Outdoor work resistant case ideas needed

dvap00

Reaction score
I do a lot of outdoor work (lanscaping, mowing, etc...) I'm noticing my Droid gets full of dust/dirt/grass/leaves etc.. while in my pocket. I've done some looking for a sealed case idea, where maybe there is a earphone plug hole, or I could make one. I've checked out camera cases, ICan't cases and a multitude of others. Has anyone come across something like this? Thanks!!

lmodine

Reaction score
I work in a kitchen i use a sip up case for a portable hard drive . It works great. The inside is water proof. U can slip the wires through the zipper. It will also hold acessories and the phone securely inside because of the mesh netting. The only real draw back is it is bulky. But it works great to protect my phone from the elements of kitchen work and i still get a signal through the case and can hear my calls come in.

Hermes

Reaction score
I do a lot of outdoor work (lanscaping, mowing, etc...) I'm noticing my Droid gets full of dust/dirt/grass/leaves etc.. while in my pocket. I've done some looking for a sealed case idea, where maybe there is a earphone plug hole, or I could make one. I've checked out camera cases, ICan't cases and a multitude of others. Has anyone come across something like this? Thanks!!
Nite Ize Backbone Cases Nite Ize Official Site

dwood

Reaction score
I've had fair luck using a Zip-Lock sandwich bag. You can see who is calling and I've actually answered calls without removing it from the bag. Don't know how my audio sounded on the other end . . . but at least they could understand me until I removed it from the bag.

wakeb791

Reaction score
I've had fair luck using a Zip-Lock sandwich bag. You can see who is calling and I've actually answered calls without removing it from the bag. Don't know how my audio sounded on the other end . . . but at least they could understand me until I removed it from the bag.

I used to do that all the time with my BlackBerry when I did landscaping, except I'd take it out of the bag to answer...never tried leaving it in!

JimmyD

Reaction score
Otter Box makes a SERIOUS case! :)

Here's another case that's similar, but keep in mind, I have no experience with this case, I just saw it online a week ago....

(I'm not even sure who manufactures this case?)

From this website: Verizon Motorola Droid Accessories : (5 Star Rating): Google Checkout available.

PSI61317_MAIN.jpg

waterproof_actual_size.jpg

OP
D

dvap00

Reaction score
I'll check those out and give a full report on whatever I decide to try. Thanks, i had the ziplock idea, just hadn't brought myself to try it:)

monsterman

Reaction score

Here's another case that's similar, but keep in mind, I have no experience with this case, I just saw it online a week ago....

From this website: Verizon Motorola Droid Accessories : (5 Star Rating): Google Checkout available.
that is the otterbox 2600 its not quite as good as the 1900. The 1900 has a hard plastic cover that flips up giving u access the the thin plastic u can press through. the 2600 just has the thin plastic thingy that could maybe still get hit by something breaking the glass on ur phone..all depends on where ur using it i guess. But remember the 1900 and the 2600 are LARGE. on otterbox they were both at the same price ($50) so I chose the 1900 because its actually a better case.
here is the link to the 2600 right off otterbox
2600 Series PDA Case // OtterBox.com

trbasil

Reaction score
Pelican makes a case designed for iphone/touch that fits the Droid nicely.

Pelican i1015

It is big and bulky, but it has a molded insert that holds the Droid snugly inside so it's not bouncing around. It also has a headphone pass-through in it. Just plug the cable inside the case into the droid, and your headphones into the the case.

sun-sense

Reaction score

that is the otterbox 2600 its not quite as good as the 1900. The 1900 has a hard plastic cover that flips up giving u access the the thin plastic u can press through. the 2600 just has the thin plastic thingy that could maybe still get hit by something breaking the glass on ur phone..all depends on where ur using it i guess. But remember the 1900 and the 2600 are LARGE. on otterbox they were both at the same price ($50) so I chose the 1900 because its actually a better case.
here is the link to the 2600 right off otterbox
2600 Series PDA Case // OtterBox.com

OK - you can easily get to the screen.

But as it switches off all the time, how do you easily get to the top right on/off buitton ???

monsterman

Reaction score
on the 1900 there is a lil rubber plug in the top where u can stick something in there and press the power button, im not sure if the 2600 has that lil plug or not. Also if you dont want to mess about doing that i think there is an app that lets u turn the phone back on by pressing the screen but im not sure.

sun-sense

Reaction score
on the 1900 there is a lil rubber plug in the top where u can stick something in there and press the power button, im not sure if the 2600 has that lil plug or not. Also if you dont want to mess about doing that i think there is an app that lets u turn the phone back on by pressing the screen but im not sure.

Yes, but you bought a 1900 so what are you doing about it ?

Mine is set to go off after a minute. What about you ?

Having to take off a plug and then push something in 20 times or so a day is going to get real boring, real fast.

I asked about the crappy on/off switch (jeesh, it'll wear out) on some other thread but was told there was no other way.

If you find something, let me know.

Thanks.

sun-sense

Reaction score
I did some searches and screenbl might fit the bill.

I'll give the free version a test.

monsterman

Reaction score
screebl will keep ur screen on when tilted right and turn it off in as little as 15sec when tilted to the off position of the program. You will still need to use the power button to turn the phone back on. I bought my 1900 for using while in the boat or jetskiing. i do not intend to be turning the phone on and off all the time while doing those things. Oh and screebl paid version is about exactly the same as the free version its not worth the $2, but i didn't retract my payment because i love the program and felt it was worth giving them the $2 because i wanted to support them, not because it actually give me better features over the free version. The 1900 is a nice case but unless you are able to find the app where u can just touch the screen to wake the phone its more so used to protect the phone in extreme conditions where you arn't using it all the time but want it with you in case you need it. Or if you are wanting to be able to use the phone for calling w/the 1900 a bluetooth is always an option. but so you are clear screebl just keeps ur phone on based on how its positioned it does not turn it on when its asleep.