Outlook Sync

dzmodelman

Reaction score
i got my droid 2 today, and am thrilled. it looks really slick (the stock case that i ordered with it doesn't fit so good, but whatever) and it's quick.

BUT I CANNOT SYNC WITH MS OUTLOOK?

REALLY?!?!?!

i cannot accept that i am expected to purchase an APP that will not sync my calendar and contacts with outlook, but rather bury them with an app with limited functionality. i am ready to return the phone and all of the accessories that i got today, and go back to my dinosaur (Samsung Omnia). at least the Omnia sync'd easily and accurately with ActiveSync.

someone PLEASE tell me that there is hope that this will be solved soon, or that i am totally on a pointless rant because there is a simple solution that i can find by clicking [somewhere].

thanks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am searching for an answer for you. I do not use outlook personally, but I am sure others do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do not know if this will help your issue or not

[video=youtube;DGfxydCErfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGfxydCErfI[/video]

OP
D

dzmodelman

Reaction score
google this, google that

i've read a few of the pages that involve sync'ing outlook contacts & calendar items via google contact & google calendar, but i have no interest in going through that extra step every time i come home & plug in my phone. i need all of that data to be on both the phone & the computer & be current. without involving google. i'm not one of those people that are google-paranoid, it's just the extra effort that i'm not willing to abide.

thanks for looking into this for me.
-dz

sarahdeez

Reaction score
I also would like to sync my outlook with my incredible. I would rather not use google. Does anyone know the pros vs cons of syncing directly to the incredible vs going through google.

Also, the calendar (came with the phone) on my phone... is it a google calendar or does it sync with google calendar. Can it sync with outlook and not google or does it need to sync with both?

I would like to be able to use my desktop outlook for my primary email, contacts, and calendar. It is easy to use and powerful. And use my incredible when I'm not at home. I would like everything to sync two ways (or three ways if it must go through google).

Any recommendations or help (or links) would be greatly appreciated.

OP
D

dzmodelman

Reaction score
outlook contacts / calendar sync directly with droid 2

747, you have any news?

SiGfever

Reaction score
I also would like to sync my outlook with my incredible. I would rather not use google. Does anyone know the pros vs cons of syncing directly to the incredible vs going through google.

Also, the calendar (came with the phone) on my phone... is it a google calendar or does it sync with google calendar. Can it sync with outlook and not google or does it need to sync with both?

I would like to be able to use my desktop outlook for my primary email, contacts, and calendar. It is easy to use and powerful. And use my incredible when I'm not at home. I would like everything to sync two ways (or three ways if it must go through google).

This worked great with my Incredible...

HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

sarahdeez

Reaction score

This worked great with my Incredible...

HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

Thanks. I am actually using this. It works great but only when connected to my computer right? I could just sync apps when connected to the computer but need to sync emails over 3g. I am currently using touchdown but am having issues with contacts and can't decide if I would rather use HTC calendar or touchdown or others.

What do u use for email over 3g

clsales

Reaction score
i've read a few of the pages that involve sync'ing outlook contacts & calendar items via google contact & google calendar, but i have no interest in going through that extra step every time i come home & plug in my phone. i need all of that data to be on both the phone & the computer & be current. without involving google. i'm not one of those people that are google-paranoid, it's just the extra effort that i'm not willing to abide.

thanks for looking into this for me.
-dz

Hi dz,

There are a few third party apps out there that will sync Outlook calendar and contacts direct over USB, such as CompanionLink (biased, its our app). Take a look - www.companionlink.com/android

This site does a great job of listing all the Outlook to Android solutions that are out there - syncdroid.net

OP
D

dzmodelman

Reaction score
companion link / deja office

is what i'm using now. i signed up for the free trial to test if this solution would work for me. there are a few issues: the contacts did not sync wholly & fully - at least some contacts were sync'd but without all of their data (contact exists, but with a fraction of their original data: email addresses, but no phone #s.) and the contacts & calendar items are buried within the app, not integrated into the phone's 'contacts' and 'calendar'.

got any wisdom for me?
-thoroughly frustrated

clsales

Reaction score
is what i'm using now. i signed up for the free trial to test if this solution would work for me. there are a few issues: the contacts did not sync wholly & fully - at least some contacts were sync'd but without all of their data (contact exists, but with a fraction of their original data: email addresses, but no phone #s.) and the contacts & calendar items are buried within the app, not integrated into the phone's 'contacts' and 'calendar'.

got any wisdom for me?
-thoroughly frustrated

Often, incomplete data can be a sign of corrupted Outlook data files. Try using the scanpst utility to clean your Outlook data. If this still doesn't work, feel free to give us a call, we offer free tech support even if you're using the trial.

To get you contacts and calendar to appear in the native Android contacts and calendar apps, you just need to configure that option in DejaOffice. See here - http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/android/djoclassroom-sync.html#nativesync

TFB

Reaction score
I have been considering a Droid 2 as well, but I cannot sync locally Outlook then I am looking in the wrong place as Companionlink still uses Google. I have searched many threads high and low and still cannot find a local sync application. It seems they really do not want to support it locally unlike Apple.

If anyone has any new information that contradicts this, please post it.

sarahdeez

Reaction score
With HTC incredible u can sync when connected to computer using active sync to outlook. I believe it has to be 2003 or newer version. I just use this for calendar and contacts. I use touchdown for email (hotmail). Or u can use native email ap for most emails. No Google necessary.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife says go to your Gmail page on line and follow the instructions. You convert your contacts to csv files and import them to gmail. Your Gmail! syncs with your Droid. Job over.

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
When I got home with my Droid2, I immediately did a search for an Outlook sync program. After all, that's what I was syncing my Motorola 9QH with...via Motorola's free software. I was somewhat upset when I realized that it didn't work with the Droid2...

Anyway, I found the above mentioned software, and still being upset that Motorola didn't offer another freebie syncing option, downloaded the 14-day trial. I didn't intend to buy it, as my contact info rarely changes...I just didn't want to manually add them all on my new phone.

Well, I ignorantly installed it, and the mayhem began...

I say "ignorantly" because I did not take a close look at how the OS was setup, nor how it worked with all the accounts, nor how Verizon "tries to help" by default.

For instance, I did NOT want all my Outlook contacts synced to my Google address book. Yet, by default, any new contact you add to the phone gets linked to the phone address book, as well as Google's. Definitely NOT what I wanted.

Anyway, after messing around with the CompanionLink software, I eventually got my contacts into the phone's address book. Getting Outlook to sync to CL was easy...moving the contacts from CL to the phone's address book was a pain in the...

Add to this mess that Verizon, by default, backs up your contact list to your website account. This aggravated the situation because there are inconsistencies with the web app, and the phone database...each apparently has fields that the other lacks, so, despite being "backed up," not all of your data is there. There is also a problematic formatting issue...

In Outlook, my numbers were formatted as (xxx)yyy-zzzz, which is the same as the web app (should you add your contacts via it). If you add a fresh contact directly to your phone, the format is xxx-yyy-zzzz. Not that big of a deal, except that it appears to make a difference when texting. The ()'s caused problems in that while the text was marked as "sent," the person I was sending it to never got it. Removing the ()'s solved the issue.

Additionally, on one occasion, the phone would not recognize an incoming text, even though that contact was in the phone's Contact List. The contact entry was formatted xxx-yyy-zzzz, however, the incoming text was being displayed as xxxyyyzzzz. I had to add this unformatted number to the existing contact to get it to work properly. I thought it'd be reformatted to xxx-yyy-zzzz, but, no, it stayed as xxxyyyzzzz...something you can't do manually.

So, in the end, I opted to do everything the long way, by hand. I unlinked the Google account from my phone contacts, and, one by one, readded them all. Actually, make that half. I still have a great many to go...I'm just being lazy about it.

Good luck with yours.