1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

OTA Update Blocking

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yblaser, Aug 17, 2010.

1. yblaser

yblaser New Member

Had this problem on another developers ROM when 2.1 can out and it looks like a similar thing is happening with SS 4.6. While the 2.2 OTA update is blocked from installing my phone is still downloading it. I doesn't give any indication, but I noticed the data usage. Going to settings-about phone-system updates showed it was halfway through the download. When the install fails it redownloads the update again a few hours later. Downloading a ~45 MB file every couple hours really eats into your battery life. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix?
  2. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

just checked and i'm not getting this. maybe something went wonky with your install of SS?
  3. B-Unit

B-Unit New Member

Mine simply says 'Your system is currently up to date'.
  4. drewmeyer87

drewmeyer87 New Member

I noticed the same thing happening to my battery life, I thought I was crazy.

Just went to System Updates and sure enough...

Froyo 2.2 Update
    Downloading...
    1/2 done on 45.2MB

Anything we can do about this?
  5. drewmeyer87

drewmeyer87 New Member

Looks like this:

[​IMG]
  6. Smoke#14

Smoke#14 New Member

My phone says the same thing and it has not attempted to download an OTA update recently either. Seems like if I remember correctly when 2.1 came out my phone downloaded it but did not install and never did it again.
  7. Juggernaut

Juggernaut New Member

I thought the recovery program was what stopped the update? Could recovery cause the problem? I use SPRecovery but still haven't received the OTA.
  8. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Double-check that the file was renamed:

adb shell ls -l /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

You should get 'no such file or directory'

If it does in fact see the file, you must run these steps:

adb shell
    sysrw
    mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak
    sysro
    exit
  9. yblaser

yblaser New Member

It was already named as otacerts.bak in /system/etc/security/

Also, I've noticed that once the file downloads and I go back to system update it says that my system is up to date. If I then hit the back arrow and choose system update again it starts downloading again. Strange.

Thanks all for the help...
  10. drewmeyer87

drewmeyer87 New Member

In /system/etc/security/ I have two files:

cacerts.bks and otacerts.bak

However, it keeps trying to download the update for 2.2 froyo. I can tell, the phone gets hot and data is ticking and my battery gets murdered.

I'm down to 50% after 4 hours at work, not using the phone.
  11. stewp97

stewp97 New Member

I checked mine just now it started the download. I think it has been doing it all day though because my battery is draining faster today than it has in quite awhile.

peter
  12. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

13. clk55r1d3h

clk55r1d3h New Member

Yes you guys should let it download and install, sprecovery or clockwork will block it and you'll get an installation aborted...you might get another update later on or never...mine has been about 2 days I haven't got anything, it depends on if they send it or not...
  14. drewmeyer87

drewmeyer87 New Member

I would love to do that ... but that's the problem, I can't install it, it gets half way on the download, then stops, then says system is up to date, then starts downloading again.

It seems to be a never ending cycle of download.
  15. clk55r1d3h

clk55r1d3h New Member

Ok, I think what you guys need to do is change the "otacerts.zip.bak" back to "otacerts.zip" that should not stop the download, and when it's done do what I said before...let me know what happens...I'm not an expert but it won't hurt to give it a try...
  16. yblaser

yblaser New Member

Okay. I left the phone alone yesterday and it did not try to download the update again. This morning it started downloading the update on its own. I renamed the otacerts file, rebooted, and restarted the update download. It still is not prompting me for an install after the download finishes.
  17. Fault

Fault New Member

Mine says up to date. Not to sure
  18. wrongaddress

wrongaddress New Member

Funny - mine was trying to update only wifi was off (on 3G). When checking with wifi on, it shows up to date. Switch off WiFi and starts to download (continues?) again. I let it go. No reboots or anything and now shows up to date with wifi off.

Freaky.
  19. clk55r1d3h

clk55r1d3h New Member

I think if your battery is less than 40% it won't do it...but if this wasn't the case then just let it be like it might take sometime for it to notify you, but the good thing is that the download is complete and it won't try to download every two hours....
  20. joshk

joshk New Member

Im bumping this thread because Im having the same issues with the latest Froyo version being pushed. My issue seems slightly different but the same idea....

I noticed my battery being destroyed over night while Im at work and not using it much. So I went on a hunt to find out what was causing the heavy data usage. I remember reading this thread before so I went and looked under system update and to my surprise it was attempting to download the update. When I read this thread before I checked every now and again just to see if I had this problem and I didnt. Now I check all the time and it just keeps trying over and over. Ive set the screen time out to 30 mins and switched to WiFi to speed up the download and it does the same thing each time. The download progress bar goes all the way across and then without saying anything more or different.... "your system is up to date". Hit the clear button and go back into system update and it tries again. Ive done all the steps listed in this thread with no luck. It is killing my battery pretty bad every day. Today, woke up, unplugged my phone and headed to the gym. Didnt use my phone the whole 2 hours I was there, down to 70%. Where I used to get 2 days easy, I barely make it 1 day. Hopefully there is another way to get this through because Id rather not kill the life of my battery long before its due. Anyone with other ideas, your help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to leave SS. Thanks to all in advance and thanks for the previous help in this thread.

JOSH
Search tags for this page
block ota update verizon droid razr
droid 4 block ota update

droid update block

ota android update blocking