Outlook Sync

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Tech Issues' started by dzmodelman, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sarahdeez

sarahdeez New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With HTC incredible u can sync when connected to computer using active sync to outlook. I believe it has to be 2003 or newer version. I just use this for calendar and contacts. I use touchdown for email (hotmail). Or u can use native email ap for most emails. No Google necessary.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    My wife says go to your Gmail page on line and follow the instructions. You convert your contacts to csv files and import them to gmail. Your Gmail! syncs with your Droid. Job over.

3. Lord High Warlock

Lord High Warlock New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I got home with my Droid2, I immediately did a search for an Outlook sync program. After all, that's what I was syncing my Motorola 9QH with...via Motorola's free software. I was somewhat upset when I realized that it didn't work with the Droid2...

Anyway, I found the above mentioned software, and still being upset that Motorola didn't offer another freebie syncing option, downloaded the 14-day trial. I didn't intend to buy it, as my contact info rarely changes...I just didn't want to manually add them all on my new phone.

Well, I ignorantly installed it, and the mayhem began...

I say "ignorantly" because I did not take a close look at how the OS was setup, nor how it worked with all the accounts, nor how Verizon "tries to help" by default.

For instance, I did NOT want all my Outlook contacts synced to my Google address book. Yet, by default, any new contact you add to the phone gets linked to the phone address book, as well as Google's. Definitely NOT what I wanted.

Anyway, after messing around with the CompanionLink software, I eventually got my contacts into the phone's address book. Getting Outlook to sync to CL was easy...moving the contacts from CL to the phone's address book was a pain in the...

Add to this mess that Verizon, by default, backs up your contact list to your website account. This aggravated the situation because there are inconsistencies with the web app, and the phone database...each apparently has fields that the other lacks, so, despite being "backed up," not all of your data is there. There is also a problematic formatting issue...

In Outlook, my numbers were formatted as (xxx)yyy-zzzz, which is the same as the web app (should you add your contacts via it). If you add a fresh contact directly to your phone, the format is xxx-yyy-zzzz. Not that big of a deal, except that it appears to make a difference when texting. The ()'s caused problems in that while the text was marked as "sent," the person I was sending it to never got it. Removing the ()'s solved the issue.

Additionally, on one occasion, the phone would not recognize an incoming text, even though that contact was in the phone's Contact List. The contact entry was formatted xxx-yyy-zzzz, however, the incoming text was being displayed as xxxyyyzzzz. I had to add this unformatted number to the existing contact to get it to work properly. I thought it'd be reformatted to xxx-yyy-zzzz, but, no, it stayed as xxxyyyzzzz...something you can't do manually.

So, in the end, I opted to do everything the long way, by hand. I unlinked the Google account from my phone contacts, and, one by one, readded them all. Actually, make that half. I still have a great many to go...I'm just being lazy about it.

Good luck with yours.

4. clsales

clsales New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    CompanionLink offers both solutions: sync through Google and direct USB sync. Here's info on our direct USB sync - www.companionlink.com/androidusb/

Search tags for this page

how to sync contacts with droid2