OTA from Verizon

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Meaning the "Existing Method" that's in the s4 development forum with the video will not work. That DOES NOT mean someone won't figure something out right?Also, why does this happen after the fact? I mean the phone is only a few months old. Why lock down things a different way all over again? Do they realize people figured out how to break in and want to play spoiler?BTW, mine is BRICKED :(
They lock it down because it is in their best interest. They can have their phone with their UI being ran the way they want it. Now that there are Google Editions of top tier phones (s4 and One for now), there is even more reason for manufacturers to lock down their devices. If users want the freedom of Android with no restrictions, they've set up the users to buy these Google Edition phones at retail. Sort of "you gotta pay to play" going on. By locking down their devices you're essentially being forced to use their software on their terms. Not a direction I really like, but it was heading in that direction anyway and with Google Edition phones they have even more incentive to lock down their stock devices.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
How did you BRICK it, did you flash a recovery image using ODIN, if you did, just go back into ODIN mode and re flash the original image, it should be on your PC.

That's exactly how it bricked. OTA was unsuccessful but I lost root. I figured I'd just go into ODIN and flash stock. I did that, but it failed in like 10 seconds. Phone said "do not unplug"but ODIN stopped running and nothing on the phone was moving so I HAD to eventually unplug it. When I did and started it back up, I get the firmware error message. I tried flashing again in ODIN (I can actually turn phone on in download mode) but again ODIN flash fails after about 5 seconds. Doing PDA and loading the stock image TAR file. UGH!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how it bricked. OTA was unsuccessful but I lost root. I figured I'd just go into ODIN and flash stock. I did that, but it failed in like 10 seconds. Phone said "do not unplug"but ODIN stopped running and nothing on the phone was moving so I HAD to eventually unplug it. When I did and started it back up, I get the firmware error message. I tried flashing again in ODIN (I can actually turn phone on in download mode) but again ODIN flash fails after about 5 seconds. Doing PDA and loading the stock image TAR file. UGH!

You should have known and I am sure the mod community would have let you know, that you should never try to load a stock software update from the manufacturer if you are rooted, you have a good chance of bricking the device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
You should have known and I am sure the mod community would have let you know, that you should never try to load a stock software update from the manufacturer if you are rooted, you have a good chance of bricking the device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

1. "You should have known" is a bit judgmental don't you think?

2. This had nothing to do with bricking the device nor have I ever heard of that happening with a stock update. Losing root...yes. Bricking phone, not at all. And that's not what bricked my phone per my original email.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Running stock, did ota, no problems. Was able to move apps to SD card. Have not figured out the trasparent notification bar thing. Stll looking for change log
y5y8y4u3.jpg

emytynej.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Oh yea, looks like HDR video is there now as well. As I recall, there was not a video icon when you were in HDR camera mode previously, it is there now. Hope to get out later or over the weekend to give it a test run to see if there is an appreciable difference. My guess is that it just tweaks the hue and saturation of the video.