OTA Gingerbread

sallev1

Reaction score
I have attempted to OTA Gingerbread 5 times. I know-too many. after twice I reset the phone to factory build and then after that set it with wi-fi, etc.
But, each time while the entire 100mb file downloads to the phone, when the phone goes into the upload cycle (showing a black screen and then the droid cartoon with the file line showing upload) after about a third of upload, all of a sudden an exclaimation point appears and the phone reboots into Froyo. Then the phone says that the file failed to upload.
I've called VZ and they say that if after all, i've even reset the phone to factory and still no go, they will exchange the phone.
But is there a way to get around this and still get an upload, even through usb? This phone runs well and i really would rather not change it. Thanks

Chiknhawk

Reaction score
Has phone been previously rooted with Gingerbreak? I'm just asking because I have been having the same issue. What I did after my phone was rooted on Gingerbreak, I unrooted unfroze the bloatware, then factory reset. After that I tried the OTA Gingerbread update and it downloaded then during installation, it stopped halfway and rebooted and told me update failed. So what I ended up doing was SBF my phone to stock, wiped cache and data and did a system restore on my phone. That completely wiped my phone to stock. Then I tried the update again and it worked like a charm. If you wanna SBF, then google SBF 2.2.2 Froyo. Then you should find links to download the files. Then download latest Motorolas drivers, and download RSD lite. With these you should be able to SBF. Hope this helps.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
I was rooted/bloat frozen/supercharged/etc. I undid the changes basically in reverse order (the supercharge script conveniently has a "factory settings" option... nice touch) and was able to take the OTA update with no issues. I didn't have to SBF.