OTA Update 10/4/2011

xraymo3

Reaction score
Did anyone else get an OTA update pushed to their phone last night? I FINALLY got my Bionic rooted using the old D3 root and as I was going to bed it was trying to push an update. I ignored it, but when I woke up this am, its still trying to download. It finally errored out, and went away. But I have no service now. No 3g, or 4g.

Obviously I dont want the update b/c Im rooted. I finally got my phone how I wanted it and now this. So frustrated. Any suggestions on what I should do? I've pulled the battery, restarted several times. Also whenever I restart my phone, the OTA update tried to load again... everytime

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I just checked my update thing...no update available. Maybe they are soak testing an update! In that case, I'd upgrade.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
I just checked my update thing...no update available. Maybe thirty are soak testing an update! In that case, I'd upgrade.

I thought that I couldnt update with Root, and its not recommended. Also, even if i wanted to update, I couldnt because like I posted in OP, i get an error everytime it tried to update. Everytime I reboot my phone it attempts and after 15-20 minutes it fails.

Reaction score
When I check for an update it says "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later."

Is that what everyone who's rooted gets?

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
When I check for the update it says that the update in resume in a few seconds. But it never will work because I do not have service since it decided to do this. And im rooted.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I'm rooted (SuperOneClick), hacked (SqLite tether edit), htc Since homescreen and other non application market Apps. Several days ago nothing worked. After sim card & battery in outs still nothing. Finally 4g restored but no calling ability. Eventually I spoke with Verizon. Did the 228 thing (I know... has no effect on 4g phone). I never saw an ota update though.

Phone worked once I headed to work. I believe the tower failed.

Point is, go on a drive b4 messing around with settings and Verizon. It could be the tower you're using.

Don't we have to a accept an ota or reject it? I. e. can't I refuse the ota and keep my Bionic the way I want?

Cinoib

Reaction score
I get that same message cilliepepprfly mentioned. I really don't want ota. It's like a knock on the door at 3 am. Nothing good comes from it (well, that's unless Moto gets religion and decides to ota open bootloader - NOT).

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
I'm rooted (SuperOneClick), hacked (SqLite tether edit), htc Since homescreen and other non application market Apps. Several days ago nothing worked. After sim card & battery in outs still nothing. Finally 4g restored but no calling ability. Eventually I spoke with Verizon. Did the 228 thing (I know... has no effect on 4g phone). I never saw an ota update though.

Phone worked once I headed to work. I believe the tower failed.

Point is, go on a drive b4 messing around with settings and Verizon. It could be the tower you're using.

Don't we have to a accept an ota or reject it? I. e. can't I refuse the ota and keep my Bionic the way I want?

I rejected it, and woke up 5 hours later to it trying to update.
I drive 30 minutes to work, and that didnt help. Called Verizon, she tried to reset me, no help.
She suggests that I Factory reset. I need to unroot to do this right?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I froze my updater. Maybe do that, freeze it with TiBu or change the name in Root Explorer.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I'm rooted and SQLited. No update notification. I know they're working on a bug fix update for us. I'm probably gonna accept because I love updates...lol.

They're probably just soak testing it right now.

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
I froze my updater. Maybe do that, freeze it with TiBu or change the name in Root Explorer.

updater 2.3.4?

Tgyberg, do i have to unroot to factory reset?

Im concerned that It wont work as I ended up using the D3 root from psouza4 website. The old one for windows 2003. The motorolaoneclick wouldnt work and neither would the Petes motorola root.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^If you factory reset you should still be rooted. It's always been that way for me. Oh and yes, updater 2.3.4!

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Stock phone in idaho, no mods no root
System version:
5.5.886.XT875.verizon.en.us
Android version 2.3.4
Checked updates and no updates available.

Last edited:
OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
Weird.
Well, I went ahead and factory reset. And I still dont have 3G service. It randomly comes in for half a second at times and then is gone. I guess I will be replacing this phone with another. Bleh... it worked for 2 days.
Also, after I factory reset, I looked for an update, and there wasnt any. Interesting to say the least... but whatever happened in the middle of the night killed my perfectly working phone.

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Don't quote me on this because I don't know, but it seems like only rooted phones tried to update. I would guess the verizon network noticed some phones with a different signature and thought those phones needed an update to the current software?