OTA from Verizon

fishacura

Reaction score
Just got the OTA update on my Rooted VZ S4. Will let you know how it goes!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can tell you you're going to lose root if you install it

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Hmmm really? Guess I'll have to re-root after the fact. I wonder if I can still use the old method.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OTA updates will cause you to lose root. I hope you had OTA rootkeeper...

The old method of rooting may or may not work, the update may have changed some things and the old method may not work, but I'm sure it'll get worked around in a matter of days.

reybie

Reaction score
I read from yesterday's flurry of posts that even Rootkeeper wasn't able to keep root after the update.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
For those who are on stock rooted and want to get rid of the update notification, all you have to do is freeze SDM 1.0 with Titanium Backup. :happy:

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Not only did I lose root, the update ran and ran and after my phone rebooted it said it was unsuccessful even though it ran through to completion. Not sure how and now not sure how to re-run it. UGH!

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Just got the update....downloaded and installed just fine. Things I have noticed.....phone feels a little faster....opening apps like camera, phone, texts all seem faster. Also, the shutter speed in the stock camera app has gotten a little faster. The only other thing in the camera app that I noticed was the icon in the top left corner to switch between rear and front cameras is a slightly different icon. Other than those things I mentioned , everything else seems the same

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just got the update....downloaded and installed just fine. Things I have noticed.....phone feels a little faster....opening apps like camera, phone, texts all seem faster. Also, the shutter speed in the stock camera app has gotten a little faster.
Remember that ROM updates typically wipe both the app cache and the Dalvik cache, which will make any phone faster for a few days. :)

custom rom - Why Do I Need to Wipe Dalvik Cache? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

-Matt

markwebb

Reaction score
Anyone re-root since the OTA?

It is not possible: update broke root and locked bootloader tight. There is no solution.
If you have a Developer edition phone, the update does not touch the bootloader and one can install a custom recovery via Odin and then install a pre rooted rom.
AGAIN: NO SOLUTION OTHERWISE.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Meaning the "Existing Method" that's in the s4 development forum with the video will not work. That DOES NOT mean someone won't figure something out right?Also, why does this happen after the fact? I mean the phone is only a few months old. Why lock down things a different way all over again? Do they realize people figured out how to break in and want to play spoiler?BTW, mine is BRICKED :(

markwebb

Reaction score
Meaning the "Existing Method" that's in the s4 development forum with the video will not work. That DOES NOT mean someone won't figure something out right?Also, why does this happen after the fact? I mean the phone is only a few months old. Why lock down things a different way all over again? Do they realize people figured out how to break in and want to play spoiler?BTW, mine is BRICKED :(

Correct, and I strongly suggest everyone subscribe to XDA FORUMS where most of the best information is shared. As of now, no solution.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
How did you BRICK it, did you flash a recovery image using ODIN, if you did, just go back into ODIN mode and re flash the original image, it should be on your PC.