OTA Updating after Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by clucernoni, Jan 28, 2010.

1. clucernoni

clucernoni Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I apologize if this is answered somewhere else, I have read most of the threads here and gained a good bit of knowledge about rooting and I am considering it currently.

My one question is this: How do the OTA updates work after you have rooted? I assume they will be pushed out like normal, but does it undo your ROM when it updates? Does it cause complications and require work to get it back to where you were before the update?

I assume that you would have to manually update to a new ROM (say if a 2.2 comes out, then someone releases a ROM, you would have to manually update yourself to that ROM) but I am a bit nervous about how this will effect all of the automatic software updates we get from Verizon. I would have no problem manually updating to the Verizon pushed 2.2 in that case and just keeping myself rooted.

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to answer my questions.

2. ddarvish

ddarvish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a problem and you could possibly brick your phone or at minimum loose root if you use the vzw ota updates. there are steps somwhere to get rid of a file that is named something like otacertif (not really the name but cant remember exactly). you need to rename or delete that files so your phone does not pester you with the OTA updates. then just wait till a rooted version of the update is available in a rom or something and manually update.

3. ddarvish

ddarvish Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. clucernoni

clucernoni Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks for the help!

Search tags for this page

android ota how do the ota