Outgoing Server

fenwayman

Reaction score
I live in Chesapeake, Virginia and I have a new Droid X which I have had almost 1 month. I am able to get incoming emails, but I am not able to send out any emails. Verizon is my carrier(of course) and my ISP that I get my emails from at home which I pick up on my Droid X is @cox.net.

Verizon has told me that since my emails are not through a gmail address it may be why I am not able to send messages.

What I am looking for is does anyone know what the correct port and SMTP server should be?

Thanks so much in advance.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What are you using to check your emails? There are various email applications out there, K-9 is one that is spoke highly of around here, I personally don't use it though.

You should be able to send out emails regardless of what you use, I use Yahoo most of the time and even had a couple friends send some through Hotmail. The reps were wrong that it has to be gmail specific, you just need a gmail account to access Android, that's pretty much it.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Uh, I have an @live.com email account. I have to go into the app drawer and hit the @ email icon and choose the @live.com account, choose compose and then I can send the email. I set the account up on the phone to give me notifications when I get emails and get the same notifications as with Google, only with the @ icon in the notification bar.

You must have the @cox.net account set up in My Accounts.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I live in Chesapeake, Virginia and I have a new Droid X which I have had almost 1 month. I am able to get incoming emails, but I am not able to send out any emails. Verizon is my carrier(of course) and my ISP that I get my emails from at home which I pick up on my Droid X is @cox.net.

Verizon has told me that since my emails are not through a gmail address it may be why I am not able to send messages.

What I am looking for is does anyone know what the correct port and SMTP server should be?

Thanks so much in advance.

You are not able to send because Cox blocks port 25 which is default on most email apps. Here's the settings that worked for my cox pop3 account:

[FONT=&quot]Port 465 (some have success with port 587)
SSL (if available) = checked/selected

Good luck.
[/FONT]

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't even bother with Verizon for questions like this. That's blatantly incorrect. Plenty of Android users successfully use non-gmail email accounts on their devices.

You should be able to send out emails regardless of what you use
Depends on the email provider. With ISP's, not all allow the use of their SMTP servers if you're not on their network as a method of spam prevention. Some require authentication to use the SMTP server.

If the suggestion above doesn't work then you need to check with Cox. It's specific to however they have it set up.

Last edited:

dld

Reaction score
Cox Email Server Setting for Smartphones

Per Cox Communications: Use Secure Authentication Settings when setting up email on devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Smart Phones (i.e. Android, HTC).

Location - East Email Server Server Port Settings for Secure Authentication

For the Following States:
Arkansas
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Nebraska
New England
Ohio