OTA UPDATE DROID 4 AUGUST 18th

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by xsylus, Aug 18, 2012.

1. mikekhelxD

mikekhelxD Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah. But I read about one of the option something about killing all apps right away after used that it can cause problems. I haven't tried it, but i might. My battery life is so bad. The only thing that is running in my background is the GSam battery monitor. I might have to uninstall that as well. Had my phone on locked, batt drained about 30% doing nothing. Geez. Also, i turned off my animations, apparently, 72% of my batt usage is from display. I don't know if that would help, but trying couldn't hurt. I have my brightness all the way on low as well.

I might try factory reset as well. Time to back up my files.

2. silver6054

silver6054 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    \
    Right, on the soak test motorola specifically said to wait a while for the phone basically to catch up with syncing etc. Battery life can be very bad in this initial period.

Sometimes doing a factory reset will merely cause all of this work to be be restarted, delaying the better performance. But certainly after one or two days, if things persist, doing a factory reset might help.

3. SayntMykl

SayntMykl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was stuck on that screen for over 90 minutes, so I soft booted it. It came back up with ICS, but some things didn't work: Facebook app, sound and other settings would crash, etc. I wound up plugging my phone USB into my computer, backing up internal and external storage, shutting down, removing SD card, and performing a factory default reset. Success!

I spent several hours yesterday reinstalling apps and app backups from my SD card, as the Google Play Store no longer does that automatically for you. But now it is indeed like having a brand new phone. I was dismayed that they moved the apps button to the bottom center of the screen after having moved it to the right in GB. At least now, you can group icons together in folders on the desktop, giving you tons of space! FB is now a stock app. I'm having a little bit of trouble with Handcent SMS not showing contact photos, but I'm sure they'll fix that bug.

So, in short, I should have done like I always wind up doing anyway: backup internal and external storage and do a factory default reset. It's a pain, but ICS seems pretty good so far! dancedroid

4. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    What, pray tell, does "ICS" stand for? Yesterday I got the update notice and selected the option to put it off. Today I got it so I let it do its thing. Took about an hour. At the end it went through 87 (as I recall) apps updating them. My guess is this is "ICS" and is a newer version of the Android operating system. The update took my battery from 90% to 50% (there was no warning, that I saw, to plug the D4 into the charger).

So, what is ICS and what can I expect from it?

5. jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    ICS - Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0

Google names each version beyond just a number.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

6. drew96dawg

drew96dawg Senior Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Ics is ice cream sandwich and it is an update to the android os. You should expect to see less lag, more stable os and signal as well as improvments in battery life

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

7. mikekhelxD

mikekhelxD Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I still yet to see batt improvement. Did you guys factory reset? I think i'm on my 2nd day, and have charged the phone 4-5 times already without doing much. It just drains away like there isn't tomorrow. Settings are on lowest possible and apps are all killed.

8. drew96dawg

drew96dawg Senior Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Did you do a factory reset? It is highly recommended and will solve most issues people have with the update

9. Alexis_88

Alexis_88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my update yesterday morning and tried to update my device and it says update failed...my phone is rooted could that the reason?

10. drew96dawg

drew96dawg Senior Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes that is the reason you should backup everything and unroot to take the update and once you get it do a factory reset and reroot if you want

11. orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Rooting won't cause the update to fail. You most likely have an app or some apps that were modified somehow. Best bet is to flash 219 then check and download the update, or you can RSDLite ICS directly. Either way works fine then you can root ICS using the ICS Root Tool.

12. Alexis_88

Alexis_88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok and how do I flash 219?

Search tags for this page
cricket over the air programming droid4
cricket wireless tweeks

droid 4 ota

sch i800 ota failed