OTA Update Fails

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Excellent.
Thank you.

Hope ICS comes soon.
If I spent all this time rerooting only to wait for weeks on end I may not be happy!

:)
B

Phreon

Reaction score
Same problem

I had a similar problem this morning. My phone downloaded and installed a package "to prepare [my] phone for ICS" successfully. However after a nearly 300 meg D/L I believe was ICS, I got the same error as the OP. My phone has AmonRa onboard at the moment, is unlocked and rooted, but is running the stock build otherwise. Restoring back to the factory bootloader should allow the update to complete, correct?

Thanks,

Phreon

Phreon

Reaction score
Reflashing back to the stock recovery got the process further with the update starting, but about 1/4 through, I got the red triangle of death. I just finished re-locking and am trying again. It doesn't appear to save the file in /cache...couldn't find it on the phone. And after every failure, it has to re-download all 299 Megs. VERY annoying. Hopefully this next attempt works. Thankfully I have grandfathered unlimited data or I would bust my plan. This is the 4th try.

Phreon

Reaction score
Ok, reflashed to factory, relocked and the update is still failing at the red triangle of death... Ideas?

TheWolf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got the firmware update this morning and it kept failing, similar errors to the OP, but different APKs referenced. I flashed an old nandroid backup from a few months back, prior to removing stock bloatware. The firmware then updated. I ran across the same error with the ICS update, but with a different APK. I am currently attempting to to restore an older backup with ALL bloatware intact. Will update.

Additional Data:
I used Titanium Backup to remove several applications that are stock and locked, ie... Blockbuster, Flickr etc... I think the one that is stopping me from doing the ICS update seems to be the race car demo, I apologize for not remembering the name of it.

TheWolf

Reaction score
That worked, you have to lock your bootloader to do the ICS update as well.

will187465

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems, I just got my phone back rooted after trying everything I could think and having the download fail time after time. Please keep updating, or point me in the direction I should go to get it to work.
Thanks

Phreon

Reaction score
It's really starting to sound like the OTA update fails if every last bit of bloatware isn't intact. Assinine. Given all the complaints I've been reading about ICS for the Rezound, I'm hesitant to put much time into enabling the update to complete. However, ever since the update to "prepare your phone for ICS", my battery life has been absolute crap, despite ensuring the power settings are not at max performance, etc.

Phreon

Snoking

Reaction score
Does a factory reset reload bloatware that is removed?

DroDough

Reaction score
Phreon said:
It's really starting to sound like the OTA update fails if every last bit of bloatware isn't intact. Assinine. Given all the complaints I've been reading about ICS for the Rezound, I'm hesitant to put much time into enabling the update to complete. However, ever since the update to "prepare your phone for ICS", my battery life has been absolute crap, despite ensuring the power settings are not at max performance, etc.

Phreon

Are you familiar with flashing? Also is your phone completely stock?

Phreon

Reaction score
Does a factory reset reload bloatware that is removed?

I don't think so. I've performed a full factory reset and after that PITA, the update still fails in the exact same way. Don't take my word as gospel though, I'm no Rezound guru. I'm just reporting what I've found so far.

DroDough

Reaction score
This post is for everybody having issues with I.C.S. thanks to jeffdenver for posting a link in another post. I highly reccomend everybody head to www.androidpolice.com. search for a post they did on Aug 15th that deals with the rezound getting another update, download and install that update. The build number is 4.03.605.2. It is the best build I have used so far. It has fixed all of my issues at this time. Read the instructions close, as it WILL wipe your phones data. You can install mybackup from the play store to do a complete backup before flashing the RUU so that you can restore your phone to the way it was before flashing. Also you MUST be completely stock.

Phreon

Reaction score
This post is for everybody having issues with I.C.S. thanks to jeffdenver for posting a link in another post. I highly reccomend everybody head to www.androidpolice.com. search for a post they did on Aug 15th that deals with the rezound getting another update, download and install that update. The build number is 4.03.605.2. It is the best build I have used so far. It has fixed all of my issues at this time. Read the instructions close, as it WILL wipe your phones data. You can install mybackup from the play store to do a complete backup before flashing the RUU so that you can restore your phone to the way it was before flashing. Also you MUST be completely stock.

In bold print, that site says, "This will not work if you used the HTC Bootloader unlock tool. Your device must be fully stock with a locked bootloader or you must have S-Off" Does this mean that even though I re-locked my phone, the update won't work? Or simply that it won't work if the phone is currently unlocked (which mine is not). And does "fully stock" mean "includes all of the verizon bloat software", which my phone does not (which is why the OTA is failing, apparently).

Just want to clarify before going through the process.

Thanks

DroDough

Reaction score
Phreon said:
In bold print, that site says, "This will not work if you used the HTC Bootloader unlock tool. Your device must be fully stock with a locked bootloader or you must have S-Off" Does this mean that even though I re-locked my phone, the update won't work? Or simply that it won't work if the phone is currently unlocked (which mine is not). And does "fully stock" mean "includes all of the verizon bloat software", which my phone does not (which is why the OTA is failing, apparently).

Just want to clarify before going through the process.

Thanks

I am curious as to how you don't have all of the bloatware. Is your phone rooted?