Otterbox Defender Review w/ HQ Pics

Discussion in 'Galaxy Nexus Accessories' started by droijo, Dec 19, 2011.

1. droijo

droijo New Member

Hello all,

Been an Android user since the OG Droid, going from the OG Droid to the gNexus was a big change. I felt like I had to get a case for this phone because it doesn't feel right in the hand. It's thin, very light compared to the OG Droid, and bigger. I wanted to protect my investment and trying to find a thin case was not an option. I wanted to add some weight and above all a bigger thickness to the phone.

If you are looking for a thin case, this is definitely not the one for you.

Overall, I think this case did everything it set out to do. Protect the phone, while still giving access to all the main ports and controls without much of a hindrance. All slots lined up perfectly and there was no issue at all with installation or removal. The silicone skin sticks to dust like a magnet to metal but it feels better than the phone itself. Gives you a good grip to hold onto all around the phone up to the screen itself. It adds some weight to the phone and it finally feels better now in the palm like I'm actually holding on to a phone or something of significance. Before, it felt like I was holding onto a postcard of some sort (may be different to a lot of you who upgraded from newer already lighter phone).

I didn't take any pictures of the holster but I'm impressed by it. It holds the phone either facing in or out and it feels sturdy and rugged enough I'm confident in clipping my phone on to it and it wont fall out. I can't face it into the holster when traveling and rest assured the screen will be protected or flip it the other way with the screen facing out so that I can pull the whole thing out of my pocket and use it easily without taking the actual holster off. (Yes, I clip the holster to the inside of my pocket, not on my belt)

There is a slight issue I have with it but to me, it's not that big of a deal. The built in screen protector has a rainbow pixelation effect on the phone. I've gotten used to it and over it so it's not a big deal.

The other issue is it gives a bouncing feedback when you touch the screen because the screen protector itself is mounted onto the case and not something you apply to the phone. So it's to be expected, but sometimes some touch strokes don't register and you have to press a little bit harder than you would if you weren't using it.

Well, pictures are below and thanks for the read. Ask any questions you'd like and I'll try my best to answer.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
  2. droijo

droijo New Member

Additional pictures.

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
  3. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Thanks for the post. That thing is a monster! Only thing I don't like is the huge bezel trim. Do you find it makes it hard to use the touch screen towards the edges? I had that issue on my OG Droid. Some cases made it hard to use the phone.
  4. slider112

slider112 New Member

Nice review and pics, thanks very much.

Love the Otterbox quality; the Defender series is definitely nice, well protected... I'm looking at the Commuter case right now; something just a little thinner.
  5. droijo

droijo New Member

No, not at all. I have no issues pulling down the notification list or anything around the edges. The case itself leaves some space from the screen to the bezel of the case itself that touching things on the edge doesn't become a problem. You can kind of see this on the very last picture. I've played a couple games like frontline commando and controls are still on the edges.
  6. WPThunder25

WPThunder25 New Member

Just wanted to add something. I bought the Defender case for it also and hated it because of the built-in screen protector. It made the screen look like crap, so much so that it gave me a headache after using it for an extended period of time. I'm sure it won't do that to everyone though. I took off the screen protector, which is very easy to do, and put on an Invisible Shield screen protector. I love the case now.
  7. cloud12077

cloud12077 Member

Funny thing, I switched over to this forum to see if anyone had any info on this case. Loved the review, now my only question that I still really have is...water proof/water resistance test? I wouldn't expect you to do it, but I would love to see a video on this bad boy being dunked into the water.
  8. droijo

droijo New Member

Yeah the pixelated rainbow effect is quite annoying but I only notice it most on white backgrounds. I don't use my phone for extended periods of time so I will keep that in mind in case it does. For me to apply a screen protector, I have to use water/soap so if I can get over this, I wont have to possibly mess up my phone.
  9. droijo

droijo New Member

I am not sure if this is a joke or not but the phone itself I'm sure isn't water proof and the case wont protect it from being waterproof. The case itself is 3 layers that snap all together leaving gaps and lines, and openings to the phone.
  10. WPThunder25

WPThunder25 New Member

I use Handcent quite often and the background is white and it annoyed me very much. Yes it involves liquids but I had Best Buy do it for me because I'm scared of doing it also.
  11. cloud12077

cloud12077 Member

Ohh, I was just wondering since I saw the case on the i*hone and they dunked it in the water and it was working. Guess it was wishful thinking.
  12. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken Member

I got the Otterbox yesterday, and after about 15 minutes of looking through that screen protector, I tore it out (used some Goo Gone to get the glue residue off) and am going with a naked screen -- the best thing about the Nexus is the beautiful screen, and the screen protector just wrecked that. Earlier today I dropped the phone (BY ACCIDENT) taking it out of my pocket and it was all good, so the Otterbox paid off there.

I'm looking now for a screen protector that will not lower the quality of the screen, but overall I'm not that worried about scratching the screen, and mostly got the case because I dropped my OG about 15 times in 2 years, and while it still works fine (gave it to my Dad), it's pretty badly scuffed up, with a couple of dents. When I give him the Nexus in two years, I want it to be pristine.
  13. Larry Mahnken

Larry Mahnken Member

Also, this is my first Otterbox, and I have to say that the hard case is a bit trick to pull off, especially around the top (though I'd rather it be really hard to get off than really easy!). I think I've got it down reasonably well now, but that could be a pain if you plan on swapping batteries back and forth.
  14. ice456789

ice456789 New Member

Otterbox did a nice job of matching the style of the phone back itself on the case.

By the way, "Otterbox" does not do this case justice. I think "Hippobox" is more appropriate.
  15. MN_Vikes93

MN_Vikes93 New Member

Zagg Invishield or nothing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  16. droijo

droijo New Member

Ive gotten over the rainbow pixelation so its not a big issue for me right now. After weeks of having the case for a while now, its a good investment.

Any other questions, just ask and I will let you know.
  17. Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad New Member

I invested in another otterbox. I had one on my x. The only reason I have it, is so I don't have to worry about giving it to my toddler from time to time. The case is a lot more difficult to get on and off than my other one. I think they did a great job with the design, and it is a lot less bulky than my x and otter box combo, so I guess it is all perspective. Luckily my wife got an Ithing and it will be hers potentially falling from a grocery cart!

18. Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad New Member

so after using the case daily after my last post, instead of only when the little one had it, I wanted to update.
    I like the case as a daily driver. I don't think it adds too much bulk to the phone, goes in and out if my pocket pretty well , and I feel better with not having a screen protector on the phone yet.
    Two observations. The way I hold the phone, the phone rests on my pinky and I type or do whatever with my thumb, if that makes sense. The bottom plastic area rubs on my pinky if I am doing stuff with the phone too long. Also, Im finding the menu or settings button in the bottom right hand corner hard to press in many situations. It won't register unless you hit it in just the right place. It is because they didn't center all of the buttons, and crammed the menu button on the far right, so I wanted people to be aware that this is more than just every once in a while thing, and could get quite annoying to some people.

19. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

I use this case on my phone to sometimes pending on my mood, its a great case. Id suggest popping out the screen cover as that seemed like a side thought in the design. First when i played with it without anything you could tell it really degrades look of the screen and the touch ability is hindered (i had to hit home many times to get it to read) so I applied it with the alcohol spray and soap stuff that came with an old invisishield case and it looks fine after i used the credit card thing to squeegy it. I let it sit with just the screen cover and top for a good half a day and forgot about it. I then put it on its face and plopped on the bottom and put skin on. It look great at first, but after some use it real i could tell that the corners would lifting up the cover and making it lose that close connection. i think its because the nexus has a slight curve and the screen cover is flat. in the end of a grand theft auto session i was left with a screen cover that was half sealed on screen and half off. that half off just is unbearable. I popped it out put on a skinomi screen cover before hand, and thats all she wrote. So my advice would be to use some other screen cover and your phone would still be completely protected. On a side note though, im overly cautious with my new phone, and popping out the screen cover left the front case with a ridge because it was formed to go around that screen cover. taking the screen cover away basically makes that area instead of the flush end it turns into a sharp ridge that will press into the screen. While i love the screen cover i have i dont trust it that much so i took my pocket knife and cut out those ridges and took an acrylic file i had to sad it smooth. A nail file can be used instead. the smooth/shine side of it might not work but it doesnt have to be perfect....you just dont need a ridge that pops out 3mm going into the display. i glued in some soft cloth (cut thin piece of rag) bumpers so none of the plastic even touched my holy nexus. i realize that not all of the comman people are going to do this but i thought id share it so that people who care about the front face will know. i give this case an 8/10. its not cheap by any means, even the screen cover is nice when its on the phone right but they needed to make it with the bend so it would stay on. slight oversight i guess.
  20. droijo

droijo New Member

Could a lot of the home/back problem issues you guys are having not registering due to the problem I noticed with multi-touch about playing multi-touch games, etc.?

I too have this issue but disregarded it because of that issue being noted by many other people. Now my initial review about some strokes not registering is in other parts of the screen.
Search tags for this page
broken otterbox photos
galaxy nexus otterbox

galaxy nexus otterbox defender

how to get rid of rainbow effect on otterbox
otterbox defender rainbow

otterbox defender rainbow effect

otterbox defender screen protector rainbow
otterbox galaxy s4 screen rainbow

otterbox rainbow effect

otterbox samsung galaxy wonder
rainbow effect otterbox