1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Otterbox Defender

Discussion in 'Galaxy Nexus Accessories' started by Corbinlissabet, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Corbinlissabet

Corbinlissabet New Member

Anybody that has the Otterbox Defender, how are you liking it? I still have my Livingsocial coupon and am trying to decide on which case to get.

Does the built in screen protector wash out the display? How much bulk does it add? ...etc.
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I have an Otterbox.....First time for me. Not sure if it's the defender, but it has the included screen protector. Can't say about "wash out" because I didn't spend hardly any time with the demo unit and the sales rep put on my case for me right out of the box. I still think the screen is outstanding.

I don't get all the nitpicks sometimes. It's a 4.6" screen and it seems people want 50" plasma-like definition and vividness. Maybe it matters if you do a lot of photos or video/games on your phone (again, I ask "Why?" on such a tiny screen).

Anyway, I really like the case. Does add a bit of thickness (not much, really), but I also think there should be a balance between thickness and width, and it feels right to me.
  3. kyle10

kyle10 New Member

I've had one on my ipod and have one currently on my incredible, it is the defender series. It ads bulk but not too much. I'm satisfied with both cases so I would say if u got one u would be satisfied

Sent from my rooted Droid Incredible using DroidFourms
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I got sold into an Otterbox for mine.
    Initial thoughts on it after spending a day with it.

Pros:
    Fits quite well
    Seems very sturdy, as it should be since Otterbox is a fairly big name in cases.
    The holster/belt clip can double as a kickstand of sorts (I like propping my phone up so I can see it at work).
    The buttons work fine (as in lock and volume).
    I like the rubber grippy feel in my hand.

Cons:
    A bit of a pain to take apart and put back together if you need to do a battery pull.
    The holster can muffle the phone if you put it in with the screen facing out (which with the speaker being a little lacking. If you put it in with the speaker facing out, you can't see the notification light.
    The screen protector is nice, but does seem to ever so slightly impair responsiveness. Perhaps I am doing something wrong here (I unfortunately haven't had as much free time to play with it as I would have liked). I haven't had serious issues swiping works fine, pinching, it works... but I can tell a difference between nude and with Otterbox.
    If you have larger hands/fingers the edges of the screen can be harder to interact with, like say pulling the notification bar down.
    The notification LED has a large hole for it, but it is recessed under a bit of plastic. Meaning if you are looking at it from certain angles it potentially could be missed, especially in a well lit room.
    Adds more size and heft to the device. This is going to happen with most, but this one is actually pretty heavy in itself. Nothing crazy, but the holster is and the case is rather thick plastic, then there is a rubber piece as well.
    I hate doors/covers on ports that are used frequently, like the USB port on this case. There is a cover on the headphone jack too (separate cover).
    This will make it too big to fit in other docks or holsters. It also covers the 3 metal prongs on the one side

I was given a deal on it, which was why I bought it (my initial plan was to buy a more simplistic case). I am pretty happy with this one so far, despite my rather long list of cons. I perhaps will invest in a different case down the line, or ditch it completely (I did this with my OG Droid eventually after I needed to do multiple battery pulls). But initially I try and baby the new toy.
Search tags for this page
defender case for samsung galaxy s2 at@t
defender case for samsung s2 review
galaxy s2 otterbox defender review
how much bulk does the otterbox defender add to droid incred
on the otterbox defender how does the kickstand work
otterbox armor galaxy s2
otterbox defender
otterbox defender case fit s2 review
otterbox defender case for samsung galaxy s2
otterbox defender for samsung s2

otterbox defender galaxy s2