OTA vs Manual Update - Browser Issue?

dajakal

Reaction score
Ha this is the first place I checked because my browser scrolling is sloooooooow now. Anyone using dolphin browser? I tried it when it first came out but uninstalled it, maybe we should see if that's laggy too.

kbrede

Reaction score
I don't seem to have that issue. I did the manual install. But I don't do that much surfing. Anyone have a link to a site that gives them this particular problem? I'd like to test. Or maybe I should remain blissfully ignorant. :)
Kent

pilot25

Reaction score
Got the ota update lastnight. It's not a website it's any long list that you would scroll. Go to market and downloads if you have a lot of app installed or any other list.

Another fail for Moto and Google.

Nasxen

Reaction score
Manual Update

(Manual Update here). It appears i'm getting the lag on pages which aren't designed specifically for mobile devices. I can hit all other m.com pages without lag. EG: m.digg.com, m.facebook.com... As well as all the google pages.

backlash

Reaction score
Got the ota update lastnight. It's not a website it's any long list that you would scroll. Go to market and downloads if you have a lot of app installed or any other list.

Another fail for Moto and Google.
Is it a lag of like less than 1/2 a second, then continues to scroll? I think this may be happening to me.

People are making it sound like it's the end of the world.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Okay... I think it is time to explain a little of what is going on here cause, apparently, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions I am seeing in the posts here.

One, A person mentioned browser being the cause. Well, this would be true if we are comparing the Browser on, say the Blackberry, versus the one on the iPhone and Droid.

Thing to note, the Blackberry design has a bad browser in general, with the possibility of how it accesses the network for information. The browser, however, is not necessarily the issue for the lag on the Droid. BTW, the AT&T commercial was more poking at the speed of the network versus the browser. So to correct a person who might be making fun of the droid's browser, the response is, "That's because AT&T boasts having the faster network." (I know, it is sort of a juvenile response, but then so was the original punch.)

Second, Someone also mentioned that the website might not be designed for mobiles. This would attribute part of the issue as well, given non-mobile designed websites are expecting a normal screen, a normal screen would be about 800x640 minimum, but most will shoot up to 1024x768 or larger. What slows down mobile browsers is how much of that webpage it is going to 'rejustify' to the screen it is trying to fit. If you look at the Droid's screen and the iPhone's, you are still talking a screen that is smaller than your traditional computer, even with a denser pixel ratio than most monitors.

The mobile browser will have to calculate how to 'reduce' an image to fit in the ratioed screen so you can see something without completely losing quality of the image, and when you zoom in, it has to recalculate and redo the image based on what it knows.

The one thing I will also point out, is part of the 'network speed' issue comes into play only a little. Depending on the SIZE of the media the phone is downloading, will determine how fast you get a webpage. The thing that AT&T fails to address is that Websites cannot afford to put LARGE media content on their websites because they are setup to cater to the lowest common denominator as far as bandwidth is concerned, this being people still using Modems. Which means, they have to make their website not have large media downloads to give people a chance to get onto their website with the minimal amount of wait, or else lose business due to abandoning waiting for the site to come up.

What slows down websites loading up is also the amount of pure items a website has to load. Most web browsers, to my understanding, processes a Webpage sequentially... Meaning, it gets the Webpage text, then starts loading the files within that webpage text definition by hitting those sites defined for the media content. In some cases, some sites will 'stumble' and hold a page in processing while other media is still trying to get gathered. A browser will only make a limited number of connections to pull up information.

Lastly - OTA versus Manual. As mentioned by the moderator and a few others. The Update is pretty much the same file. The fact that it is hit and miss for people for both Manual and OTA points to some things people are not understanding in general of the situation.

As I pointed above, the browser is not necessarily the issue, given the evidence that both Manual and OTA updated users are reporting conflicting results, this leads to two possible issues: Network and Browsing habits.

Network - You happen to be in a 'busy' area, which means Network Bandwidth is lower at this time, therefore, it is affecting information download for webpages.

Browsing Habits - Well, I should refer more to the websites you are trying to browse. Non-mobile optimized websites will not be 'lag free' because you are encountering the very thing that hits your mobile's weak point, processing power. You are spending more processing cycles for your mobile to re-size the webpage to fit your mobile or to view it because there is much more content for it to work down and fit versus a Mobile version of the webpage. With more content, as mentioned above, the more it has to redo to fit the screen within reason. All mobile browsers will have this issue, especially with the physical memory limitations that phones will have over computers.

Appleanche

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not at all picky but I'm not noticing a difference in scrolling?

I don't have auto fit pages on and I have default zoom far.. if that matters.

Metunetr

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not at all picky but I'm not noticing a difference in scrolling?

I don't have auto fit pages on and I have default zoom far.. if that matters.
Unchecking auto-fit worked for me made page significantly less laggy when scrolling.:icon_ banana:

hyperlite456

Reaction score
Its not a huge difference, but I can definitely tell that scrolling isn't as smooth. Hopefully google solves this.