to travel through less places.

Ideally, that would mean straight from computer (Outlook or whatever) straight to phone via USB sync. Everything else, despite it's pro's and con's, is not relevant to what the OP is looking for.

Search tags for this page

comcast calendar on android

comcast sync with outlook 2010
create outlook sync account android comcast
help with syncing droid 2 with business class email
how do i sync my comcast business calendar with outlook
how to sync inbox subfolders from outlook to droid
sync2to45462
sync comcast calendar with android
sync droid twc business class email with laptop
syncing samasung galaxy with comcast business class outlook