Ota update .181

honors21

Reaction score
Yes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Which phone do you prefer. I am going to be upgrading my Droid X and have been looking at both.
I prefer the Nexus once the software upgrade comes out it will get better battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

fauxreall

Reaction score
im in cali. it didnt notify me to update, so i manually went in and checked for an update. dled, installed. all worked flawlessly. cant comment on if its any different.

xtor

Reaction score
Every time there's an update, there is hundreds of post of rooted phones having problems, it's crazy, just saying

cece5702

Reaction score
xtor said:
Every time there's an update, there is hundreds of post of rooted phones having problems, it's crazy, just saying

I was thinking the same thing Lol. That's the very reason why I don't root. :)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Lol. That's the very reason why I don't root. :)
I'm not supporting anyone who roots their phone or bashning those who don't. But, my experience on these forums with users who have rooted their phones and have problems getting updates almost always boils down to the fact that they didn't do something or did something they shouldn't have. The most common problem...a user who knows almost nothing about root buys the phone and the first thing he/she does is fine a way to root it...then proceeds to do the "cardinal sin"...deleting bloatware. It he/she had done a little research and study before rooting from experienced users who root they would have learned that you should never delete a system app. You can freeze it, rename it or even move it out of the system folder...but don't delete it. Deleting system apps is a guarantied "No GO" for future updates/upgrades. The problem is not root...it's users who think they are smarter than the carrier or the manufacturer and don't take the time to understand what you can do and what you shouldn't do. Anyone who roots and then ask how to unroot or go back to a stock (out of the box configuration) has no business rooting their phone. But you are right...just read the threads..."I just got my razr and want to root it, can someone explain to me how to do that and what I can do when I am rooted?. Weeks later..."I'm rooted and can't get the update...PLEASE SOMEONE help me...how do I unroot and get back to stock...all I did was delete some bloatware from Verizon and Motorola". Same story every update.

My advice to those who want to root...do the research...ask questions...do some more research...understand what you can safely do and what you should not try to do before you root...then have a clear understanding how to recover if things don't go as planned.

I know...more information than you wanted...I had to get that off my chest. Hope I didn't offend anyone, and I hope an inexperienced user reads this before he roots.

mcsoul

Reaction score
I kind of agree, I'm a newb who was tempted to root my phone but decided against it.

I decided that bloatware does not hurt me as long as it does not autostart, and the stuff that does
autostart is probably the crud that breaks you later if you remove it now. I don't need root to
remove 100mb worth of space when I have 5gb available.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I kind of agree, I'm a newb who was tempted to root my phone but decided against it.

I decided that bloatware does not hurt me as long as it does not autostart, and the stuff that does
autostart is probably the crud that breaks you later if you remove it now. I don't need root to
remove 100mb worth of space when I have 5gb available.
I totally agree with you...with the memory these phones have now, what does a couple hundred megs give you?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Right now on the moto forums, there are a bunch of people complaining about this update. I'm not having any issues, but that doesn't mean anything though. Who knows... I haven't seen any gains from this ota, but I haven't seen any loses either.

On a side note.... I'm off to go get a couple of tablets.....trying the moto xyboard 10.1, if i don't like it, then I'll get the new Asus transformer tablet... and I hate to say it... but an ipad3.... its a sad day for me.... IOS, never thought I'd see the day.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Right now on the moto forums, there are a bunch of people complaining about this update. I'm not having any issues, but that doesn't mean anything though. Who knows... I haven't seen any gains from this ota, but I haven't seen any loses either.

On a side note.... I'm off to go get a couple of tablets.....trying the moto xyboard 10.1, if i don't like it, then I'll get the new Asus transformer tablet... and I hate to say it... but an ipad3.... its a sad day for me.... IOS, never thought I'd see the day.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
A little off topic, but...I got my wife the Asus Transformer Prime after comparing to Toshiba, Moto's and iPad (I understand...iPad...never thought I'd go there LOL). The Asus Prime is outstanding...absolutely the best tablet out there...in my opinion of course. I haven't seen the new iPad, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Asus. Some have reported WiFi and GPS issues...I've never experienced any of those...that's when my wife lets me play with HER Prime I might add.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A little off topic, but...I got my wife the Asus Transformer Prime after comparing to Toshiba, Moto's and iPad (I understand...iPad...never thought I'd go there LOL). The Asus Prime is outstanding...absolutely the best tablet out there...in my opinion of course. I haven't seen the new iPad, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Asus. Some have reported WiFi and GPS issues...I've never experienced any of those...that's when my wife lets me play with HER Prime I might add.

Yeah, I'm spoiled I guess. Got the ipad3, the moto xyboard, and a prime. I think the xyboard is going back. Idk though. I got the 4g xyboard. So I'm not dependant on wifi all the time

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm spoiled I guess. Got the ipad3, the moto xyboard, and a prime. I think the xyboard is going back. Idk though. I got the 4g xyboard. So I'm not dependant on wifi all the time

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
Decisions, decisions, decisions...what's a man to do?

monkey_man

Reaction score
I am a firm believer of Failure is always an option! Children break many precious things that would make any adults shake their head. Many adults would hesitate to spend money to cover things that our child broke, but I like these Curious Georges, as it will help them gain knowledge of it. e.g: I know more about computers and fixing them after I broke my parents computer and got reprimanded for it.

I am also a believer of sharing a knowledge. There is so much that one brain can do, so if you can have more brains to process more things, wouldn't that be helpful in progressing things faster? This is similar to why mirroring of a downloadable item (newbie/junior/senior rooters) is way better than accessing it from a central server (developer). This way it gives more longevity for the masses an access to it. I'll rather read these troubles to see if I can help, learn from it, or channel them to the right thread if their trouble is the same.

Threads about troubleshooting rants can be tiresome for some people which is understandable, but I also can't blame these OPers as they are in panic mode. When someone from different regions around the world is in a panic mode, it can lead to 4 or more new similar threads at one minute off each other. Hence, we can't assume nor judge these threads as being selfish and lazy by not finding information in the forum first. I give props to these pioneers tho so that others may learn from it in hope not to be in the same position.