OTA update still there

Discussion in 'Adamz' started by kameltron7, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kameltron7

kameltron7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright guys here's the deal. I noticed that my phone was draining battery fairly quickly after flashing AdamZ's newest rom. I looked into the update section and sure enough it has 2.1 pending. I hopped on the forums right away looking for an answer. I found the answer and have another problem.

Anytime I go through with the 2.1 update, SPRecovery blocks it. Then when I reboot my phone I get a constant boot cycle. Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on here? I already reinstalled and tried this at least 5 times. Same thing every time. I do all the wipes and clears and still nothing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Try to boot into recovery. From there, choose install update.zip. But dont choose the one above that says allow update.zip. See if that helps. It should give an error saying something. Thats fine.

3. kameltron7

kameltron7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried it. No update.zip shows up for 2.1 on my sdcard. Not sure if it's not downloading, but I even pressed download and see the progress bar finishing.

4. s0bek

s0bek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    get a copy of otacerts.zip from
    Rooted 2.1 getting 2.1 OTA Notification
    place it on your SD card and used root explorer to move it in the system/ect/security folder, (if you already have otacerts.zip, skip this step and come back to it if you need to)
    need to as mount R/W to make changes to the security folder (also SU)
    reboot if necessary

this is exactly what I did to solve my problem. assuming your using 6.0.1 and have SPRecovery (latest and already backed up) like I do

root explorer is a few bucks on the market and essential for having root.
    you should download, phone will auto reboot, attempt to download and open (dont worry) install will fail and you can just exit and boot normally.

SPRecovery will not allow any updates.zip to install unless you manually allow it by selecting "allow updates.zip" or something like that

i think!

#4 s0bek, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. kameltron7

kameltron7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is s0bek I tried exactly that and I get the boot loop. I've followed the instructions step by step. Same thing every time.

6. specmac

specmac Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    s0bek - I was stuck in the download loop also. I followed your instructions and still in the download loop.

After 3 attempts, I decide the thing I was doing different was resetting the folder permission on /system/etc/security back to R/O. I tried one more time but leaving the permissions on that folder to R/W. This time after the download I got the option to install.

Thanks, mine is now fixed.

7. kameltron7

kameltron7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    specmac, I did exactly the same thing and it worked. Thanks to both you guys for the help.

8. BamaFan13

BamaFan13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so once u download this, rename it, and move it to that folder, do u try downloading the update or what? what makes it go away?

9. BamaFan13

BamaFan13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its not prompting me to install...i did the permissions thing and all the other steps right...what gives?

10. speed_phreak

speed_phreak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Man, I loved SG 6.0.1! It was stable and did everything I wanted, but this download loop thing was killing me. I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but it was time to move on prematurely...

I tried to get SG to stop downloading the update. I got Root Explorer and messed around with the permissions, but was never successful. Best I got was the system updater saying it needed to restart. The update was never visible on the SDcard.

I just made the jump to Chevy's Simply Stunning 3.1. I am also giving clockwork recovery and the rom manager a whirl as well... We sure have come a long way..

I hope AdamZ shows up again to create a new SG! Until then, RIP...