OtterBox Commuter top piece broke for the 3rd time...

colossus0706

Reaction score
I got my Droid in May and ordered an OtterBox commuter shortly afterwards. My first top piece broke in the upper right hand corner after about a month. They shipped out a full new case. The second piece broke in the same spot after two weeks. They sent out a 3rd entirely new case.

It just broke after 3 days in the EXACT same spot... upper right hand corner. The bottom piece with the rubber feel well built but this plastic top piece continues to break. Should I just ask for a refund at this point and get a Seido or something else? What would you do in this situation?

OP
C

colossus0706

Reaction score
Just a follow up... I spoke with Otterbox and they have a high incident rate the last few months. The top pieces of the case are all breaking in the same spot.

They believe the Droids produced in the last few months have a slight physical difference from those originally produced. They are reviewing what is causing this break and will consider creating a new piece to resolve the issue.

If I were Otterbox, I probably wouldn't waste my time since the original Droid is nearing the end of it's product life cycle which is unfortunate for those of us with newer Droids that really want an Otterbox.

Does anyone out there have a newer Droid (since May?) that uses the Seidio case or something similar to the Otterbox that doesn't break?

gmoore4th

Reaction score
Just a follow up... I spoke with Otterbox and they have a high incident rate the last few months. The top pieces of the case are all breaking in the same spot.

They believe the Droids produced in the last few months have a slight physical difference from those originally produced. They are reviewing what is causing this break and will consider creating a new piece to resolve the issue.

If I were Otterbox, I probably wouldn't waste my time since the original Droid is nearing the end of it's product life cycle which is unfortunate for those of us with newer Droids that really want an Otterbox.

Does anyone out there have a newer Droid (since May?) that uses the Seidio case or something similar to the Otterbox that doesn't break?

I just received a replacement for my original Droid. My original one, bough in November, was acting buggy and doing strange things on its own with the touch screen.

Anyways, I am shopping for a cover right now and I am considering Otter Box. Let me know what you find out, because I need to buy a case. Thanks for your thread.

orangepeel

Reaction score

I've had good luck with mine and it's taken several drops...can't say the same for my Seidio innocase case.

I don't doubt what your saying though,these clips on the top cases are thin because they have to fit between the screen.If they make them thicker they will be hard to slide open,and if they make them thinner they snap off.

gmoore4th

Reaction score

I've had good luck with mine and it's taken several drops...can't say the same for my Seidio innocase case.

I don't doubt what your saying though,these clips on the top cases are thin because they have to fit between the screen.If they make them thicker they will be hard to slide open,and if they make them thinner they snap off.

Well we will certainly keep everyone informed about whether or not the Otter Box fixes this problem. Their product for the Motorola Droid does not seem to be fitting a lot of newer phones on the top cover. I will keep you posted.

krosenqu

Reaction score
That is strange. I have the commuter case and I haven't had one problem. This thing is built like a tank.

I can't imagine it would break... When you say "break," P picture shattered plastic. I could see it if the clips wore down but to actually "break" the case?

I fidget with mine every day, taking the case on and off in my pocket. Still stays on when its supposed to though.

Got any pics?

JimmyD

Reaction score
That is strange. I have the commuter case and I haven't had one problem. This thing is built like a tank.

I can't imagine it would break... When you say "break," P picture shattered plastic. I could see it if the clips wore down but to actually "break" the case?

I fidget with mine every day, taking the case on and off in my pocket. Still stays on when its supposed to though.

I have the same experience with my Otterbox Commuter case. In fact, the top screen piece of my Otterbox case is actually difficult to remove! It's snapped onto my Droid's screen quite securely! :)

mapricejr

Reaction score
I just now have gone through my third commuter case, otterbox says it just is too small, I love the case itself ( the back) ordered a generic case on a certain auction site just to get the screen piece, last generic I had before the otterbox never had a problem!

regb02

Reaction score
same prob..

My otter broke in a few day of purchase. I took it back to the retailer.. the Guy tried several cases and the top cover wouldn't fit... he was exhausted and just gave me a body glove case... I contacted otterbox and a Rep is sending a new case... the body glove is a great case.. only minus is no port or button covers.. love that feel but would rather da otter.

regb02

Reaction score
replacement. broke

Dez otterbox sucks... got a replacement and it broke in Da same spot . I'm not dealing. With otter again..

Cade01

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting my third case from them. it has broke in the corner and the tabs have broken off. I think the tabs need to be made out of something harder while the main frame of the case be made less brittle.

GAPACmedic

Reaction score
My second Otterbox case broke in the same spot, I guess I'll be sending them another email for a replacement.

Edi

Reaction score
My second one just broke this past week, both of them broke on the right top side of the case. Going to have to contact them to get a replacement.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
What's happeneing when it breaks? You dropping it or what? I just got a otter for mine and its a fight to get the top cover off. Bodyglove case is nice but remove it too many times and the bottom case tabs will break. Wish this otter had a belt clip with a kickstands. I miss that from the bodyglove.

Edi

Reaction score
Both times it broke doing nothing but sitting on the table. It just snapped.