Outlook email wont send!

shuksan

Reaction score
help, anyone please.

I just spent two hours on a plane answering and sending emails from my Droid. I normally synch with outlook and have had no problems until today. The Droid was in airplane mode. I turned the phone off for landing, and restarted it at the gate. The problem was that I could receive new emails, but none of the forty emails I wrote were sent. They were stuck in the outbox. At the bottom of the outbox is a "send email" button. I hit it and it did nothing.

I tried restarting several times, hit refresh many times, but nothing. All the emails were just staying in the outbox. Then, when I got to the hotel, I used the forums here for help and updated my outlook settings. Well, that was bad. All the pending emails were deleted!!
The phone works now, BUT WARNING TO ALL. Do not work in email in airplane mode. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover and send my emails? Does anyone understand what went wrong?
thanks. I am very frustrated with my DROID right now.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
so sorry! i have no idea how to help but i'll bump ya up so everyone sees it :D

ruinah

Reaction score
We seem to have this problem with Droids now. We run Good Mobile Messaging and it works for a week then items get stuck in the outbox. It was exactly 7 days 2 weeks in a row. Very frustrating. No one has any answers either.

Silver Member
Reaction score
We seem to have this problem with Droids now. We run Good Mobile Messaging and it works for a week then items get stuck in the outbox. It was exactly 7 days 2 weeks in a row. Very frustrating. No one has any answers either.
not sure how Good Mobile Messaging is related to OP's thread.

shuksan, it's possible that your account was having trouble communicating with the server, or there was an issue that was slowing the process down. what did you do that cleared out your messages?

ruinah

Reaction score
why is it that people take a holier than thou attitude when posting to forums? I've never understood that.

Good Mobile Messaging is related because it uses the same process to send mail as the default mail client on the Droid. OP had a problem with sending emails and I said I did too. So how is that not related? I'm not looking for an argumen, I have the exact same issue, emails receive fine but won't send. I have a case open with Good regarding it but they haven't come up with anything yet. Google searches show a lot of issues with email on the Droid. Seems like it's more an OS issue than a client issue.

Silver Member
Reaction score
why is it that people take a holier than thou attitude when posting to forums? I've never understood that.

Good Mobile Messaging is related because it uses the same process to send mail as the default mail client on the Droid. OP had a problem with sending emails and I said I did too. So how is that not related? I'm not looking for an argumen, I have the exact same issue, emails receive fine but won't send. I have a case open with Good regarding it but they haven't come up with anything yet. Google searches show a lot of issues with email on the Droid. Seems like it's more an OS issue than a client issue.
if you're referring to Google Talk, then I had no idea. there isn't an app installed on Android 2.x called Google Mobile Messaging.

also, google talk has nothing to do with how the default email client sends and receives messages. OP's issue of losing items from the outbox is not related to GTALK in any way.

even the default email client and teh gmail client use different applications and methods to send/receive email.

so if you could clarify what your issue is, we'd be glad to help.

ruinah

Reaction score

if you're referring to Google Talk, then I had no idea. there isn't an app installed on Android 2.x called Google Mobile Messaging.

also, google talk has nothing to do with how the default email client sends and receives messages. OP's issue of losing items from the outbox is not related to GTALK in any way.

even the default email client and teh gmail client use different applications and methods to send/receive email.

so if you could clarify what your issue is, we'd be glad to help.

I am referring to Good Mobile message, not Google anything really. Good Technology (used to be owned by Motorola) is the site if you want to see what I mean. It's basically corporate push email for mobile phones that enterprises can use in place of blackberry or Microsoft Activesync. It works across a ton of devices like the Droid, iPhone, windows mobile, etc. It's a separate client that gets installed from the marketplace but essentially uses the same mechanism for mail transfer as the built in client. I have GMM deployed on 177 phones in my company but the Droid is what has the problem. I know the client is really new, it's just not complete IMHO. The Good Support team gathered some logfiles and such from the device and are supposed to get back to me later today to see what they see. Incoming emails work, calendar works, etc.

I'm not expecting anyone here to come up with an answer, I was really just throwing it out there that Good Mobile has a similar issue to direct push for Outlook that others have seen so that makes me think it's more device specific than application specific. I do appreciate the responses and offer for help though. This forum is a wealth of information for any Droid owner. I've found tons of useful stuff over the last few months. :motdroidvert:

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am referring to Good Mobile message, not Google anything really. Good Technology (used to be owned by Motorola) is the site if you want to see what I mean. It's basically corporate push email for mobile phones that enterprises can use in place of blackberry or Microsoft Activesync. It works across a ton of devices like the Droid, iPhone, windows mobile, etc. It's a separate client that gets installed from the marketplace but essentially uses the same mechanism for mail transfer as the built in client. I have GMM deployed on 177 phones in my company but the Droid is what has the problem. I know the client is really new, it's just not complete IMHO. The Good Support team gathered some logfiles and such from the device and are supposed to get back to me later today to see what they see. Incoming emails work, calendar works, etc.

I'm not expecting anyone here to come up with an answer, I was really just throwing it out there that Good Mobile has a similar issue to direct push for Outlook that others have seen so that makes me think it's more device specific than application specific. I do appreciate the responses and offer for help though. This forum is a wealth of information for any Droid owner. I've found tons of useful stuff over the last few months. :motdroidvert:

this was a much better response than your first attempt. now that i understand what you are referring to, we can all work from the same page. i think you might have come in here under the assumption that we all knew what you were referring to. it's hard to tell from newer members if they mean what they say. ;)

with that said, i suspect there's some disconnect between the data block of airplane mode and communication back to the applications that it's safe to send these pending items.

i've been able to send draft items without fail, so there is definitely some sort of communication failure between system and app that is occurring.

redrandy

Reaction score
I am also having a problem with Good Mobile Messaging and items getting stuck in the outbox?

Good Mobile Messaging has been working fine and then last week it started queuing email in the outbox.

ruinah

Reaction score
ok an update to this issue. The phone I had been working with I ended up removing Good Mobile and just setting up Exchange Activesync direct. It worked for a few days and then the person traveled to the west coast and guess what? It stopped sending emails again! He can receive just fine but cannot send outbound. This is clearly a problem with the Droid and not exchange or Good.

Is there a way to submit something like this to Motorola? I know others have the issue with the Exchange settings wiped out and I read somewhere it appeared they were working on that but I'd lik to submit a bug report to them to look at if that's possible. Anyone know any avenues? Verizon support would be useless for something like this. They'd have me hard reset and then send a replacement phone.

On my Droid, I haven't had any email sync issues until today. Gmail stopped receiving push emails for some reason. I turned the phone off and then back on and it sync'd up just fine. I can't push these phones out corporately with these issues. I have a lot of demand for the Droid but without solid email it won't fly. It's a shame too because I really love the phone personally.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I just ran a test. I put the phone in airplane mode, and sent several emails. Waited about 10 minutes and turn am off. The emails came through to the other people right away. I am using Touchdown. I will try a few more times.

ruinah

Reaction score
I think it might have something to do with the time zone itself when changing zones with the carrier detection. I wish I had a trip coming up next week but won't till the end of March.

redrandy

Reaction score
The first email in my outbox that got stuck was an "accepted" outlook calendar event/email.
Has anyone tried uninstalling/reinstalling GMM (Good) on the droid? (I have not tried this yet).

kidko92

Reaction score
Droid X and ActiveSync Outlook issue

Hey folks, not sure is this helps, but I too have experienced outlook emails getting stuck and frozen in the outbox.

The telltale sign was that when I'd open the email app -- even after long stretches, it wouldn't automatically run a refresh. I'd have to force it, at which time it would download emails. Although sometimes it would be in batches, where I'd have to force refresh it multiple times. All this time, the email is still stuck in the outbox.

From what I've been able to figure out, it seems that this happens (very often) when you power cycle with the power button atop the phone. I don't shut it off much so I didn't realize that, but on multiple business trips it happened when I powered down at the beginning of a flight and then turned it on at the end. I've tried it sitting in my office and it seems to replicate it.

To release the email, I've found that you need to remove the battery for a minimum of 20 seconds. Shorter doesn't seem to always right it. In one or two cases I've had to pull the battery twice (altho that may be b/c I didn't wait long enough the first time).

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if anyone can replicate.