Otter box case

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by ncyrider16, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ncyrider16

ncyrider16 New Member

I have the original droid case that i got from the verizon store, but im not happy with it because it is cheap and lets dirt get in between the phone and case. Im looking for a better case, and the one that looks the best to me is the otter box. The only thing is it looks bulkier than all the other cases. Can anyone tell me about this case and if its too bulky?
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

dude i have the seidio case and its probably the best out there. i had the body glove but the top piece kept popping off and that was bulky

so i got the seidio one (and the holster that fits the case) and i dont think i will ever get another case. 3 months and still lookin good.
  3. mrgoochio

mrgoochio New Member

from what i understand, otterbox is in between the seidio (thinnest) and bodyglove (thickest) in terms of thickness out of these three. i should be receiving my otterbox case within the next few days!
  4. JonnyFunFun

JonnyFunFun New Member

I just got my OtterBox yesterday. It's a great case. It fits on perfectly. My only two complaints are that the screen protector that came with it is junk - the "peel this sticker off after installation" sticker is held on by some sort of Chernobyl/dark matter adhesive. You cannot peel that sticker off without damaging the scree protector for the life of you.

The other complaint about it (minor) is that the phone does not fit in the multimedia station with it on - but that's no big surprise. Luckily it's super easy to take off, so it's not a big deal.

Other than that - I love the case - highly recommend it.
  5. mrgoochio

mrgoochio New Member

just got my otterbox case yesterday as well. i had trouble putting the screen protector on perfectly so there are some minor issues there, but i think its mostly my fault. i got a call mid-application and my phone started vibrating lol. case is basically what i expected, pretty solid fit and finish. got my first smartphone (droid) tuesday and slapped my first phone case (otterbox) on thursday :D
  6. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Actually that sticker is on there to help you remove the upper protective layer which covers the the entire screen. Just like the lower layer you remove to apply the protector.

I've had the Verizon, Seidio and Otter Box. By far, I like the Otter Box the best. Just don't buy it from Otter Box. It is far cheaper at other retailers. Just Google "Otter Box Droid".
  7. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm somewhat confused on how the Otter Box case is actually put together. You guys all speak of a screen protector - is that the gizzmo that covers the screen and prevents fingerprints and scratches? What if you don't LIKE those kind of things; you don't have to install it - right? I mean, it's an additional item to go with the cover for the bulk of the body and the piece that fits over the top of the Droid, right?

Sorry to sound so confused on this point. :)

-Mike
  8. AShade

AShade New Member

I had my Droid since last Nov. and had a Body Glove on it, a little bulky, the front was flimsy when sliding the keyboard open and very hard to remove the back if you need to access the battery or to just give it a good cleaning. Last week one of the tabs from the front piece broke off so after reading around I chose the Otter Box (ordered it Sat. and expect it any day. I read that the Otter Box is less bulky than the BG but not by much, but it seems that way, a little bigger than the Seidio, but some said the Seidio felt flimsy and the top would scrape when sliding the keyboard out.
  9. Snapple

Snapple New Member

I just got my Droid today, I put the Otter Box on as soon as I took my Droid out of the box. It has already survived 2 falls with it. The first, it slid off my lap and fell between the car seat and console.Second, was at about 3 feet to floor. I let my mom look at it and she dropped it.

The screen protector is optional. Its one of those peel and stick things. You can use the Otter Box with out it. The Otter Box just snaps around the phone.
  10. Phixyrsion

Phixyrsion New Member

Bought an Otter Box myself. So far I am pleased. Just a lil slick to the touch, and it has no belt clip/holster/contraption. Other than those two, this is a fabulous case.

Hard to find a holster without magnets.
  11. AShade

AShade New Member

Well my Otter Box arrived on Wednesday and so far I'm happy with it. It is slimmer than the Body Glove. It installs easier and is very simple to remove. It covers the power button, charge port, volume button and earphone jack. The covers are nice and the one that covers the power and volume buttons actually make them more user friendly, on the Body Glove, you had to precisely slide you finger down the case to operate it. It does add extra effort to charging, but protects the port from dust. It is more slippery than the Body Glove which I'm getting used to with one-handed operation but it does make it easier to put in and take out of my pocket.

Bottom line is that I like it better than the Body Glove because besides being a little slimmer, it's overall more user friendly.
  12. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Thanks for the review after going through my second body glove I have been looking for another case. Vzw tried to sell me a case at their store that "was warranty and better" (same bs they gave me with the body glove that when I took back warranty no longer covers) The case they had cover the speakers and was a pain to get off. I saw a youtube on the bodyglove so I ordered one on amazon.
  13. soops

soops New Member

Otterbox Case

To OP: I've had my otterbox case for 3+mo. and it worked very well. Ease of opening was one of the things sold me to it and also imo the case does not add noticeable size to the overall phone. Only 1 complaint though: I could careless of the huge "otterbox" text on the back. For a couple more $ I would pay for a cleaner look.
  14. JbO0613

JbO0613 New Member

otter box... ehh okey

I was ecstatic when the OB came out, I originally got the Body Glove because i am terrible on dropping and damaging phones. The body glove was way to bulky and the phone did not slide very well because the case was so bulky. So i traded it in the day after i got it for the verizon OEM case... works well i guess but the Otter Box was the one i kept my eye out for... I received it the day after it came out and was not very satisfied with the quality... The rubber inside case is already coming apart from the outside hard case and case allows dirt and stuff to get in between the case and phone. The coverings for the ports are nice but do tend to get annoying at times. I have not tried the Seidio case but i am sure it is better. I just havent spent the money on yet another case and just sticking with the otter box.. All in all i was say try the seidio before getting the otterbox...
  15. sporket

sporket New Member

I've both and love both. If your need a belt clip---Seidio. If you find you'd rather pocket carry. then the Otter is top's there.
  16. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

just got my otterbox in the mail. I like the way it feels, not as bulky as the bodyglove. It feels like it will last longer and its easy to remove. I like the covers for all the buttons and ports. The only complaint is how slick the case feels; it feels like it will fall out of my hand.

I have had 3 cases so far. 2 bodygloves and now a otterbox. The bodyglove gets a 3/10 in my book. They cost 25 bucks and last about 3 months (especially if you are rooted and love flashing roms, its a pain to do a battery pull). The otter box is bulky and is not durable. The body glove does its job, but its not worth 25 bucks.
    Otterbox have a good reputation; so far I like it but we will see if it lasts longer then the body glove. So far I give it a 7/10 because of the covers, how easy it is to remove, and the over all look. But I am docking 3 points for the feel as far as being to slick.
  17. Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

I have had my Otterbox for over a month now - it replaced a Seidio that I purchased in March when I picked up my Droid.

The Seidio did not survive a fall - the tabs inside broke off. I liked the texture and size of it a lot - the negative was after a couple of weeks of taking off the back cover - it didn't fit as snug. I had planned to pick up the appropriate dock, just waited too long I guess.

The Otterbox is great because no matter how many times I take the back cover off for docks or battery changes, it still is a snug fit. Never had a problem putting on the screen protector. Overall, glad I decided on the Otterbox (have used their products for travel humidors - also great.)
  18. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

I gotta say, these reviews and comparisons - Otter Box, Body Glove and Seidio - have been interesting and *very* informative. I started out with Body Glove, in early January and by mid-May, that case was falling apart. Probably because of the numerous battery pulls that went with the rooting process for me. I moved to Seidio, and am now pretty sure I'll pick up an Otter Box - and I thank ALL posters for giving me insight into all three brands that I didn't have before.

Thanks Guys! :)

-Mike
  19. AShade

AShade New Member

Just replaced my Droid 1 with the Bionic. The Otterbox that I had on the D1 was great. I got the Otterbox Commuter for my Bionic and like it once it's on, but not nearly as easy to take on and off. It's 2 piece, on rubbery piece that goes on first and the hard plastic shell that goes over it. The rubbery part slips on easily enough, but the hard plastic is a bear to put on precisely. I had to put it on a couple of times before I got the fit precisely. The usual Otterbox covers are there for the charging & HDMI ports, on/off, earphone/speaker and volume. The problem is the the plastic shell has cut outs for the charging/HDMI ports, on/off and earphone/speaker ports that completely surrounds them, the volume cut out is open open on the front and doesn't present as big a problem. I had to hold the rubber in place, otherwise it would move as the plastic shell is being put in over it. Once on correctly, everything is great. I haven't taken it off since, but do believe that on and off will be easier now that I know what to do. Almost forgot to add, the included screen protector, is just a rectangle, it doesn't cover the entire screen, if put it to the top, which seems the most logical place, the bottom menu bar won't be covered, worthless imo. Your finger will feel the transition evertime you go across it and I'm afraid it will prematurely peel back at there point. I went right out and got the invisible shield.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
Search tags for this page
donnt buy onotter box
droid dna otterbox louisville ky
how to install phone droid in otter box
how to move icons on my verizon otter box phone
how to remove dirt from otterbox phone case
how to remove otterbox on android phone

i need to know how to put the verizon otter box

is the otter phone case bulkier than others?
is the rubbery part on the outter box case bend up from time
otter box feom vzw, falling apart
otterbox remove screen protector sticker

otterbox sticker stuck to screen protector