Otterbox Commuter Series Case

fflan513

Reaction score
I purchased an Otterbox Commuter Series Case for my new Droid RAZR and it fits great, wonderful protection BUT I can not get the phone to fit on the Standard HD Dock properly while in the case. Do not buy this case if you want to put your phone on a dock, seems that taking the case off everyday will shorten it's life.

OP
F

fflan513

Reaction score
Will it fit in the car navigation dock?
I don't have a car navigation dock but I do know that it (the case) changes the form factor significantly enough that it most likely will not fit. I have packaged up my Otterbox case for return; I sure hate to do it because I do like the case but I prefer to be able to use the HD Dock. I'm sure many cases will be made for the RAZR shortly as it will be a popular device.

Mark_79

Reaction score
Will it fit in the car navigation dock?

I purchased the Otterbox Commuter case for one of my phones, and the Motorola car dock for it as well. The phone DOES fit in the nav dock, with one small caveat: there is an insert in the dock that you can unsnap to effectively make the dock 'larger'. Once you remove this insert, slide the charge plug over, you can snap in the Razr with it's Commuter case to the dock.

The car navigation dock will NOT work with the Defender series Otterbox case.

EDIT: I do not know whether or not either of these cases will work with the HD dock.

BhamItGeek

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mark...had planned on going to pick my nav dock up tomorrow...already have my phone and had just put the commuter case on... and had been wondering if it would work with the dock..I really like the little bit of protection that commuter case provides but did not want to give up the ability to stick it in the nav dock because I used the one for my OG Droid religiously.

joshuajjm

Reaction score
If you want to use the Otterbox Commuter, it just takes a quick modification to the case for it to fit into the HD Dock.
1. Unsnap plastic rest insert of dock so that it is ready for a phone with case
2. Set phone (in case) on dock and slide toward hdmi/usb plugs as far as it will go
3. Trace edge of hdmi/usb plug portion of dock onto commuter case
4. File edges of commuter case to the traced lines
5. The phone (in case) should then be able to slide onto hdmi/usb plugs of dock
6. For a better fit (and quicker regular placement into dock) you could also cut off the rubber port cover of the case.

hiimjered

Reaction score
I picked one of these up with my RAZR yesterday. My only complaint is the built-in plastic screen protector. The pattern in the plastic makes the screen look a little sparkly and odd (similar to the way that the screen looks when it gets a little moisture on it.

I'm going to get a set of Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protectors and remove the clear plastic from the case.

Other than that, I like the case. It is a little large, but will make me feel that the phone is a lot safer.