Otterbox Front Doesn't Clip

OP
G

geeyawn

Reaction score
i ended up getting a new droid because my original was faulty, and not the oterbox front case fits. maybe its the phone itself?

JimmyD

Reaction score
i ended up getting a new droid because my original was faulty, and not the oterbox front case fits. maybe its the phone itself?

So... are you saying that the same Otterbox front case that did not fit your first Droid does now fit your second Droid? :icon_question:

thebarbrr

Reaction score
Wow..i am not alone!!! i bought this case a month ago and am on my third one!!!!!! GRRR...my first did not snap on, otterbox replaced it. The replacement snapped on, but face plate cracked by itself on day 3 on the upper right hand side of the face plate, and the next replacement (which i recieved july 16) cracked in the exact same upper right hand side!!!! going to email otterbox again

Invader DJ

Reaction score

I think there is something to this. I had to replace my Droid and the front of my Otterbox doesn't fit correctly either. The right hand side is fine but the top and bottom of the left hand side (the side that is closer to the USB port) doesn't clip right. Tried it on my older Moto Droid and it fits with no problem, snaps on perfectly. I think there is some hardware difference between phones or something. I'm going to mess with it for a few days, I'm thinking maybe older phones have looser sliders and that is allowing the case to fit right (due to the slider being operated more and becoming looser)

If that doesn't help anything, I'll contact Otterbox.

IDGBZ71

Reaction score
I just got my otter box last week and it fit no problems at all, much better then the body glove not nearly as bulky. Like that is has covers for ear phone and charging jack and raised buttons for camera an external controls.

ezerpdog

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem... found that if I flip the front cover so that the mic hole is on the earpiece side, it fits fine that way.

wondering if maybe they (otterbox) had a bad batch or something.

Nobody's said anything about having a hard time hearing me, and it was a much easier fix than going through three or four different cases or having my droid replaced.

gmoore4th

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem... found that if I flip the front cover so that the mic hole is on the earpiece side, it fits fine that way.

wondering if maybe they (otterbox) had a bad batch or something.

Nobody's said anything about having a hard time hearing me, and it was a much easier fix than going through three or four different cases or having my droid replaced.

It looks and sounds to me like the Motorola Droid phones that are received as replacements after the Original Droids are turned in (for whatever reason) are built differently from a hardware standpoint. The front (top) face plate must be built differently. I just received a replacement Droid phone because my original (bought in November 2009) had a manufacturing defect.

I am now scared to buy an Otter Box case for the replacement phone.

krosenqu

Reaction score
Wow. It sounds like Motorola has two different hardware specs floating around. This is HUGE! If their hardware is different, that has huge repercussions on hardware accessory manufactures!

Can anybody confirm this?

JimmyD

Reaction score
Wow. It sounds like Motorola has two different hardware specs floating around. This is HUGE! If their hardware is different, that has huge repercussions on hardware accessory manufactures!

Can anybody confirm this?

Come on now... you can't be serious?!

Sure, there might be a possibility that there's different hardware specs... but I would HIGHLY doubt it.
Although, I certainly would not jump to that conclusion based on the fitment of an aftermarket, plastic case!

QcGuy

Reaction score
Well count me as well,
I have 2 brand new Droid's and each has a Otterbox. Both Otterbox's fit one phone just fine and the other phone if I rotate the Otterbox front cover upside down it will fit. It does block the microphone a little bit but nobody has said they have a hard time hearing me. Sounds like there was a small manufacturing flaw with the phone. No big deal to me since the cover fits and works I can live with it.

Cronkalicious

Reaction score
I had an Otterbox as well, I really liked it until the front plate kept coming off 6 or 7 times a day. I had this case for six weeks and Tuesday the front plate finally snapped.
I bought a Seidio and put it on today and man is this thing slick! It doesn't IMO have as much protection as the Otterbox, but not quite as bulky either.
Nice snug fit!

ugadawgs23

Reaction score
Same problem. Mine came today and the top part of the case not fitting just might be the most frustrating thing ever.

GhostMe135

Reaction score
Same Problem: Front of case wont clip on.

I had the same problem. I purchased the otter box commuter case on eBay, and the front of the case wouldn't clip on at all. Otter box sent me a new case which i received today, and it too, does not fit. I have purchased a Seidio surface case and it fits beautifully. I had a cheap 5 dollar plastic piece of junk, and it fit perfectly too! I do not buy into this nonsense about different hardware models being out. Why would Motorola waste money making slightly different molds for their phone...I think otter box just either has a bad batch, or all their cases for Motorola droid are like this...For 35 bucks i would say this otter box is a piece of junk. You could always use a different brand front and the otter-box backing, which is clearly what you're paying for anyways.

gmoore4th

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I purchased the otter box commuter case on eBay, and the front of the case wouldn't clip on at all. Otter box sent me a new case which i received today, and it too, does not fit. I have purchased a Seidio surface case and it fits beautifully. I had a cheap 5 dollar plastic piece of junk, and it fit perfectly too! I do not buy into this nonsense about different hardware models being out. Why would Motorola waste money making slightly different molds for their phone...I think otter box just either has a bad batch, or all their cases for Motorola droid are like this...For 35 bucks i would say this otter box is a piece of junk. You could always use a different brand front and the otter-box backing, which is clearly what you're paying for anyways.

I bought the Otter Box for Motorola Droid one month ago, in July. The case from Otter Box fit my refurbished Droid beautifully. We will see how well it holds up, but so far so good. If the case you receive from Otter Box does not fit, they will replace it.

bleve

Reaction score
My wife and I just got our Otter boxes today for our less than 2 week old Droids (bought the cases on Amazon). I couldn't get the front cover to snap on either, very frustrating. After playing with it she was able to get them both on. I had mine in my pocket and took it and dislodged the cover. She was able to get it back on after maybe five minutes of playing with it. I'm still not sure what she's doing that I'm not. I couldn't tell if there's a top or bottom to the thing but now that I read the comments I see the small dent for the microphone. All I can see is that one side does not have any clips to hold it on which seems pointless. Is there a side to start with to press it on? Hopefully it will stay on now.