OTA Updates Possible Before The 11th?

zegolf

Reaction score
Yeah there is really NO reason to wait instead of doing it manually besides laziness or if you really have no interest in the update or want to have your 2.0 for as long as possible.

The manual update comes straight from googles site. There is no hacking or rooting involved. You are just skipping the "wait for verizon to send it to me" step.

Pretty outrageous remark. I certainly do want the update but I'm not interested in doing it manually. I did enough of that stuff with the Storm, I can just be patient and wait. That's hardly being lazy.;)

Agreed.

I also don't want to risk bricking my phone. At least if the OTA bricks it, it's VZW's fault, and they're culpable. If I butcher the phone, Big Red could probably find some way to place the blame on me. I can wait 3 days, and I'm not lazy!

windstrings

Reaction score
gardobus, there IS a reason to wait other than the reasons you stated. It may be stupid, but I just want to see what the OTA being rolled out to my phone. I know, it is pointless, but I like how the update is being pushed to us instead of having to go in to a store or manually download it.

While it would be fun to see it go through its process.. I bet its the same as when you do it manually except without the prompt to install or not and you don't have to do anything but watch it.

I like to change the oil in my car... even so, Its nice to know I know how to do it now.. I wrote down the instructions and have them saved as it may be a while before I get another opportunity... Jan? LOL!

On the other hand.. its nice to finally have a phone that can do Over the air updates!

windstrings

Reaction score
I also don't want to risk bricking my phone. At least if the OTA bricks it, it's VZW's fault, and they're culpable. If I butcher the phone, Big Red could probably find some way to place the blame on me. I can wait 3 days, and I'm not lazy!

Theres not an option to brick your phone during the update process :)

The worst that could happen is you could be not paying attention and set your phone back to factory defaults and cause some extra work. Regardless none of your personal info, pics etc would get hurt anyway......

When you scroll down one notch to where its says to install update.zip from your SD card... just put your reading glasses on :icon_eek: and make sure your really on what you think your on and hit the enter key!... bam... your off!

windstrings

Reaction score
Doing this the first time is like jumping off a high rock into the water... its scary, but once you've done it.. your glad you did and almost wish you could do it again to get the rush!

Unless your a fat kid!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doing this the first time is like jumping off a high rock into the water... its scary, but once you've done it.. your glad you did and almost wish you could do it again to get the rush!

Unless your a fat kid!
hey now, fat kids like jumping off rocks into water also, we make nice big splashes when we do cannon balls :D

btw maybe you aren't all lazy LOL I guess its just that I'm not that patient, especially when the manual process is so painless.

misaac

Reaction score

The worst that could happen is you could be not paying attention and set your phone back to factory defaults and cause some extra work. Regardless none of your personal info, pics etc would get hurt anyway......

When you scroll down one notch to where its says to install update.zip from your SD card... just put your reading glasses on :icon_eek: and make sure your really on what you think your on and hit the enter key!... bam... your off!

That may not be accurate. There has been one person stating they may have bricked their phone. New2u starting pm'ing that person to see if he could help. Not sure of the outcome.

Silver Member
Reaction score

That may not be accurate. There has been one person stating they may have bricked their phone. New2u starting pm'ing that person to see if he could help. Not sure of the outcome.
anything is possible when power is given to the right (or wrong) people. never assume anything, always expect the worse.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
im not asking what it means to root..

but im asking what are we goin to do nexT?
now that we have rooted the droid?

The people in the Hacks forum already have taken the browser off a Milestone and are trying to get it to work on the Droid - pinch/zoom in the default browser. I think they are also trying to get the default Gallery and Google Maps from the Milestone since those have pinch/zoom by default as well. After that, who knows where they will take it.

jasondcannon

Reaction score
Can someone who got the automatic update let us know if the Verizon Apps tab in the Android Market still exists or has it been replaced by just a Downloads tab?

jasondcannon

Reaction score
Interesting that some people that are doing the manual update says it's gone. I wonder if there is some difference in the updates?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I manually installed the update and 'Verizon' tab is still there in Market.