Out of country

kevin1016

Reaction score
I've heard the Droid doesn't work internationally. Is that true of voice and data or just voice?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Droid doesn't work internationally because it's a CDMA phone and many parts of the world are very GSM dominant. If you're in a part of the world with CDMA coverage then you might be fine. If you're in a GSM dominant area, you'll be out of luck.

OP
kevin1016

kevin1016

Reaction score
Droid doesn't work internationally because it's a CDMA phone and many parts of the world are very GSM dominant. If you're in a part of the world with CDMA coverage then you might be fine. If you're in a GSM dominant area, you'll be out of luck.
Thanks for the response. Anyone know about Cancun?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Yes, it will work in Cancun.

I seem to remember there being some benefit to calling Verizon and telling them when you plan to travel to get on an international roaming plan of sorts. Not required but makes calls cheaper. International roaming is charged per minute and not included in your monthly minute allowance.

I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure I read that in one of the few fine prints I actually read on a contract. I am certain that it will work in Cancun however.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the VZW has such info:
Calling From Mexico

The coverage map can be hard to read but there's a list of covered cities/states/provinces.

FLE

Reaction score
Agree if you want to use a phone out of the USA and Parts of Canada. you need a gsm phone. troll the net you can rent them with pre-paid time and everything.