otterbox comuter case for droid drops

808GLEE

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. I just got my OtterBox case today. Did a quick review on YouTube. Video is still processing now, but here is the link. Overall a pretty good case. [video=youtube;C6ZM3m6JIrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZM3m6JIrs"]YouTube - OtterBox Commuter Series for Motorola Droid Review[/video]. I hope it is ok for everyone, 1st review done.

jeebuss1

Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing the feel of the outside of the case. Does it have a rubber feel? satin? Would it slide in and out of a pocket well? Lint magnet? Thanks for the review.

orangepeel

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. I just got my OtterBox case today. Did a quick review on YouTube. Video is still processing now, but here is the link. Overall a pretty good case. YouTube - OtterBox Commuter Series for Motorola Droid Review. I hope it is ok for everyone, 1st review done.

I was wondering if it would work with the Seidio spring clip holster,and you answered that question for me.

Thanks for the review,and well done. :)

zero7404

Reaction score
808 ... thanks for the informative video ... it answered a lot of questions pictures don't.

one thing i like in my fones is heft, it looks like the commuter case adds meat to the form factor of the fone, i assume this because of the inner and outer jackets on the main body. can you confirm it is thicker than the seidio case ?

also, the bezel that goes on the screen, it may not be a bad thing that it's flimsier, because it is probably chosen to be softer for impact resistance.

i wondered about the ports and whether they were covered or not, since they are, that's a good thing for me, it means the main body won't accumulate much dust & lint since the silicon seals most of that out.

since i have not gone the route of car mount yet, maybe buying this case wouldn't be a bad idea.
i always was a fan of silicon/hardshell cases for my fones, seems otterbox did it right with this one ...

zero7404

Reaction score
techbargains coupon expired ... dam ...

EDIT:
found it on ebay from reputable seller for $ 30 out the door ...
will look 4 it in the mail ... take some pics to compare with seidio innocase. if i like it that much, i'll prolly sell my innocase

orangepeel

Reaction score
also, the bezel that goes on the screen, it may not be a bad thing that it's flimsier, because it is probably chosen to be softer for impact resistance.

As long as it's not too flimsy. I bought the Body Glove and one side of the top case doesn't have any clips,and was really flimsy...so much so that it was bending down and rubbing the paint off the bezel that goes around the screen. I'm not really placing the blame on Body Glove as much as myself. Although I work in a clean climate controlled environment,I do work in tight areas pretty often and I knew better.

The Otterbox should be thicker than the Seidio because it won't fit in the Seidio case. 808glee will be able to confirm this for sure.

I'm a HUGH Otterbox fan,but not having a case,and most of all not being a Defender series (or even the impact series) is a deal breaker for me.Still, some people will love the Commuter Series,and if it's like all the other OB's I've owned it will be top notch.

P.S. A bit off topic I know,but the Seidio case will fit in a plastic OEM Motorola Droid A855 Case Clip/Holster Combo for Verizon. I only mention this if you don't like the spring/clip case that Seidio offers.

808GLEE

Reaction score
The outside of the case has a smooth feel. Easy into the pocket, and easy out. The Seidio case has a "tacky" feel to it, which made it a bit hard to get into your pants pocket. That is why I purchased the holster clip as well. The front "lip" of the back part of the case has a "rubber" feel, which may cause lint to stick to it. The "plugs" for all the ports, also have the same ruberized feel. This may cause it to be a lint or dust magnet, but I can't tell for sure. I have had the case for only a day. As for heft of the case, it may add the same weight as the Sedio. Thatsa how it feels. Although this may sound weird, I honestly think that this Otterbox case feels a slight bit lighter than the Seidio Innocase. Can anyone confirm this? I would alos like to know what is the purpose of that hole in the back of the case. I have no idea what that is for? Does anyone know? Thanks for all the positve support guys. Did any see my unboxing of the Case Mate for the Droid?

JimmyD

Reaction score
808GLEE....

Thanks for posting that detailed video! My interest in this case is all about the port covers and your vid was great at illustrating the functionality.

I'm not sure what that hole in the back plate is either?! I currently have a VERIZON case and it does NOT have this hole!

Can anyone comment on what the purpose of the hole in the Seidio and OtterBox case back plate is for?

zero7404

Reaction score
i decided to buy because i've dropped my fone a few times. although the seidio case hasn't popped off when it fell, i want the rubber protection as a backup
... the added protection of soft rubber makes me feel better. additionally, the seidio case has been leaving very light marks on the bottom of the fone where the microphone is, i don't really appreciate that because i strive hard to put as little visible wear as possible on my fones, i know i'll be getting a new one in a year or 2 ... a case that lends itself to damaging the fone in any way does not sit well with me.

the 'tackiness' with seidio's case is something i like. i prefer more of it, because in the car, a completely smooth and slippery case like the otterbox can slide around on a seat or plastic surfaces.

even though the case may not be 'hefty', i do like adding thickness to the droid to give it some substance ... i always hated moto's ultra-thin initiative ... they make their devices thin at the sacrifice of rigidity and strength, hence the reason why we are in this thread i guess ....

808GLEE

Reaction score
Did an update video. Just wanted to share. [video=youtube;yHp7Go6HCpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHp7Go6HCpc]YouTube - Seidio Innocase for Motorola Droid and Update pt 2[/video]

tabraha

Reaction score
Thanks for the video reviews. Much more information than Otter was able to come up with. I'll be waiting to see when Otter comes up with a compatible belt clip or when someone can figure out which pouches are a good match for this.

Srgius

Reaction score
Review was great only one question will the Otterbox fit in the holster made by
Verizon Original OEM Belt Clip Shell / Holster

MOTA855HOC
I want the otterbox but with a holster
Just spoke to otterbox and all they say is its not a defender series
Help

toastedoats

Reaction score
anyone know how this compares to the body glove in girth? I like my bodyglove but it is just a bit too think for my liking