outlook express and aol

timlab1955

Reaction score
I use outlook express and my wife uses aol for email. How do I go about senting up these two programs on the droid X? For example, if my wife or myself get's an email sent to our phone, we would like to have a copy of the same message sent to our PC's. If we send an email from our phones to someone else, we know we would have to BBC this. Thanks For your help in this matter.

tobytl

Reaction score
What's your mail provider in outlook express? Is it a work email address? Or are you using a free service like yahoo?

First off, I'd recommend not using the stock email app. Use something like K9 Mail or Maildroid, they are less buggy overall, and will give you more flexibility (like being able to automatically bcc yourself on outgoing mail).

Having a copy of incoming mail is simple. She should get it no matter what as, from what I gather, she's using either the website, or the aol program itself. In either of those cases, all email regardless of wherever else it goes is available from there. In your case, you also should be fine, depends on your sync setup in outlook mostly (if it grabs read mail).

The outgoing is tricky, the bcc option always works, but depending on the mail provider it may not be necessary. AOL should show sent items from the phone where it normally shows sent items, as it is a full imap implementation (test it to make sure, obviously). Yours will depend on your mail provider.

To actually set the accounts up, you may get lucky and it will automatically know the settings for the servers you're using, AOL I can pretty much guarantee. That means, your wife can just put in the email address and her password, and it should just work. Yours, again, will depend on your provider. Your settings can be viewed in your mail account settings in outlook express if nothing else.

OP
T

timlab1955

Reaction score
tobytl - thanks for the info. I use Comcast.net as my mail server. I found a web site that shows all the settings, but now I've lost that page. But most of the time we will still use our computers. We plan on just using it when on vacation, but heck you never know right?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may be able to forward your email to gmail or have gmail check your other account.

If you don't want to go through gmail, do not use the stock Email app as it is buggy. Use any alternative, such as K9, maildroid, or Touchdown.

smokinfish

Reaction score
I have 3 emails set up through the stock email app and it works fine for me. It also leaves the messages on the servers. All you need is the incoming and outgoing configurations for the accounts and it's a breeze to set up.

Good luck,

D

OP
T

timlab1955

Reaction score
Can't I just log into my outlook express/aol account and read and reply? I know the apps is what makes the driod good/excellent, but I figure since my phone will always be on/connected to the net through wifi that I could just bring up comcast.net/aol.net and look at my mail? Is this even possible? Thanks.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, use a web browser.

I use Dolphin HD and set user agent to computer/desktop so I don't have to see mobile sites--get the real deal! Dolphin HD also has tabs, which are very handy.

Technoman

Reaction score
I use outlook express and my wife uses aol for email. How do I go about senting up these two programs on the droid X? For example, if my wife or myself get's an email sent to our phone, we would like to have a copy of the same message sent to our PC's. If we send an email from our phones to someone else, we know we would have to BBC this. Thanks For your help in this matter.

I will try to explain this without making it sound negative in anyway.

Outlook Express is not a service, it is an email program and has no affect on what you will do on your Droid.

AOL is a service (an extremely poor one) that would have impact on what you need to do with your Droid.

I use the stock program for yahoo, hotmail, and my verizon accounts and don't have any issues at all.

There is a dedicated yahoo app, but I haven't really tried it enough to give good feedback.

The way the email functions on the Droid is that all activity is server based. This means that everything you do should remain on the server and then be available to other phones and your PC application.

With that stated, there are options that you can set to make sure that every email you send leaves a copy in your sent items on the server. It also allows you to cause anything you delete to either be saved or deleted.

I have not used K9, Droidmail, or any third party email apps. Reason is that I do not have problems with the default app that is provided.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stock client encodes all messages in base 64 causing messages to appear as gibberish in some email clients. Stock email client's database becomes corrupted causing all sorts of problems. Don't say you weren't warned.