OTA Update/Flashboot Failure

Justino6969

Reaction score
Evening all,

So I bought a Motorola Razr M used on ebay about a year ago, and it was already rooted. Everything has been fine except he installed AP Fastboot incorrectly and every time the phone reboots I get a fastboot error. Simply enough, I just power down, press and hold power+up+down and select normal boot and it starts just fine. About a week ago, the 4.4.2 update was rolled out to my phone. However, when it installs the update, the phone restarts, and boots to the fastboot error screen. I have to then manually restart the phone and it will reboot again to try and install the update, fastboot failure, reboot, fastboot failure, etc, until it finally fails completely after 5 or so reboots. My question is, is there any way to disable or otherwise get rid of AP Fastboot so that I can upgrade to 4.4.2? Or any way to upgrade otherwise?

Other info:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
10.9B(*) (sha-1e9f557)
Device is LOCKED, Status Code: 0
Fastboot Reason: Flash Failure

Recovery gives me the android on his back with the red triangle and !

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
he didnt install ap fastboot incorrectly, thats a common flash error.
you will need to flash your phone to fix this error.
you have 2 options, either flash right to KK with no root and no way to root.
or, flash the 4.1.2 back on that you have now and re-root. (only do this if you want to stay on 4.1.2 and re-root. you can not maintain root through the ota and the ota will fail if you are rooted)

the stock file you will need can be found here Motorola Firmwares
choose the bottom file if you want to go right to KK, or the one directly above it if you want to stay where you are.
either option will fix the fastboot error.

these files need to be flashed with rsd. use google if you need a tutorial, there are many out there.

OP
J

Justino6969

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response bweN. Is there any way to save the data on the phone, or will flashing just erase everything?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Thanks for the quick response bweN. Is there any way to save the data on the phone, or will flashing just erase everything?

you can save data, its better to just start fresh, its up to you though.

your going to have to extract the factory software to a folder.
find the xml file (near the bottom)
right click and choose edit
completely remove any lines containing "getvar" and "erase userdata"
then close and save changes

you can leave the folder uncompressed as you need to use the xml file as the target file in rsd.