OTA update verizon droid... 2.1?

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by OB1J3D1, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanRacer48

RyanRacer48 New Member

I've flashed everything from my motherboard to my xbox 360. I'm not worried about the ability to do it.

I want a phone that just CAN ... Why should we have to be rooting these phones to get whats already out and available. If Motorola is saying EFF the community already in terms of priority, I'd rather not give that company revenue.

If I come to the conclusion the Nexus isn't a superior phone, I'll keep the moto and that point do whatever I want to it. Until that is determined I'm not going to do anything.
  2. FreddyChevy

FreddyChevy New Member

Dude I have read 2 different threads with you complaining Moto isn't saying F the community,They would rather take longer to make it right than give us a crap update that ppl would still be crying about have patience this phone is only a few months old and is still competing with the best. If you don't want to root then don't just wait like everyone else or just use another phone until 2.1 is released if your Droid is that much of a pain without the options you think it should have.
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This is my first smartphone. I have no stats on how many smart phones are out there, let alone how many different brands and models being used under which carriers. I'm not even sure who has the say on an update release. If a phone was used on different carriers would that same model be updated at the same time or is it up to the carrier and not the manufacturer? Anyways, my like of stats leaves me with little knowledge as far as how many different phone models get updates. I don't even know if the iPhone gets them or not. I do know that the only way to upgrade all of my previous phones was to replace them. I hear RyanRacer. He wants his phone to be its very best. The options are get a better phone, wait for this one to become better or...the one of the very cool unexpected features for me...go make it better myself thanks to the hard dedicated work of others who are digging into things, making roms, figuring out things I don't have the time, and quite possibly the skillset, to do myself.
  4. RyanRacer48

RyanRacer48 New Member

Uh I haven't started one post about 2.1 but I am a consumer w/ a big mouth who is willing to use it to ensure my phone doesn't end up on the discontinued list.

Its ok though take out your frustrations on me because my opinion differs from yours.
  5. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

From a Verizon support perspective, it would be much easier to have all the Android phones on the same version of the OS. Makes tech support and training of support staff a lot easier. I'm sure 2.1 will be here soon.
  6. mrgagentleman

mrgagentleman New Member

I confess to being a little ignorant when it comes to the tech side of smartphones, so someone enlighten me....

What can 2.1 do that 2.0.1 can't?
  7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Among the things (many of which can be installed on 2.01 without rooting so I really don't understand all the complaining):

1. UI with new app drawer and 5 home screens
    2. Better looking/functioning Gallery app with pinch/zoom
    3. Better Music app
    4. Google Maps with night mode and pinch zoom
    5. Google News and Weather widget
    6. New Clock when in dock mode

Things you currently need to root to get:

1. Live Wallpapers (most people who have installed 2.1 seemed to have tired of this quickly and stopped using it)
    2. Pinch zoom in the default browser (Dolphin and xScope browsers in the market do this now).

There may be others, buts that is all that I can remember off the top of my head. I am more interested in fixes such as making the camera take better pictures which is hopefully what Motorola is working on.
  8. BSmith

BSmith New Member

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall being told that will always have the latest and greatest updates. If the phone works fine, it works fine. Just because someone releases a phone that is newer and better a few months later doesn't mean you are entitled to have those same features.

Lemme guess, EFF Microsoft too, since you can't upgrade to Win7 for free?
  9. thed0cb

thed0cb New Member

I am a little confused. Is it just me or do some people expect phones to be sent from heaven.

Your mad that the phone can do bluetooth transfers...stock?

I feel like we should all learn from the iPhone communtiy.(Those who are afraid of the market.)There is usually an app for that.
  10. Nat3Th3Ap3

Nat3Th3Ap3 New Member

You can also download the App from their website. www.sholes.info has the info on it and also the download link for the app. You must enable your phone to install apps not from the Marketplace though. I did it last night, no comptuer, it takes about 10 mins.
  11. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

While I'm not saying your opinions are wrong, just because the phone doesn't do what you want it to (i.e. transfer contacts via Bluetooth) doesn't mean that its a problem or a malfunction. This is simply a request for a feature, or a missing feature, but not a problem. The words have separate connotations that differ more than their denotations.
  12. nickfro

nickfro New Member

With respect to the above... all I can say is: Please don't feed the trolls.
    :icon_ banana:
  13. loonymike

loonymike New Member

There will always be one better. No one can stay ahead of technology. It's impossible.
  14. dos

dos New Member

Seriously, anyone asking for a refund by saying they got a B rate phone has got problems. The "top dog" phone seriously only lasts about 2 to 3 months with something new coming up. With the pace that Android phones are being released, look out. It seems to me almost every week there is a new Android phone that is getting released soon that has better software, better screen, better hardware etc.. For those of you that want the latest and greatest, you better have a large bank account.
  15. Rollingbones

Rollingbones New Member

Hmmmmm... Sorry, but I don't think the specs on the Nexus are that much better and it lacks a QWERTY keyboard... not interested!!! Oh.. and one other thing... This phone rocks... period... end of conversation!!!. As stated before, the upgrade features people are looking appear to be available through other programs. As for 2.1.. guess what, it'll get here when it gets here!!! In the mean time you still have and incredible piece of equipment... or at least I do...

:noupstoday01:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  16. ptfd13

ptfd13 New Member

This is a thread that I wish the MODs would just close. What started as a question about an update has turned into yet another complaint about Motorola and a N1 vs. droid comparison. Really guys? Take it to one of the other multiple complaint threads.
  17. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Agreed...closed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.