OTA update = newer/better radio?

goresnet

Reaction score
Does the new update (which I STILL can't get) include a new radio? If so, is it the MR2 or 2.5 previously leaked? If it's something newer, is it available to download separately? I'm planning on rooting soon (if I ever get a day off) with the bamf sense 3.0 rc4 (seems very popular). Want to get the best quality and least reboots possible.

A side question, what is CM7? I've heard people recommend the final version of it (as an alternate rom to bamf).

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the new update (which I STILL can't get) include a new radio? If so, is it the MR2 or 2.5 previously leaked? If it's something newer, is it available to download separately? I'm planning on rooting soon (if I ever get a day off) with the bamf sense 3.0 rc4 (seems very popular). Want to get the best quality and least reboots possible.

A side question, what is CM7? I've heard people recommend the final version of it (as an alternate rom to bamf).

The update contains a newer radio, and yes rooted users can flash it separately.

Cm = CyanogenMod. Cm7 is AOSP (vanilla) gingerbread.

Sent from my NookColor

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Thanks pdroid. Got a link to just the newest radio?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't do it easily on tapatalk. Check the thunderbolt android development section at xda

Sent from my NookColor

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Will do. Thanks again. Do you know if this new radio is getting good press?

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I have the new radio. Flashed it this morning and no problems. Was getting drops from 4g to 1x a lot but the new radio cleared that up. I was running mr2.5 radio.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Thanks. If I can find it when I root, I'll try that one.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Yeah I'm rooted. I was running gingerth3ory but switch today to liquid thunderbread v2.3.

I really like gingerth3ory. Great rom but wanted to try something else.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with my device, but I flashed MR2.5 and had no problems. Last week I started getting reboots and my battery began to drain considerably faster than normal. I just flashed this new one today so we'll see how it all works. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with my device, but I flashed MR2.5 and had no problems. Last week I started getting reboots and my battery began to drain considerably faster than normal. I just flashed this new one today so we'll see how it all works. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

From what I have gathered being on the forums and all every phone is different. You have to try different radios and see which works but make sure it works with the Rom BEFORE you make any changes.

I used 2.5 and I had spotty signal I'm on the newest radio and I have no problems.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score

From what I have gathered being on the forums and all every phone is different. You have to try different radios and see which works but make sure it works with the Rom BEFORE you make any changes.

I used 2.5 and I had spotty signal I'm on the newest radio and I have no problems.

Yea it seemed like things were great. I was getting 12-15 hours of battery life and no reboots. These last two weeks have been much different. I'm trying the new radio and thinking about changing ROM's in the next few weeks if that doesn't change. I still absolutely LOVE this phone though.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I would try a new radio. I was having the same problem then switched to the new one and I'm doing great. I also switched back to gingerth3ory.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Gingerth3ory I guess is gingerbread? It's stable? Have you tried bamf sense 3.0? I'm looking for a good everyday rom. Not currently planning on constantly switching.