Otterbox Defender for Razr

RMan32

Reaction score
I work for Corning, and has anyone who bought this phone ever heard of "Gorilla Glass". You should ask a sales rep when purchacing the phone specifically and they should inform you about the product. There is absolutley NO REASON to buy any type of screen protection for the latest razr phones. Gorilla glass is a ceramic based substrate that prevents scratches, unless you use perhaps a sapphire or diamond, or some sort of carbon based mineral to scratch it. In other words display glass that got scratched from normal use is in the past. That being said the display glass is NOT indestructable, if it is shocked and or fractured it will shatter as easy as older glass. It is an awesome product used in many devices particulary cell phones. The reason is that it is more durable and doesnt have to be as thick as old glass making it thinner and lighter, allows for better light transmission hence the brighter displays, and has better abration properties. It can also be bent or curved, and holds up to extreme temperatures far better than normal display glass. The next time you go to best buy ask them about Gorilla glass in phones and televisions, there are a vast number of devices that use this glass, and even a Wii controller fired at it wont damage the display! I love my new Razr its light and tough. Havent figured out how that one guy keeps breaking his. A case is good if your planning on abusing the phone, but if your an office guy who doesnt take his phone on a camping trip then no need to worry about it. The droid is a tough phone in all respects. The case gets dusty, yes, but the dust is out of the places that would be bad, such as in between the display glass and AMOLED panel. as well as the camera lens. nothing worse then getting dust in the display and lens. Cheers!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Don't mean to argue, but my wife's RAZR screen had a few fine scratches before I added the ZAGG screen protector to it. I also have an OG Droid and a D2 and both have some fine scratches and one or two more noticeable scratches.

Gorilla Glass is "scratch resistant", but not scratch proof. It takes far less rare minerals than diamonds or sapphires to scratch it.

The dirt in the bottom of your pockets can easily harbor a few small grains of a common abrasive hard enough to scratch it, and once on your finger tip it acts like sand paper. If you work in the garden, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly under running water before swyping your finger across the screen.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1166427

"As for scratching Gorilla Glass, it's very easy to do as long as the material you scratch with is harder than the glass. Gorilla Glass has a hardness level of 7 (Mohs scale) but your average beach is full of corundum crystals, which have a hardness level of 9...

Corundum:

Because of corundum's hardness (pure corundum is defined to have 9.0 Mohs), it can scratch almost every other mineral.

It commonly occurs as a detrital mineral in stream and beach sands because of its hardness and resistance to weathering.

Edit:

A steel knife would typically have a hardness of 5.5 Mohs so will not scratch Gorilla Glass. Neither will plain window/bottle glass (also 5.5 Mohs), keys (maybe 4-5 Mohs) or jeans rivets (probably under 5.5 Mohs). But watch out for hardened tools (drillbits, files, pro screwdrivers etc) as these are easily harder than Gorilla Glass (7-8 Mohs) - and don't forget sanding paper and other abrasives which often contain corundum or other even harder minerals (tungsten carbide for example)."

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Caesars

Reaction score
Dropping the maxx w/o a case is like doing a high dive for the first time, we have no idea if it will shatter into a million pieces or make a perfect landing lol. I probably don't need my defender, however I'm not risking the 50/50 shot of my phone landing on the corner and shattering the first time I drop it.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
? Not one of my Droid series phones has ever had a scratch or ding...Simply because I keep them in my holster combo belt clip. Still thin with kick stand and not ugly as sin. The cases out today are godly but if you are a clutz by all means get an otter ugly.. If you are one of the followers that thinks its cool to put a 600+ dollar device to show you have a phone in your pocket waiting to be sat on so you can give reviews for poor gorilla glass then yes get an otter ugly...Peace!

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

RMan32

Reaction score
This reply is back to FoxCat. You have a valid argument regarding the product, but as I clearly stated, under normal use gorilla glass is far more superior to standard display cover glass. If I were to stick my phone for instance in a rock pile, any type of cover glass will get abrazed. You mentioned playing with your phone as silly as this sounds at the beach, I prefer to think that under normal usage this situation does not apply. The mere fact that using ceramic substates that replace typical fused silica or pyrex SiO2 imbedded cover glass materials are inferior. I have an old Env Touch that clearly shows that under normal usage for 2 years scratches are abundant. However being that my new razr is placed in variable unsuitable situations there are and I would like to think for many months to go no scratches are apparent. I would also like to say that I have used several "protective" plastic covers in the past to minimize scratching only to discover that when one tries to remove this film when it becomes necessary it leaves residual adhesive that is difficult to remove, thus making subtle scratches a welcome occurence. Gorilla glass is also the reason that our new phones are much thinner, if a standard display cover glass were used, that XT912 would prolly be about 1mm thicker. Try removing a protective layer after about a year and see how difficult it will be to remove the residual adhesive from such a large surface before replacing it. I am only stating the reason we use ceramics for display technology now. I am not disrespecting your argument, in some sence I agree, but if this phone used standard cover glass, your new phone would be abrazed almost immediatley without any protection. Please accept my humble critisism as I respect yours. Love this Phone! Cheers!

born2golf

Reaction score
I'm confused by the previous post. Are you suggesting that using you phone at the beach is not considered usual behavior? I would strongly disagree. And I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that intentionally leaves their phone at home when they go to the beach. Perhaps you live in a landlocked region, but I live on the east coast about 5 minutes from the beach and we are probably on the sand more than half the week from May to September. That would be a long time for me to be without a phone.

Also, after buying a defender for my iPad, I decided that I did not want to struggle with the silicon when putting the phone in/out of my pocket. So I opted for the otterbox commuter for my razr max, and I love it. The hard plastic shell slides into my pocket very easily and I find the general size much easier to hold than the bare phone. There are only small sections of exposed silicon so it does not collect much lint either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
My Razr Maxx screen has a few light scratches. I have no idea why as I don't own any diamonds or sapphires and I haven't taken it to the beach. I do keep it in my pocket. After I noticed the scratches I purchased screen protector. My phone won't be without them anymore.

Reaction score
I ordered an Otterbox Defender and put it on the other day and I have to say this is the best case ever created. The rubber casing under the hard plastic case fits together so well on the Razr most people cannot tell it has a case on it. Highly recommend the Otterbox Defender case, plus now my phone is virtually indestructible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I have the same case. A touch bulkier than I like, but my phone is as safe as possible. In my line of work, it's a must!

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I buy screen protectors for every phone I've ever had, mainly because scratches and nicks on the screen would irritate me to pieces. I like having that nice smooth screen to slide across.
I've only once dropped a phone (my precious Droid X!) so that it fell on it's screen. the screen protector was nicked, but the screen itself was safe.
I don't care as much about cases. I have a gel case that I sometimes use, but the Otterboxes seem too bulky for my taste. I can appreciate that they offer so much protection, but for the prices I saw in the Verizon store, they could be slimmer and prettier, seems to me. :biggrin: