OTA update notification?

mfratto

Reaction score
I installed Lithium 1.0.12 from ROM Manager. Nice Rom. Good job. But this evening, I starting getting OTA update notifications from VZW. I renamed /system/etc/otacerts.zip and removed the downloaded ROM from the /cache, rebooted and still getting update notifications. What's going on? Tks.

Reaction score
Hrmmm...if you're running a custom recovery, such as SBF or Clockwork, you shouldnt be getting the ota update notification. Not quite sure why you are.

Edit: You can let it install, it will fail (clockwork/sbf will block it from installing), and you shouldnt get the update notification again.

king_43

Reaction score
Ya i have bugless beast's 2.2 and just got the update notification.. I obviously do NOT want it to update it and mess all my stuff up.. And like the poster above said why am I getting the update msg when I am using a custom rom/kernal etc.. and is there anyway to turn that off?

Ya just backed up my current rom.. Just in case it does something stupid, but nonetheless why is it telling me it has the update and ready to install.. Can't I disable that? I want to continue to run my current rom.. I dont want verizon messing w/ my stuff

jgrubbs

Reaction score
just let it install and your custom recovery will block it, and you will not see the notification again. everything will stay intact....

OP
M

mfratto

Reaction score
thanks for the responses

just let it install and your custom recovery will block it, and you will not see the notification again. everything will stay intact....

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am running Clockwork and Lithium. I was getting conflicting info on whether I could let it install and still be OK.

pmr5019

Reaction score
Listen to jgrubbs

Listen to what jgrubbs said. Your ROM will abort the install of the update and you won't see the update notification again. I was sceptical at first but did a backup and tried it. It has been 3 days now without a notification. Thanks jgrubbs.

chuckz28

Reaction score
I too had the same issue and it worked to let clockwork fail the update BUT it only worked for a few days. After I rebooted again it came back. I have now done this method three times and I still get the ota update notice after rebooting so it does NOT work.

pmr5019

Reaction score
Sorry chuckz

I'm sorry to hear that chuckz but I seem to be having better luck than you then. Like I said it is now going to be the 4th day without a notification since my installation was aborted by my rom. I have rebooted at least once a day since then as well. So I still suggest that as a solution, if it works then great, if not then no harm done. Worth a try at least.