Otter Box Defender Case

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by lazybumswife, Aug 30, 2010.

1. lazybumswife

lazybumswife New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot wait till the Otter Box Defender comes out for the Droid X. We had one with our Iphones and loved the thing to pieces. The website says that the case is coming soon. I hope real soon! Right now my device is unprotected and I worry about it getting hurt.. :)

2. tracerprix

tracerprix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait either. The only thing that would hold me back is that if I cannot use the extended battery with it.

3. jsandersp

jsandersp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am also awaiting this case. It looks bullet-proof and I'm not that good at not dropping my phone, so...

Anywho, I found out a couple of things that may interest you and may even be true. In my quest to find out how long I might have to wait to see this case, I stumbled on a Facebook discussion where people could ask questions to an Otterbox rep of some sort. Apparently, the case will not fit over an extended battery and there are no plans to release a case that does. I obviously cannot lend any validity to such statements, but that's what was said by the rep.

Many people peppered the guy with release date questions to the point of threatening to buy another maker's case (as if that would speed things up). The rep gave no indication of a release date at all. However, I did find, through an Amazon search, that a company (ipad sim shop usa?) is selling the case with a release date of Sept. 30th. for the Defender and the 24th for the Commuter. Hmm... I wonder.

4. InfamousDX

InfamousDX New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I was in on that FB discussion regarding the ext battery. Seems they never have made that an option for other phones so we should not expect different.

5. lazybumswife

lazybumswife New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Well that's good to know but too long of a wait. I'm not concerned about it fitting with an extended battery. I only worry now about finding a car mount that will work with the cases. That's where I have read where cases interfere.

6. jchargu3

jchargu3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    judging by how thick the plastic was on the defender for my old storm 1, if you're worried about the extended battery fitment, theres nothing a little bit of sand paper or a demel cant fix ;)

the battery cover for the ex battery adds 1/2 a mm to a mm thickness to the phone, easy to scrape that off plastic

7. jsandersp

jsandersp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped waiting for Otterbox. Seidio is now shipping the Rugged for Droid X and I decided to go with it. I did a lot of research and decided the Seidio was the winner. I think the OB may be a more refined heavy-duty case but the Seidio has a few more checks in the pros column, IMO.

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OB has a lot of loyal fans... me being one of them. But they sure have lost a lot of revenue for dragging their heels....

9. jsandersp

jsandersp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought there might be more fans out there to try to convince me to wait in a different thread I started but, in the end, both cases seem to do an excellent job at what they are supposed to do and are different enough from each other to make the decision difficult for me. You are absolutely right about them dragging their heels. I am a perfect example of why they lost a potential customer. I have never owned either product and was ripe to become a fan. I checked out the OB Defender for iphone 4 at my local BestBuy and was totally impressed. I was literally checking their website multiple times a day. Then Seidio released the Rugged. To be perfectly honest, there are factors about the Seidio I think I like better, but really, the availability of it was probably the only reason I even considered it in the first place.

10. bsc504

bsc504 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry about the extended battery, If you were gonna buy one, just buy a regular battery... you were gonna have two batteries anyway and now you can still use the otter box and just swap batteries if your first one gets low and you cant charge it.

11. kendubya

kendubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ram Mounting Systems makes an adjustable dock that may fit the Defender. It is highly configurable...fixed, suction or cupholder mounts are available and its fit is adjustable. I bought one for my omnia with a defender case; worked perfect. I'm still using it with my x and there seems to be plenty of adjustment room to accommodate an even larger case, i.e. an x with a defender case.

12. phartwig

phartwig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    regarding the extended battery and otterbox. It may still work if you leave the door off...Some have had luck using the stock door so who knows. As sealed as the ob is you may be able to get away with it...

13. tedmeister

tedmeister Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I kinda like the Seidio Rugged case and holster. But it says explicitly that it is not compatible with the extended battery :icon_evil: Some of the above discussions indicate that it might be possible to use the Otterbox with the extended battery though.

Does anyone have the extended battery and either of these cases, and can weigh in on this from the point of actually having them in-hand?

14. phartwig

phartwig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the extended battery but no case yet. Waiting for the oterbox.

15. tedmeister

tedmeister Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered an extended battery (BH6X). Don't have either case yet. The Seidio has what looks like a nice holster arrangement. Does the Otterbox have a holster configuration?

Search tags for this page

droid x cases in syracuse ny