OTA Gingerbread Update: Root or Wait?

moomooplatter

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm trying to decide whether to wait for Moto to rise from their laggy arses and give us a gingerbread update for the dx2 or to go ahead and root it.

I personally feel that the update will be close to the release date, but that could be very wrong. Any hopes of unlocking or decrypting the bootloader?

What are you doing?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm trying to decide whether to wait for Moto to rise from their laggy arses and give us a gingerbread update for the dx2 or to go ahead and root it.

I personally feel that the update will be close to the release date, but that could be very wrong. Any hopes of unlocking or decrypting the bootloader?

What are you doing?

There are no roms available yet, so no reason to root now, in terms of ROMs.

You could root to freeze/remove apps via Titanium BU, etc., and rename otacerts to avoid any OTA releases that might remove root and wait for a rooted GB leak...

That's what I'd likely do. My wife is the one w/the DX2, and as soon as we've had it a little longer (to allow for any early HW failure to occur) I'm going to get her to let me root it so we can await a rooted GB ROM when it becomes available.

turboteal

Reaction score
GB is coming, i would wate for it,

the only question i have is if you need to root to get free teather without a rom ????

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
How easy is it to unroot with the Gingerbreak? If it's no big deal, then root and freeze the bloat. As soon as you start to see the OTA roll out, just put your phone back to stock quick.

Tboy72

Reaction score
How easy is it to unroot with the Gingerbreak? If it's no big deal, then root and freeze the bloat. As soon as you start to see the OTA roll out, just put your phone back to stock quick.

That's a good idea. I'm kind of new to android, and I did root my X2, but what I don't know is how to roll back a root and get the phone back to stock. Could you or anyone tell me how that is done.

I rooted using GingerBreak. dancedroid

ckburks

Reaction score
Should be as easy as unroot and reset to factory setting. I say uproot to get the update and not erase till u need to though.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Make sure you freeze apps and not uninstall them. A factory reset wont bring back uninstalled apps. You'll have to SBF

SkyNet Liberty AOSP