Otterbox Defender Series before you buy...

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I've had my S4 now for over a month with the Otterbox Defender case and some of the wave functions do not work at all. Two examples of this, for me, are the screenshot and answering the phone. I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same problems but be weary of buying the defender series if these functions are a must for you.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks for putting that info out there, good in case someone is looking to make a decision either way. I always like the Ottorbox Commuter cases, not as bulky but still protected. FWIW wave functions work fine as well. :)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Just a question: is it because of the case covering up sensors, or because of the pos screen protector that comes pre-installed? Because if it's the screen, then I would take it off, clean the glue off the inside, and put a zagg on there.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
ms4teacher

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Just a question: is it because of the case covering up sensors, or because of the pos screen protector that comes pre-installed? Because if it's the screen, then I would take it off, clean the glue off the inside, and put a zagg on there.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Not really. The sensors are visible and there are no obstructions. I actually did that with my razr maxx. Might go with a commuter case like sydman.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Love my defender case and have had no issues with the sensors or the front facing camera. The only issue I have is dust getting inside the case around the physical home button at the bottom of the phone.

DaRONI

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing either a defender or commuter case, but I'm seeing mixed reviews on the included screen protectors. Anybody here care to chime in? With the defender I've seen reports of it not fitting tightly and letting dust get under the screen protector. Does anybody know if you can skip the included screen protectors on either version and use a standard protector?

OP
ms4teacher

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing either a defender or commuter case, but I'm seeing mixed reviews on the included screen protectors. Anybody here care to chime in? With the defender I've seen reports of it not fitting tightly and letting dust get under the screen protector. Does anybody know if you can skip the included screen protectors on either version and use a standard protector?
There is dust that can be seen near the speaker and sensors but the screen protectors are attached (glued) to the case. You could rip it off and use one you're more comfortable with.(I've done that before)

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also use the Otterbox defender, and it is a great case, I removed that crap screen protector on it, removed the glue adhesive residue left behind with goo be gone and denatured alcohol, it took some work but I got everything off, that is a must for not to have any debris "like sand" get caught on the glue adhesive and scratch up the screen.

OP
ms4teacher

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I also use the Otterbox defender, and it is a great case, I removed that crap screen protector on it, removed the glue adhesive residue left behind with goo be gone and denatured alcohol, it took some work but I got everything off, that is a must for not to have any debris "like sand" get caught on the glue adhesive and scratch up the screen.

With the defender case are you able to answer your phone with the wave or look at status without touching the phone with the wave gesture as well? The case seems to limit those functions.

krameroid

Reaction score
First, I'll let it be known that I hate cases and rather have a naked phone! But I have the Defender as well. So far it's done a great job. I work in commerical construction and wear this on my hip daily, so it goes through a lot of drywall dust, sawdust, and metal shavings. I've noticed just a tiny bit of dust collect by the camera and speaker since they're exposed, but nothing under the screen. I've dropped it, smacked it a few times on steel pipe, and it has gotten wet from a soaked dog shaking himself dry. Still truckin!

menudo18

Reaction score
My S3 defender never gave me any problems with the front sensors or camera. The dist getting into the openings was a problem and the rubber streatching out was always a problem I contacted otter box last year about the streatched silicon but they never addressed the issue. Other that that great case.

OP
ms4teacher

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Every sensor works fine, no issues here.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

So the wave features work fine? I try to answer the phone and take screenshots with the features but it's a no go...is that working for you with the case??

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it is, the sensors are at the top of the device which are not covered in any way. Like I said, no issues here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
I'm using both the defender case and a screen protector and have no problems with wave and hover gestures, works perfectly fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta