OTA kicked out root?

djstinso

Reaction score
I did the original root for the d4, where you downloaded the auto.bat and let it run through. After completing the OTA my phone worked fine until like 3 days later. I noticed I can not get into TiBu, Nor does my wireless tether work. They are both saying I lost root. I still have superuser but apparently no root. Then to top off my problem I have no internet other than WiFi. I have tried to force CDMA and still nothing. I am in a good 4g spot. My wife has the same phone but completely stock and hers has 4g when my phone is right next to it with nothing.

Any suggestions. was thinking maybe going through the ADB shell and getting rid of the super user and trying to root through safestrap???

Thanks for the help!

B-Unit

Reaction score
Run the motofail exploit again, the update broke root, but the hack still works. After you run it, all should be good again.

OP
djstinso

djstinso

Reaction score
Sorry it will take me a bit longer to reply since I have to use a PC at the moment. I will try the motofail again toda and report back with what happens. One point to edit I said it took 3 days before I lost my internet connection. I believe that was the next time my phone was power cycled.

OP
djstinso

djstinso

Reaction score
EDIT: regained root, but has anyone else lost all internet due to this ota?

BrinNutz

Reaction score
I accidentally installed the update half asleep. Lost root, and the one click moto fail doesn't work. How did you get yours going again?

OP
djstinso

djstinso

Reaction score
Actually the motofail worked right away for me. If it isn't working for you, have you tried using the adb shell and unrooting, then re-rooting your phone with motofail?

BrinNutz

Reaction score
Sure haven't. Not sure I even know how. Why can't this be easy like an OG droid?!

Ugh. Step by step guide anywhere? I searched for 4 hours last night with no luck other than the one click guide...

OP
djstinso

djstinso

Reaction score
Ok I will try to give you the best walk through I can:
First you need to search for an on-line program that is an ADB shell. (The one I used was android SDK manager I believe)
After you download it you have to figure out where in your computer it was saved to. (On Windows 7) mine was saved c: >program files (86x) > android > android-sdk
This is imprtant because you will have to recall it once you get into a dos prompt
Next you will be forced to do some updates on the program, specifically to download the tool that holds the ADB shell.
Once you have the ADB shell then go to start > type in "cmd"
Once there you will have to get back to the root drive by > cd.. > cd.. this gets you to c:\
Next type in order the path you got for where your program was saved. For me it was
cd Program Files (x86) > cd android > cd adroid-sdk > cd platform-tools
(c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
Now plug in your phone to the computer
Once here you are going to type "adb" and a lot is going to scroll across your screen
NOW EVERY LINE MEANS HIT ENTER AFTER COMMAND THIS "_" equals a space in the command
type : adb_usb (the program will restart in usb mode)
type : adb_devices (here you should see a long address of your phone followed by "device")
type : adb_shell
type : $_su
type : #_mount_-o_rw,remount_/dev/block/system_/system
type : #_rm_/system/app/superuser.apk
type : #_rm_/system/xbin/su
type : #_rm_/system/bin/su
(now it is complete)
type : exit
type : exit
You should now be back to the (c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
Now detach your phone, look in your apps to confirm that the superuser app is gone.
When confirmed type: exit
That will bring you all the way out.
This is by no means my knowledge it is knowledge I have gained from here and other avenues, I have just given you a step by step process where as I could not find one anywhere else on here.
Also I should put this whole disclamer thing in here for myself and droidforums.net.
This is truly not a hard thing to do if you are at all good with computers, however if you look at these steps and do not feel confident I would not proceed as you can thoroughly mess up your phone and at worse your computer.

BrinNutz

Reaction score
Awesome. I just couldn't find a step by step guide. Much appreciated yo! Mad props! I'll let you know how it goes.

TeeKay1

Reaction score
Lots of problems with the D4's root and the new update. Should I wait longer to root?

OP
djstinso

djstinso

Reaction score
The roots work, there just has to be the understanding that while using motofail every ota could potentially break root. The benefit for me is that it also means when ics comes out in an ota we will be able to get it with no issue

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
I used Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper, and it worked like a charm. You can grab it from the market here.

I know this kind of comes off as a "Captain Hindsight" moment (google it if you've not watched South Park), but it's an option for anyone else who comes upon this thread.