OTA UPDATE DROID 4 AUGUST 18th

Alexis_88

Reaction score
360silent said:
if u r rooted 2.3.6....i had the same problem...so i use the d4 utility tool...did #4 and it worked perfect.. updated

I am having the same problem Its keep saying update failed should I do this as well?

daryls61

Reaction score
When the update fails, press both the volume up and volume down keys at same time. The last few lines of text tell you what file is causing the update to fail. It will probably either be an APK or ODEX file that is being identified.

Then, just find the file from one of the droid file dumps on the site here and replace that file on your phone.

I have 4 files that were not right for some reason.

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
So my weekends are so busy I haven't had time to mess with this especially since it kept failing and I'd have to redownload the update. First off I figured out where it stores the update files so I can save a copy on the sdcard which make retrying the update less painful. Second, thanks to daryls61's post regarding viewing the verbose aspect of the installation and seeing where it's failing I'm one step closer to getting this resolved. My guess is that it's the apps I've frozen with Titanium.

Last edited:
OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Does anyone know how to get ICS in to PC Mode or Diag Mode?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get ICS in to PC Mode or Diag Mode?

I don't think ICS supports those. You should have three now: Mass Storage, MTP and PTP. MTP should be the most flexible as you have access on the phone and from your pc. If you just upgraded to ICS you will probably need new drivers.

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
I am having the same problem Its keep saying update failed should I do this as well?

Alexis, if you still have not found a solution try Voodoo Rootkeeper from the market. It's very straight forward and pretty much requires you to click one or two buttons to unroot. Then apply the update, then come back to the tool to restore root. It was more than easy.

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't think ICS supports those. You should have three now: Mass Storage, MTP and PTP. MTP should be the most flexible as you have access on the phone and from your pc. If you just upgraded to ICS you will probably need new drivers.

Yea, it doesn't have the PC mode directly but I found out how to boot into that mode from the bootloader; a little more cumbersome but it works.

Last edited:

LocoRon

Reaction score
Alexis, if you still have not found a solution try Voodoo Rootkeeper from the market. It's very straight forward and pretty much requires you to click one or two buttons to unroot. Then apply the update, then come back to the tool to restore root. It was more than easy.

If you go this route, make sure your root binaries are up-to-date (in the superuser app). If you try to restore an outdated su binary, you're likely to have to re-flash your system to be able to re-root (at least in my case, that was the only way I could find to get root back, after trying many other things).

Erikbal

Reaction score
Mine is almost done downloading as we speak. I hope it works out ok. My friend has it on his razr and there's some things I didnt like, like the fact that you cant long touch to add app or widgets and such anymore. Mine is finished it says verifying update, wish me luck!

rouge06

Reaction score
Hello, I am a newbie here and I had the same problem. I tried several times to install the OTA ICS and it just says install failed. I am rooted with GB. what do I need to do? What is the D4 utility?
Thanks!

Erikbal

Reaction score
Install went well, everything seems to be working well so far and it's kind of cool, going to take some getting used to though!

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hello, I am a newbie here and I had the same problem. I tried several times to install the OTA ICS and it just says install failed. I am rooted with GB. what do I need to do? What is the D4 utility?
Thanks!

When you start the update process it loads that screen with the android character and the yellow progress bar, as soon as that screen shows up press both vol up and vol down at the same time and it will switch to verbose mode where it will show each step of the install process. When it fails it will typically display a directory and apk file name. If you're rooted I recommend getting titanium backup, making a complete backup of your system. Use the D4 utility to flash the latest GB update which should return everything to stock and then download the ICS update and let it install. Once installed sign in with your gmail account and download titanium backup and then restore from the back. BTW make sure when you use titanum backup that you set it to backup to the external sdcard otherwise it will default to the internal one and you may lose the backup after the flash. If you have any other questions with this you can PM me. I had to reset my GB to stock with a fastboot file in order to get ICS to install from there I was able to restore all my apps and settings with titanium backup which saved me a lot of time.

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is anyone else having issues with 3G and airplane mode? I switched my phone to airplane mode the other day and when I switched it back the 3G wouldn't come back on. I had to reboot the phone to get it to work. Also when I reboot my phone goes in to AP fastboot mode instead of booting normally. What's that about? It's ironic but I think I'd have less issues with this phone if it had an unlocked bootloader. With my Droid 1 I had a custom ROM that worked 10 times better than stock. Tired of these stale, commercial, uninspired, motoblur infested installations that seem to be riddled with bugs. After the OTA push of the latest GB on my Droid 4 I had to reflash it myself because the OTA pushed version was corrupted. So far I'm not minding ICS, it's pretty sweet but there are issues and I'm not sure if they're specific to ICS or just because Motorola and Verizon put there dirty fingers all over ICS before passing it along.

BTW: I have the OTA file which can be reinstalled via the bootloader recovery mode. If anyone wants it for development purposes or whatever let me know. I used it in recovery mode to see if it would fix the the phone booting into AP fastboot mode but it didn't my phone still boots into that mode for some reason. If anyone know how to fix that please share.

Last edited:

Holymsophy

Reaction score
Is there a way to save the ICS update to SD-ext?

I have been trying to get the update on my droid 4 for the past 2 days. Once it starts updating, it always aborts on Youtube.apk. I was rooted, unrooted with droid 4 utility, same thing. Did factory setting, same thing. And I am tired of spending 20+ minutes trying to download the update.

I am at my wits end, but I tried changing the youtube.apk and still nothing.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It's downloaded to your cache. Copy it to your internal, the external to save. You can also get it in the roms section. Posted there about three weeks ago. Have to be rooted to get to the cache.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2